Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am Reviews

• Nov 08, 2019

Refreshingly honest, 'Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am' is a first person account of the beloved author and it's pretty great. Intermingled with lots of photos from decades ago, and interviews with friends, colleagues, and admirers, Timothy Greenfield-Sanders weaves together a wonderfully positive documentary. The two hour runtime flies by as the words of Morrison are bathed upon you like glitter. I have not had the pleasure of reading a Morrison book, but i will now. Perhaps this is one giant commercial, but it's quite effective. When the dustbin of history is uncovered centuries from now, it's pretty clear Morrison will go down as one of the most revered American authors. To be clear, there isn't any negativity here. If Morrison did have any flaws they're not shown. The movie is primarily talking heads, and one of them is Oprah Winfrey. That's a pretty big get. Definitely worth watching with a cup of tea. Final Score: 8.6/10

• Sep 02, 2019

Wonderful look at Toni Morrison & her story—loved this powerful line about how racist or supremacist ways of thinking & being damage white folks as well: “If you can only be tall if someone’s on their knees, then there’s something wrong with you.”

• Sharon
    Aug 27, 2019

Wonderful documentary!

Wonderful documentary!

• T L
    Aug 27, 2019

A final love note to a beloved.

A final love note to a beloved.

• Rolanda
    Aug 23, 2019

This documentary was excellent! It was well done, a history lesson and had a variety of messages and take aways for the viewer. Her writing challenges many readers but to get this inside and personal view to what drove her storylines was wonderful. Toni Morrison was a woman of great strength and I am extremely grateful to have had a chance to see this on the big screen.

• Derrick M
    Aug 22, 2019

A complete review and elegy for Toni Morrison and her oeuvre.

A complete review and elegy for Toni Morrison and her oeuvre.

• Aug 20, 2019

Wonderful film and great story of the brilliant woman that she was! She truly had her priorities right and excelled in both being an exceptional mother and writer! Loved, loved, loved this film!

• Jandel B
    Aug 19, 2019

I tried to click five out of five stars but the this website is not letting me. The documentary was phenomenal, the truth of testimonials. Ms. Morrison is deeper than I ever knew.

• Aug 18, 2019

The only film I have ever seen twice. No matter how many times I might see this, each time would bring a new revelation--about art, literature, humanity, blackness.

• keely w