Tombstone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tombstone Reviews

½ November 3, 2015
A solid addition to the western genre.
½ October 10, 2015
good but lengthy western
September 25, 2015
One of the greatest Western Movies of all time. There are so many one liners in this movie they are back to back. Great acting. Great acting even by the supporting cast.
September 23, 2015
It's not a historically-accurate film, but Tombstone stands as one of my favorite movies of all-time. The cast is impeccable (Val Kilmer turns in one of my favorite rolls in any movie I've seen), the music is outstanding - if there is one problem with the movie, it's that it can't be duplicated. There are few movies out there that I would call "favorite", and Tombstone definitely slots into that category. Of course, few people going to the theater today would appreciate the movie as much as audiences did.
September 17, 2015
One of the Best Westerns Ive seen the Cast was Great!
I'm your huckleberry
½ September 6, 2015
alright, shouldn't have waited this long to watch this movie.
½ September 6, 2015
alright, shouldn't have waited this long to watch this movie.
August 30, 2015
Love this movie. The sheer number of brilliant moments - not the least of which is Val Kilmer's peerless performance, make this one of the richest, most satisfying "westerns" I have ever seen...
½ August 22, 2015
This is a fun movie that of course takes dramatic license with history. Still, it gets enough things pretty much right. Earp was never hit by a bullet and vendetta ride is as interesting as the showdown at the O.K. Coral. But it isn't Russell's solid performance which is memorable. In Val Kilmer's best acting performance, he steals the show as Doc Holiday.
August 20, 2015
I couldn't figure out why I wanted to watch this movie over and over and yes, over. Sure, the writing is authentic, the casting perfection, direction amazing and of course the story is compelling in its theme but what it finally comes down to is that it's just so visually beautiful. It's a work of art that I never get tired of viewing. The scene in the bar with the yellow flowering bush in the background, the sunlight and warm colors and the camera work from inside the doorways... I could go on and on and that's why I never tire of watching this movie. And yes, Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott and the rest are all amazing to see and hear. I place this movie in my top 10 for all the right reasons a movie should be in someones top 10.
½ August 15, 2015
Except for its atmosphere, nothing about this movie feels genuine. "Tombstone" boasts underwhelming performances and bland dialogue.
½ July 8, 2015
Without Kilmer's performance this would be unwatchable.
June 27, 2015
This film showcases the best and worst of masculinity, oftentimes within the same character. The performances, casting, cinematography, and dialogue are startlingly good. The story is mostly great, though the women are pretty severely under-characterized. The editing is the one major flaw in the film, it's mostly passable, but several sequences are pretty rough in their construction and flow. The worst offense is the laughable, mood-murdering closing narration. However, what works in this film works very well. Val Kilmer's last scene in the film is shockingly powerful for both intangible and tangible reasons, chiefly that the scene is impeccably written, photographed, and acted. An underappreciated gem that I'm very glad to have been exposed to. Thanks Sjoerdsma.
June 26, 2015
Tombstone suffers from speedy scenes that tend to skip a lot of story to make-up time in in such scenes, the film loses many points. That being said, there is so much done well that it doesn't take away from the fact that this is a must-see western film. The story of Wyatt Earp is classic, Russell is great, and Kilmer steals the show. Earp is an outstanding western bad-ass thanks to Russell and it's a lot of fun to see, even if it could have been much better. (80%)
½ June 18, 2015
"I'm your huckleberry."
June 7, 2015
One of my favorite westerns!
May 29, 2015
As corny as it is awesome, there are lines that make me say 'scheesh' as well as inspiring classics. A few scenes make the movie and every man will be left wanting to be Doc Holliday.
May 24, 2015
Uneven Western that is great for the first 2/3's but falls apart at the end. The cast is excellent for the most part, with Kurt Russell giving one of his best performances as Wyatt Earp, playing him as someone who can believably stare down a man with a gun and gets great support from the rest of the cast, though there are so many some don't get the screen time they deserve. The highlight is Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday, giving the performance of his career in not only physically looking like a man stricken with tuberculous but also capturing his intelligence & sadistic demeanor. He's a man looking to die but wants to take a few with him along the way. Behind the camera, George Cosmatos does a solid job and the film gets credit for being more historically accurate than previous ones (Earp is depicting as a man more interested in making money with a vicious streak, while it's his brother Virgil that accurately leads as town marshal). There are some nice gunfights to, with the O.K. Corral shoot-out being one of the best ever filmed. Unfortunately, the final third falls apart at the end, turning into an action montage with little plot (though a few more nice scenes for Earp & Holiday). Overall, a very fun film to watch, despite it's flaws.
May 23, 2015
Great cast, holds up well for a film that allegedly directed itself 22 years ago.