Tom Jones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tom Jones Reviews

½ June 20, 2014
Good movie? Eh. Albert Finney was great, and the visuals were well done, but the story was just disturbing to me, honestly. The only other movie I saw that was nominated for best picture that year was "Lillies of the Field", and this was no "Lillies of the Field".
May 15, 2014
Tom Jones certainly has technically interesting peculiarities (specifically breaking the forth wall aspect plus the silent beginning is a nice touch) and is an entertaining watch, but it is a movie made for rednecks thanks to a very rude and sexually obsessed story, a very unlikable lead, dated source material and a lack of interesting characters leading to what is arguably the weirdest Best Picture winner to date.
½ May 15, 2014
Stupidest movie I've ever seen
May 8, 2014
Albert Finney is tremendously fun as the adventurous Jones who always seems to have a nose for where the adventure is at.A strong supporting appearance by Susannah York.
½ April 21, 2014
How chance gives an uninteresting foppish man what he doesn't really deserve. It's presentation was bizarre, and not in a way that benefited the film.
December 21, 2013
A film that feels very ahead of its time. It may have been released in '63 but it remains as fresh and exciting a film as anything that might have come out this past week. I love it!
July 7, 2013
Entertaining and fun movie, very innovative and old fashioned.
June 8, 2013
It's dizzy with whimsy and sometimes witty, but Tom Jones is merely enjoyable, not quite great, due to a bit of sloppy editing and overall dated aesthetics. As hard as I tried to love this movie, I couldn't shake the feeling that these performances were very much over the top and the constant scrambling and movement were contrived in a masquerading attempt at a high energy atmosphere.
½ May 8, 2013
...what...the...frick?

Plot: The story begins with Squire Allworthy coming home from a trip to find a baby in his room. Thinking that his barber and one of his female servants had the child out of lust, he banished both and takes the child as his own naming him Tom Jones. From there the story is about Tom Jones all grown up with all these sorts of adventures of wooing or sleeping with women and eventually traveling to London and who knows what.

Again I say; what that frick? I may not have seen all of the best picture winners yet, but I think this one is easily the most messed up kind of movie to win. And comparing to all the really bit best picture screw ups from Broadway Melody to Shakespeare in Love, that's saying a lot. While just about all of the other best picture winner are romantic comedies, thrillers, romantic drama, and heaven knows what else, I really can't believe that at some point in the past, one of the winners is a comedy in this specific kind of style. Tom Jones is a comedy that starts off with a silent movie kind of sequence but is afterwords just this story film that is otherwise just a story based off a book apparently with even points where Tom Jones and a couple of other characters break the fourth wall. It's still a little fun enough to be something of a meh film - because while this film is hardly laugh out loud hysterical and doesn't really go over the top... like at all, it has its moments in being a little amusing with some of its jokes and its performances somewhat - but even so, it's still just a meh kind of movie, and it just is a marvel for me that a movie like this was even nominated let alone won best picture. I mean how it won, I have no idea. I understand that it's something of an adaption of some book, and it became such a huge deal in England...and...that's just it. I don't really know for sure why it won, I guess enough people thought it funny that the academy decided to make it the winner.

And that's my review for Tom Jones. It really is just some meh kind of comedy movie that even if it was something of a talk of the town back in it's day (at least in England for all we know for sure), but it doesn't really hold out to the point where people like me are just scratching their heads that this movie won best picture.
May 5, 2013
Best Picture Winner of 1963. This British comedy adventure is one of only a handful of comedies to win Best Picture. It gets an unfair reputation as being a mistake by the Academy. I found it to be charming and humorous thanks to Albert Finney. Director Tony Richardson uses comedic techniques like funny montages and characters breaking the fourth wall. This may seem silly, but it fits the movie and makes it entertaining to watch. Despite its funny demeanor, the film has scenes of drama and Tom Jones is just more than a handsome womanizer. It may not be the greatest Best Picture, but it is far from the worst. At least the Academy had the guts to vote out of the box, and Tom Jones is certainly out of the box.

Grade: B
½ April 28, 2013
Basically, the storyline of every 60s movie, regardless of portrayed period. Libertines are cool. Pious people are not. The former have a special ability to feel that those bound by social decorum do not. Things that are base are heralded, & things that are elevated are trampled. Deviancy is no big deal. It's all harmless.

All these counter-cultural movies portray the disreputable as the pinnacle of humanity, & the reputable as worthless & stuffy objects of contempt. They're all just such cute, clever, & lovable miscreants. Wiley little rascals! How can we then question what they do? I know it was presented in such a way where the audience was supposed to find him just irresistibly endearing...he annoyed me greatly.

It is not without achievement. The direction was superb, at times. Finney is very good. Many of the performers are. The mode of story-telling is quite unique & interesting. I did enjoy the hunting scene, but the direction in that scene was a little spastic.
More bad. I'm not sure if this film is the origination of the idea that a couple acting like retards was the universal sign of falling in love. The eating scene disgusted me one several levels. And the fact that the beautiful Miss Western would still be so unquestioningly & blindly given over to Tom Jones, despite anything he did whatsoever (multiple elicit affairs) is an insult to my intelligence & her character. She just always takes him back, & we're supposed to believe her to be a great lady.

He's continually referred to as our hero. Speak for yourself. Not mine.

Lesson: if you're related to the right people, you can get the girl.
February 26, 2013
The wanderings of the wittiest eighteen century bastard-gentleman. An enormous Albert Finney and an equally great supporting cast give life to Tony Richardon's vivacious, rhythmic and cunning storytelling. Full of charm.
February 15, 2013
Não é uma obra-prima, mas Tom Jones é uma rara comédia pastelão inteligente, com ótimo visual e excelentes performances de todo o elenco, principalmente Albert Finney, que está muito engraçado no papel titulo.
½ January 25, 2013
Lyric beauty, bawdy humor and adventure set to celluloid and music--It gives the sense of the joy of living through the movie media at the highest level!!
cosmo313
December 11, 2012
As this is an Oscar Best Picture Winner, I'm forcing myself to see it
½ October 18, 2012
Tom Jones, the adopted son of a British country squire, is a love-'em-and-leave-'em lady charmer who goes blithely from bed to bed, while managing to get into enough other mischief to come within moments of being hanged.
July 19, 2012
Including a famous seduction scene involving the rapturous eating of a meal, the best hunt ever filmed bar none, and a handful of zesty performances of outsized characters, this playful romp is hard to ignore and as much a testament to its time as 2001: A Space Odyssey, however much this testifies to a courser if truer side of human events.
July 2, 2012
Tom Jones speeds, races, jumps, and goes all over the place; and man what a fun ride it makes! This is a film which jumps out all over the place and has a lot of fun with the source material. Albert Finney is having an awfully good time and captures the nature of the Fielding character. Tom Jones is, in a sense, the precursor to One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest in that we follow a character who constantly rebels against the social norm and is more concerned with having fun than doing any real work. And that's what this film is, fun. It's delightfully cheerful and hilarious. The techniques employed in this film make it a perfect transition from the early 60s into the mid to late ones and create a general carefree atmosphere.
May 10, 2012
My favorite movie of all time! I loved Albert Finney in it, & Hugh Griffith was hilarious! I loved the movie "trick" where the actors occasionally turn to the audience & talk.
March 21, 2012
Yeah, the humor is hit or miss. Though Albert Finney is one charming scoundrel. But it's really a misfire.