Too Late for Tears - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Too Late for Tears Reviews

September 12, 2012
Unfortunately, one of the slowest and, thus, least thrilling noir films. Too Late for Tears covers the story of a ruthless dame, driven by sheer greed. After a bag full of money ends up in her and her husband's car during a ride, and he intends to leave the money in a locker and forget about the whole story, Jane goes on a rampage. First, she 'accidentally' shoots him while on a boat, and then she plays a risky game with the actual owner of the little fortune. She doesn't want to share, she doesn't want to leave any clues, so she smartly plans the whole intrigue and realizes that there might be a chance of her leaving with the bag all by herself. However, as the viewer quickly finds out, her husband's sister, aided by a suspicious character, find out about her deeds. Lizabeth Scott is brilliant as the femme fatale.
February 16, 2012
Thriller a couple get a bag of money accidentally thrown into a car that results in dire occurances. Turns the wife into a killer.
January 29, 2012
Greatest Femmes Fatales in Classic Film Noir
½ August 18, 2011
I gotta say, "Too Late for Tears" aka "Killer Bait" is one of my favorite film noirs! Jane and Allen (Scott and Kennedy) are a bickering couple who's world is rocked when a case with almost a million dollars lands in their car. Allen wants to hand it over to the police, but Jane wants to keep it. When he won't give in to it, she kills him in anger (which is not a spoiler). From then on, she'll do anything to keep her paws on the loot, even if she has to cheat and kill along the way. . . I can definitely call myself a huge film noir fan, and after seeing so many I can say Lizabeth Scott is my favorite actress in the genre. By now, she had made very important noir pictures including "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", "Dead Reckoning" and, "I Walk Alone". All of them have been good, but this one has got to be my favorite. "Too Late for Tears" was originally released in 1949, and then re-released in 1955 as "Killer Bait", therefore explaining the two names. I can imagine both times, audiences really liked it, as I did. Unlike most film noirs, Scott is the lead AND the femme fatale, when usually the woman is a sidekick or supporting character. It's such a nice change of pace, considering how great Scott's performance is. This has got to be one of her best-- she's usually pretty wooden, but here is so entertaining and two- faced as Jane. I loved every second I saw of her. Duryea is also one of my favorites, and did not disappoint me here, even though this is more of a type-casted role. His weird lispy, whiny way of talking confined him to film noir, which is not a problem. His voice might be strange, but is somehow menacing in his shady character. He and Scott might not have the best chemistry, but are very good as partners in crime. It's great to see them in a film together because this twosome provides quite a big amount of entertainment. "Too Late for Tears" is a excellent movie, and it's a shame that it's confined to the "save" category.
rubystevens
½ March 14, 2011
wow what a performance by lizabeth scott! well she's a little less wooden than usual anyway. mild mannered housewife morphs into psychotic killer when a suitcase full of cash lands in her car. it's a shame this film isn't better known. it's public domain and not in the best condition. there were some really abrupt cuts in the version i saw. i hope this gets a restoration one day. lizabeth deserves it!
March 14, 2011
If you value your life, don't come between Lizabeth Scott and her money!
½ January 19, 2011
Great Film Noir Lizabeth Scott is a real devilish Femme Fatale
October 24, 2010
An exciting, thrilling tale of money, crime, and marriage. I really liked this movie.
October 2, 2010
Fun film noir with an entertaining premise
August 8, 2010
"What do I call you besides Stupid?" 60,000 dollars drops into the lap of a somewhat happily married couple and the next thing you know...well, this is noir so of course Lizabeth Scott's house frau ain't all sandwiches and laundry--she's a beast and her slick partnership with Dan Duryea's two-bit thug is all kinds wrongheadedness. The dialogue is whipsmart and the first half crackles with electric intensity, but the involvement of the snarky Don DeFore and sister Kristine Miller bogs the film down a bit and the climax leaves a little to be desired. Still, it's a solid entry in the genre and well worth checking out. VF.
July 4, 2010
Surprisingly good. Our femme fatale here was rather a psychopath.
November 12, 2009
A suspense B-noir with many good twists and turns. The movie never seems to end in that great, noirish, lost-in-the-tangled-plot sort of way. Lizabeth Scott plays a great femme fatale who stumbles on $60,000 with her husband, then kills him with the help of Dan Duryea, the owner of the money who tracks the couple and demands his money back from Scott. Nice acting by Scott and good plot movement all the way up to a climactic finale in a Mexico hotel room.
½ September 17, 2009
Lizabeth Scott! Dan Duryea! Arthur Kennedy! Don Defore! With a script by Roy Huggins! The only thing missing is Raymond Burr. Terrific film noir about a couple who accidently come up on $60,000 in small unmarked bills. Should they turn it in or keep it? Dan Dureyea wants it back. Very well done story with a lot of great twists and turns. Good location shooting at Union Station and other spots in Los Angeles. Kristine Miller is a little stiff as Kennedy's sister, but she is more of a classic beauty than the wicked Scott. A must-see for noir fans.
½ June 18, 2009
Lizabeth Scott is a bad, bad, bad girl in this film. She lies. She connives. She schemes. She even kills all to get her paws on Dan Duryea's loot! I agree with the other reviewers, this isn't a great film, but it's great fun!
September 13, 2008
6.5/10. I am not sure what it is about Lizbeth Scott, but I find her fascinating. Dan Duryea is terrific as the heavy. Saucy dialogue, a fine film noir. Good photography. Entertaining.
½ August 7, 2008
not a bad premise but just... lame
July 5, 2008
Another good Noir. The pacing for this one is pretty unusual. One character died much quicker than I was expecting with another lasting much longer than I thought. Has a pretty good femme fatale .
April 8, 2008
Moral of the story: a woman will kill men for money. Every time.
March 3, 2008
Woman getting one-upped is like the most awesome theme in any noir film. Personally, watching this, I now have a secret attraction for Byron Haskin. This is his second film I've watched and it was sweet. I love the acting and the lines the most, it makes you want to laugh amid the chaos and tragedy and troubles.