Tom and Jerry: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tom and Jerry: The Movie Reviews

May 15, 2017
The whole movie is a disgrace to one of the greatest classic cartoons ever made, with a sloppy and unfocused story that shamelessly rips off The Rescuers, bland and uninteresting animation, main characters who shouldn't be allowed to speak on a regular basis or act as nonviolent friends, side characters who are all a bunch of one-dimensional tropes, way too many antagonists, and songs that are cringeworthy and completely unnecessary. One of the absolute worst animated musicals of the 1990s.
April 23, 2017
I am a big fan of the Tom and Jerry cartoons and this movie is terrible. One thing I don't like is that Tom and Jerry talk a lot in this movie and become friends, unlike the cartoons. Also, this movie doesn't focus on Tom and Jerry and instead it focuses on this girl Robyn Starling. Ultimately, this movie is nothing but a big disappointment for fans of Tom and Jerry.
½ April 17, 2017
Tom and Jerry: The movie, this is my cryptonite. ITS SO BAD. How is it so bad my brother had to hide the television remote so I wouldn't turn it off? let's find out...

The story is a UTTER MESS. It's about Tom and Jerry helping a girl from her evil family, so exciting...

At least the animations fine! It's like your average old, traditional animation. Nothing great, but nothing bad too.

TOM AND JERRY TALK IN IDIOTIC VOICES, AND THE OTHER CHARACTERS ARE RUBBISH, overall, RUBBISH CHARACTERS.

AWFUL SONGS

Overall, Tom and Jerry: the movie is, AWFUL, with its generic story, songs that make NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD TOLERABLE, and making TOM AND JERRY TALK. A very bad movie, avoid it at all costs.
1/10
March 24, 2017
THIS MOVIE IS TERRIBLE! The acting is weak, the writing is hideous & the songs are horrible.
March 21, 2017
They talk. No really, complete sentences.. delivered by Broadway actors. Hollywood: greed trumps dignity.
December 28, 2016
Really? Everyone's favourite silent cat and mouse duo talk now? I know that the creators probably did it for cinematic purposes but come on, this isn't even a film adaptation of Tom and Jerry at all. It's just a sort-of rehashing of The Rescuers featuring Tom and Jerry. The movie practically focuses more on the character of Robyn Starling rather than the real reason the relatively few people went to go see it. I will admit its animation is of a good quality and it has a bit of charm as well as drama and will keep young children entertained. However, I will also admit that the most of the musical numbers are lackluster and that it was a generally poor decision to sacrifice the slapstick we've come to love in favour of a film which focuses on dark themes. It's not the worst animated film out there but this is more of something you'd rent than to buy before it goes back to its rightful place in the bargain bin.
December 15, 2016
Even though I'm clearly aware of the issues a lot of people criticize (especially the fact that tom and Jerry both talk), they doesn't stop me from finding this movie decent. Sure there were problems with it but at least it has some good things. This is certainly not the movie ever made, it could've been much worse, but it also could've been better... the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in a movie, I also really like the animation. I think I'm one of the few people in this world who doesn't think that this movie is that bad. It's not terrible, nor is it great.
½ October 10, 2016
Well l was just wonderable love tom and jerry their have the best relative keep their pal creator, but l only problem thought the movie wasen't given the more friendship, like tom standing there going save jerry from wrecking ball wreck over the house old nieces. the movie wasen't actually good their voice but l perher like tom and jerry have old best 40s cartoon shorts. so long movie l'll be wait another next future movies for my life.
½ August 21, 2016
With unfunny slapstick and voice acting, this is a betrayal for any Hanna Barbera fan. They talk and sing. Tom and Jerry, one of the most famous silent comic duos of all time. As the original comic was comic gold, this is unfunny sewage. Maybe this would have been better if it was the original 7 minuets of the cartoon.
July 6, 2016
Who the heck thought it was a good idea to make Tom and Jerry talk!? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!
½ May 21, 2016
Tom and Jerry the movie shamelessly gets everything wrong about what made the original cartoon so great, and rips off The Rescuers, while giving a thin plot, bland characters and inconsistent animation.
March 21, 2016
Su serie nunca me gustó!!! y hasta ahora lo único en que Tom y Jerry ha logrado llevar una buena crítica mía ha sido esta película. Fantástica y divertida, sin duda; pero más allá de eso fue una de las pocas veces que estos dos personajes llevaron una historia coordinada con un mensaje positivo detrás de ellos. Hay que tomar en cuenta que si el ratón comienza el problema no debe ser necesariamente el que gane sólo por ser el más pequeño, era realmente un mensaje vacío y superficial, pero que por primera vez fue dejado de un lado por esto personajes gracias a esta producción que ¡Por fin! nos permitió disfrutar de este dúo en una historia mejor realizada.
August 20, 2015
Hidden gem of a '90s kids movie. The story is the usual stuff, nothing amazing. It is notable though that it humanizes Tom and Jerry by letting them speak (becoming BFFs, naturally), and also features a female protagonist, which in the '90s was a much bigger deal than it is now. The songs (because there must be songs) are actually pretty decent for a non-Disney movie, and the animation is solid. It's only about 1 1/2 hours, so it feels wanting in terms of content, but for kids it will be about as long as they can stand. Overall, a great movie to watch with kids or simply for nostalgia.
August 19, 2015
The characters are forgettable and the fact that Tom and Jerry can speak was not the best move, but the film is still an enjoyable experience with the same slapstick that the TV series is known for.
½ June 29, 2015
Tom and Jerry proceed to talk and sing.

½ June 13, 2015
Sure it is a pack of cinematic vitamins for children, however, there is little fun in here for anybody who it is not. Even Tom and Jerry who are supposed to be enemies like each other. Where is the fun on this movie if it lacks the chaotic chases that make the classic cartoon so entertaining?
½ May 15, 2015
This film captures nothing the original show had. The slapstick isn't even funny. It's no wonder Tom and Jerry hasn't been the same after this garbage.
March 27, 2015
The animation is acceptable and somewhat truthful to the show and the music is hip and upbeat, but the characters are routine and underwritten, the story does not even try to relate to the show and the songs are easy to make fun of.
½ February 5, 2015
This is not a Tom and Jerry movie. This is a movie about a girl trying to find her dad, and has a bunch of useless musical numbers...and has a cat and mouse in there somewhere whose names just happen to be Tom and Jerry.
½ January 16, 2015
What a way to take the legacy of two of the most iconic animated mute slapstick masters of entertainment and run it through a sequence of awful writing, terrible animation rage-inducing songs and... By god...YOU GAVE THEM VOICES! YOU GAVE TOM AND JERRY VOICES !!! Stop ruining my childhood you absolute pancakes !