Too Big to Fail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Too Big to Fail Reviews

September 13, 2013
Very compelling look into the great crash of 2008 and how we got there. Decades of government deregulation set up the system to consume itself and collapse. It happened before....it'll happen again.
½ August 8, 2013
Very good acting and interesting real life dramatization of how the stock market collapsed in 2008.
½ May 27, 2013
A great story without an angle.
April 19, 2013
Curtis Hanson's razor-cut clean direction alongside an amazing cast sets new standard for TV films.
April 12, 2013
Nada mas cercano a la realidad; ah perdón si te puedes llegar a molestar con la verdad incomoda, mejor NO la veas.
February 27, 2013
It's a decent, not-great TV movie. The cast is solid but the script is pretty lazy. Taken in a disinterested macro view, the movie is just a bunch of scenes of suits on cell phones and in board rooms telling each other things are worse than they said last time, and begging people to give other people money. Unlike, say, a documentary of the financial crisis, you don't get much in the way of a technical explanation and the actual problem is discussed very superficially. You do feel for Paulson as he is just bombarded by a demented whack-a-mole game that just keeps getting more and more nightmarish with each hit of the mallet. This company is short 15 billion. Wow, that sucks. Actually 70 billion. Actually 180 billion. Actually 780 billion. Actually all of them and it's going to be worse than the Great Depression. You wonder where was the help for Paulson from the administration, you wonder how nobody in congress even knew what was going on, you wonder why they deal with every problem in an ungodly informal arrangement between chums. But most of the characters outside of Paulson are just stock, type cast, and mailed-in performances, and there isn't that much of a dramatic arc except the arc of history, which is a tension build and a resolution. That's fine with me but not with a lot of people.That the characters do not change is a criticism a script analyst would give of this movie. It deals with present day figures so the acting looks bad throughout with the exception of Hurt as Paulson. All in all, if you were only marginally interested in watching this movie as entertainment and you don't care about the financial crisis, you shouldn't watch this movie. And you might not appreciate it much if you are an expert on the financial crisis. This movie really appeals only to the people in between those two groups.
February 11, 2013
If someone wants to take a shortcut instead of reading the whole book, then this movie is a must watch.
February 9, 2013
Great film detailing the 2008 Wall Street financial crisis and the decision by the U.S. government to bail out the major banks.
January 26, 2013
I know this is not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Even watched on iPad. If you are not interested in the market and $$$ then this is probably not for you...
January 17, 2013
good period pic Chronicles the financial meltdown of 2008 and centers on Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
½ January 12, 2013
Enjoyed it immensely. I do think HBO documentaries romanticize certain figures to the point of inaccuracy. Saw it in game change too.
January 6, 2013
Excellence in every aspect; casting, acting, production, script & dialogue, story-boarding. Rich characters portrayed with punch and story driven in high gear.

I wouldn't have thought it possible to make finance exciting, but if you have an interest in finance or the story focus, you'd be cheating your self to miss it.
December 6, 2012
How I wish that it is just a work of fiction.
November 24, 2012
Good behind the scenes look at the big crunch
½ October 14, 2012
Real to paper to reel .....great depiction of human behaviour during the credit crisis..
September 25, 2012
Classic, it's like goodfellas in 2008
September 22, 2012
Not as interesting as the book but still worth a watch.
½ September 10, 2012
I found this riveting and perfectly cast! However, I watched Frontline's "Inside the Meltdown" just before watching otherwise I would have been really lost! I highly recommend this movie with just a bit of research before hand so you can really get into it and be amazed at what a potentially earth shattering thing was really going on in 2008!
½ September 10, 2012
Interesting account of the 2008 financial crisis
September 8, 2012
Very good dialogue, portrait of the chain of events and the understanding of player and the business culture is great.