Tommy Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tommy Boy Reviews

July 10, 2016
Honestly, one of the most quotable films I've seen. The scenes involving Chris Farley just doing a monologue is the stuff of legend when it comes to slap stick comedy. The plot really takes a back seat to the scenes between Chris Farley and David Spade making the movie seem like a loosely connected series of SNL skits. For what the movie is, its hilarious just with the scenes where its just Spade and Farley doing a sales pitch.
½ May 23, 2016
Chris Farley it's pretty much the only good thing about this movie and saves it from becoming forgettable - Overrated in my opinion.
May 19, 2016
Profiting from the charm of the late Chris Farley and the chemistry between him and David Spade, Tommy Boy is a very enjoyable comedy that even manages to keep some heart to it.
March 28, 2016
So I watched I am Chris Farley and I heard this movie got bad reviews. I see that anybody can become a critic these days. This movies is the best comedy of all time. If you don't think it is the best it will still be one of your favorites. If you don't find it funny then you need to lighten up and enjoy life.
½ February 29, 2016
Tommy Boy is a great comedy that is the funniest that you can see from Chris Farley and David Spade. Chris Farley and David Spade are a great team and have funny chemistry together. The plot is predictable which is pretty usual for a comedy film. The characters are decent, and the soundtrack is good which was used as a comic device which got a laugh out of me. There's some good jokes in it, and it's interesting and funny to see how the characters do business. Tommy Boy doesn't really focus on the plot which was the weakest part of it, but it does focus on the humor which is effectively well done and honestly saved the film.
February 27, 2016
A riveting tale of American capitalism at its best, Tommy Boy pierces right to your soul with non-stop laughs, giggles, bouts of mania, and times of tear-jerking sadness.This is a good buddy comedy, its a feel-good movie, and it makes me wish Chris Farley were still here. David Spade's sarcasm played well off of Farley's character.They were a good duo.
½ February 27, 2016
I have a fondness for Farley, which has grown over the years since he departed. Unfortunately this was a bit of a struggle to get through. Still, had some moments of Farley brilliance, but they were few and far between.
February 14, 2016
"Tommy Boy" is a classic and hilarious film starring two of comedies best duets ever: Chris Farley and David Spade. The jokes are frequent and it has a big heart, but the end of the day it is just another way for Chris Farley to charm the pants off you.
February 13, 2016
Very 90s, but still pretty funny in a stupid way.
February 12, 2016
Is this stupid? You bet! Did I laugh non-stop the whole way through? Absolutely.
½ February 5, 2016
Chris Farley kills it man, these critics are fools
February 2, 2016
Lol hilarious I love this movie
½ January 17, 2016
Yet another comedy that would have gotten a perfect score from me... If I'd seen it for the first time. Unfortunately, 'Tommy Boy' falls into the 'I've seen it too many times' pile and the jokes no longer hold up. That being said, If you see this film for the first time and you are looking for pure goofiness and slapstick, Tommy Boy is a great choice. Chris Farley has so much energy and is so likeable as the adorable idiot. It's the perfect movie to watch when you have a little bit of booze in your system.
January 5, 2016
While it's formula, it's formula that has a genius (Farley) who is at his best when paired with Spade.
January 4, 2016
One of Chris Farley best movies. funny!
January 3, 2016
Tommy Boy is a good silly/funny movie that reminds us how much Chris Farley's style is missed. There are a lot of crazy/funny moments in this movie but some of the jokes are not hilarious. At times it's hilarious and other times, you think "is that supposed to be funny?". It's a good watch if you like comedies but there are a lot of good comedies out there. 3/5 OR 6/10
December 27, 2015
All you can really say is "Fat guy in a little coat!"
½ December 18, 2015
The two leads provide good chemistry but the movie overall isn't actually that funny and too ridden with cliches to be too much more than your average dumb comedy.
December 13, 2015
Chris and David are so funny. Def some quotes from this movie. However, the plot was really dumb and uninspiring because you've seen it a thousand times.
December 11, 2015
Tommy boy really grabs your attention and never lets go for the full hour and thirty-seven minutes, it will have you leaving T.V hurting because your stomach hurts from all the laughing. The movie is a classic comedy and I urge everyone to go and see it. It is a good classical comedy that actually has some original funny stuff, unlike the raunchy stuff now that really isn't that funny. I will explain why I personally love it and why I think it falls under the category as a "comedy." Tommy boy is a classic example of what a good comedy should be. It has serious comedy, some stupid comedy, and everything in-between

As the movie starts off we are introduced to a character named Tommy Boy (Chris Farley), he struggles with school and it takes him eight years to finish a basic college degree. He then moves back to his hometown in Ohio to work at his father's automotive plant. His father introduces his new Fiancée to Tommy, Tommy instantly falls in love and he falls in even more love with his new brother-in-law. At Tommy's dads wedding, his dad has a heart attack and ends up dying which causes the company to go into a panic with bankruptcy. The only way the company can stay alive is if someone goes on this big sales trip Tommy's dad was going to go on before he died.

No one want's to go and so the company is getting ready to sell when Tommy comes up with this idea to go on the sales trip with someone from the company that knows everything there is to know about the company's automotive parts, his name was Richard. Tommy and Richard travel all across the states, at first Tommy is a terrible sales person and doesn't sale anything. He then finds his salesmen side and starts closing deal after deal, enough to keep the company alive. Tommy's step-mom and step-brother have been planning on sabotaging the company ever since the beginning because if they do they get a huge amount of money from stock options. In the end it is a race between Tommy and Richard vs. step-mom and step-brother and they race to who can either save the company or destroy it for personal gain. The reason why Tommy Boy is such a lovable character is because he's funny but because he is a loving guy, you know he wouldn't really hurt anyone and he isn't judgmental he's just good ol' loving Tommy. Overall this movie is really funny and I do believe that it is considered a true comedy, and one of the best things to help with this is the actors.

The best actor that makes this movie what it is has got to be Chris Farley. Farley really brings out an amazing character in being Tommy boy, you really feel like you know Tommy and all his faults. His acting makes it so you can feel a deep connection, whether that makes you feel emotion and tear up or if it makes you laugh so hard that you may quite literally not be able to catch a breath. He has some of the funniest quotes in this movie out of all the movies I have seen, still to date. Another really funny actor is David Spade as Richard. Spade really does a good job at being a supporting actor, he has some really funny lines himself but mainly he just kind of sets up the jokes for Farley to give the final touch to. Like when they are fighting in front of the diner and Tommy ends up hitting Richard with a piece of wood - that scene was hilarious and Spade was the one that set it up. The two of these actors really bond in this movie and you can really see it happen, it doesn't seem fake at all, they really seem like brothers or best of friends.

This movie has many qualities of a comedy, funny cast, good script, original jokes, and hilarious scenes. This all ties together to form an extremely comical movie. The script of this movie is quite clever, it has many jokes that you really have to think about or that just aren't too obvious which I think is really good. The originality and hilarious scenes tie in together as one, because they didn't copy any scenes from any other movie or didn't use anyone else's jokes like what happens nowadays with movies. One of the biggest contributes to the success of this film I think has got to be the acting, this movie has some really good actors.

Tommy boy is a seriously good comedy with a funny cast, a good script, some original jokes, and very hilarious scenes. I would strongly suggest that people go out and watch the film, you will not regret your choice and will be delighted with how you feel better because of how much you laughed in the hour and thirty-seven minutes that it takes up.