Too Funny To Fail Reviews

• Jul 05, 2019

Inspirational documentary for anyone trying to do something different in the world! "The bolder you make your choices, the greater the upside." So funny, I found myself laughing out loud so hard "with them", it's just amazing!

• Apr 01, 2019

Wow. This was dull, even for a documentary - even for a documentary about a show that wasnâ(TM)t funny, put together by self-important, insular boys who think theyâ(TM)re hilarious but arenâ(TM)t to anyone other than themselves and a few people just like them. The Dana Carvey Show didnâ(TM)t fail because Taco Bell pulled its sponsorship or because it was too much for network tv. It just wasnâ(TM)t funny to anyone who could stay up past 7:30.

• Mar 05, 2019

Easily one of the funniest, and oddly heartwarming, documentaries I've ever seen. A look into 90's television and how insane the network television gold rush was. There is one part in particular that I laughed so hard at, that is woke up my family sleeping on the other side of the house. If you are interested in documentaries, behind the scenes comedy, the 90's, or the start of the careers of some of the most talented people in show business (Carvey, Colbert, Carell, C.K., Kauffman, Carlock) then this doc is a Must-Watch.

• Apr 10, 2018

This is just so right up my alley...punk rock, subversive, hilarious, smart. Sure, it's a documentary, but it's easily one of the funniest movies of the year (Colbert and Carrell reacting to 90's ad that said, "a very special episode of Home Improvement, followed by the Diet Mug Root Beer Dana Carvey Show"). A surprisingly poignant and consistently hilarious look at an epic failure.

• Feb 12, 2018

An oral history, with clips and highlights, of one of the 1990s' most notorious flops. Riding high as a celebrated Saturday Night Live alumni, fresh graduate Dana Carvey had his choice of suitors / collaborators / formats. His picks were spot-on for everything but the broadcast partner, as he drafted a staggering cast of pre-fame talent (Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Louis CK, Robert Smigel, even a few episodes with Bob Odenkirk) but then tossed the brilliantly absurd, counter-culture fruits of their labor to primetime ABC. Even before Disney purchased the network, this marriage was doomed. It's a fundamentally simple story, perhaps too scant for a full-length feature, and that leads this documentary to feel somewhat padded. There's lots of fun material - candid footage of the baby-faced soon-to-be superstars auditioning, goofing around in the writer's room, looking back fondly upon the experience - but too often relies on highlights from the show or awkward bits stolen from other, tangentially-related programs and films. As this was produced by Hulu, which just so happens to be the show's online home, you'd think the goal would be prodding unfamiliar viewers to move right on to a binge-watch, to judge the material for themselves. Instead, I felt like I'd already done so.

• Jan 25, 2018

This is SO fantastic.

This is SO fantastic.

• Dec 02, 2017

Fantastic documentary. It's worth paying for a month of Hulu to watch this doc and the original show. As meone who works in television it's fascinating to see the freedom they were given by the network - it was progressive even to prime time standards 20 years later. I think any student of film or anyone trying to get into comedy as a career will find a lot of value.

• Nov 30, 2017

Great documentary. The behind-the-scenes story is compelling and answers why the show wasn't received better. I only saw the show once or twice when it was on, and never realized what was happening. It reminds me of the Ben Stiller show, which won an Emmy for writing right after it was cancelled.

• Nov 18, 2017

When they showed the 'Home Improvement' commercial to the cast I fucking died. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile and had to pause this documentary to give myself time to compose myself in order to continue watching.

• Oct 28, 2017

Great story of a show that seemed to good to be true at the time and even more so upon further inspection. To see true giants in comedy looking upon something that could be seen as their biggest failure and see if as something special for them. Must watch.