Tomorrow Never Dies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tomorrow Never Dies Reviews

½ October 22, 2016
Undeniably a step backwards from the near-perfect 'Goldeneye,' yet still extremely thrilling, it does fall back occasionally on Bond cliché, which leaves us as an audience Shaken by the stunning action, but not necessarily Stirred on an emotion level that it's predecessor manages to capture to perfection.
Verdict: B
½ September 30, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Tomorrow Never Dies has all the great elements of it's predecessor, but it's a big step up because we actually get to see this version of Bond properly developed, to the extent where he feels like a real human as opposed to a meaningless action hero. Because of this, it's easier to take the crazy action with a bit less lateral certainty, and it instead becomes a harmless and engaging bit of fun. That action is great too, and it's helped immensely by the incredible score...
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Look beyond that spectacle and it has to be said that the plot is fairly poor and the structure is pretty thinly laid out; particularly in the moment-to-moment build-up.
VERDICT: Sit back and enjoy the action - it's a return to fun from Bond with some really great moments. Shame it's just a little too formulaic.
August 5, 2016
One of the weakest entries in the series, steering away from the somewhat darker tone of GoldenEye, firmly back into Roger Moore territory. Brosnan tries much of the time to play it straight, but the story is too superficial and the dialogue often too silly, with possibly a record number of excruciating puns (thanks to Bruce Fierstein, the guy who wrote all GoldenEye's dud-liners, here the solo writer), for this approach to work.

Director Roger 'Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot' Spottiswoode doesn't help, treating things as superficially as his writer. Sure, a Bond director should avoid imposing a style that is at odds with what people expect from a Bond movie - *koff!*Tamahori*koff!* - but SOME style would be nice. The look of this movie has dated much more than those either side of it - both handled by skilled, seasoned directors who understood the aesthetics of a Bond film. This guy just...doesn't.

The villain, Elliot Carver, isn't exactly a formidable nemesis, and Jonathan Pryce plays him as an entitled, whiny little snot. Despite the heinous acts he has his minions carry out, he has no menace to him whatsoever. His henchman, Herr Stamper, is not a particularly distinctive character. Gotz Otto makes him come off like a scowling poseur. Again, no menace. The rent boy get-up doesn't help. The idea of Bond having to reconnect with a past lover is perhaps the most interesting aspect of the plot, but Paris is so annoying you can see why he left her in the first place. Or maybe that's just because she's played by Teri Hatcher, of whom I've never been a fan. Ricky Jay is OK, but his character, Gupta, seems to have wandered in from a different movie. Vincent Schiavelli could never disappoint me, but his character, the evil torturer Dr Kaufman, who could have been a classic henchman, is played entirely for laughs. While his scene is pretty funny, it could have been so much more had it not been treated with such a light touch. Moneypenny, who was modernised a bit in Goldeneye, reverts back to her old form here, and has probably the worst lines in the movie. Samantha Bond does what she can with it, but, like Brosnan, that isn't much. The talents of Geoffrey Palmer and Colin Salmon are pretty much wasted. Joe Don Baker's Wade, who served as comic relief in GoldenEye but still managed to qualify as a character, is here a buffoonish caricature in a ridiculous hat.

Wai Lin is just as badly written as everyone else, and Michelle Yeoh is ridiculously overqualified to play her. She's one of my favourite actresses ever to play a Bond 'girl', but there's just nothing she can do with such a bland character. There is one scene in which she gets to show off her kung-fu skills, but it feels like it's been spliced in from a better (though still not great) movie.

The motorcycle/helicopter chase is an interesting idea, especially the touch of having Bond and Wai Lin handcuffed together, forcing them to cooperate and trust each other. But it's stupid that out of all the bikes they had to choose from they chose the biggest, heaviest one there - that just happened to be a BMW. I remember someone (possibly Spottiswoode, but I don't care enough to check) saying they didn't want them to just happen upon a lightweight, zippy trailbike when they needed one, and wanted to give them a challenge. If that's the case, ALL the bikes should have been heavy cruising bikes, otherwise why the hell WOULDN'T they choose a lightweight, zippy trailbike?

And then, of course, Wai Lin removes her lockpick earring and opens the cuffs - AFTER the chase, because...I don't know.

The best bit of action is the car chase, in which they seem to have tried to make up for the lack of car gadgets in GoldenEye by cramming in every trick imaginable. It is very silly, with Bond using his tricked-out phone to drive by remote control from the back seat, but good fun. The only problem I have is that, again, it's a BMW, and this time it's a sedan. A BMW sedan. BMW. Sedan.

Sheryl Crow's theme song isn't great. It doesn't sound like Sheryl Crow, as though she's trying too hard to emulate the 'Bond theme' genre, rather than bringing her own style to it. The rejected original song, written by David Arnold and Don Black and sung by k.d. lang, is a better song, but too much of a throwback for my taste.
July 29, 2016
4.5 out of 10:

Despite some good action scenes, Tomorrow Never Dies suffers form a bland, rehashed story and a slow pacing.
½ July 28, 2016
After the first quarter or so, the action picks up and doesn't stop. The drill was pretty cool. Jonathan Pryce was an awesome villain.
July 28, 2016
A action thrill that isn't better than Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies is pretty by-the-numbers
July 25, 2016
Jesus, Bond has so many girls in this film it's scary. The action is drawn out too far, like a Michael Bay film. Which is a problem when it comes to bond.
July 23, 2016
Slightly better than GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies is average, not in quality, but in action, among other things.
½ July 4, 2016
Not as good as GoldenEye, but still a fun Bond film nonetheless
July 1, 2016
Typical James Bond movie with good action, stunts and an interesting story line. I like Pierce Brosnan as the next James Bond and this time his leading lady does some good action stunts too
June 10, 2016
It's fine, it's whatever. It's got parts.
½ May 23, 2016
Oh the memories. I grew up playing the PlayStation game long before I even saw the movie. It might not be the highest rated film of all time but it is still fun nonetheless. It's kind of cool to see James Bond working with another agent together as a team. And I really like that tough henchmen. He was cool. Lots of chases, lots of explosions, and plenty of fun cheesy lines, that for me make it a classic Bond film. It kind it even has the feeling of a war film. So all in all, great film.
May 13, 2016
This movie got very harsh reviews IMO. It wasn't a great Bond movie but I pretty much enjoyed it till the final 20 mins of it which I felt was a pretty crappy ending/climax.
May 7, 2016
While there action and the stunts are impressive, the story is another cliche "start another Third World War". Even though Bronson is a bit of a stiff, he still looks good as Bond. The overall film gets boring real fast because there is no way the viewer believes Bond is going to lose.
½ May 3, 2016
Better than the first one.
April 25, 2016
More than a bit of a drop off from GoldenEye, but still enjoyable.
jamrcla
½ April 17, 2016
Even though I'm giving it the same rating as Pierce Brosnans first Bond effort it's not as good thanks to the absolutely stupid plot, Starting WW3 just to get better ratings on your TV show is just beyond silly for a plot especially a Bond Film, The action was pretty fun but yet again the silly one liners ruined them, Some good stunts and a nice bike chase too but apart from that there's nothing new or memorable, If you're looking for good action you will be happy if you want a solid well acted Bond film with a good story you will leave very dissapointed.
April 11, 2016
A cool Brosnan/Bond Sequel that doesn´t lack on its action-packed sequences, among the best car scenes(BMW 750il) nor the intressting villian but on everything else.
March 26, 2016
Not as intriguing or gloriously entertaining as Goldeneye, and there is nothing interesting or intimidating about Jonathan Pryce as the Steve Jobs-looking villain, but still Tomorrow Never Dies has just enough amount of action and usual Bond zingers, and Pierce Brosnan is a perfectly fine Bond.
March 25, 2016
Over-the-top to the Nth degree, Tomorrow Never Dies is a masterful exercise in action cinema. As a Bond film it disregards subtlety for style which can be a good thing if you like your action sleek and exciting.