Tootsie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tootsie Reviews

½ October 1, 2015
A laugh riot of an instant classic, "Tootsie" is comically quirky and thematically smart.
½ September 28, 2015
Charming and with a lot to say, Sydney Pollack's "Tootsie" marks a high point in the careers of Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange, and everyone else involved.
½ September 17, 2015
Tootsie is often very funny and the cast of Hoffman, Lange & Murray is outstanding. It may be a tad overrated, but still great for an occasional watch.
September 12, 2015
A masterpiece. Not only my favorite comedy of all time, but one of my top 10 favorite films EVER. Everyone should see it. EVERYONE.
June 26, 2015
Tootsie is nowadays a bit dated in its depiction of sexes and it is never as funny as it should have been, but its humor does provide some memorable moments and the premise is very smart and authentic if the movie never quite uses it to its full extent. But the character development is superb, the approach is realistic, the plot is always engaging, the conclusion is genius, the pacing is polished and the acting is top-notch with above all Dustin Hoffman being the standout here in a difficult role proving once again how he's a force to be reckoned with and one of the finest actors ever to grace the silver screen.
June 19, 2015
Tootsie transcends its gimmick and delivers on a lot of wry jokes.
½ June 9, 2015
Loved watching Tootsie and Dustin Hoffman is wonderful as Michael/Dorothy. Tootsie is an endearing and touching comedy drama that pokes fun of sexism and the world of acting with its tenderness. A genuinely charming film.
May 20, 2015
One of the iconic films or should I say roles for Dustin Hoffman, Tootsie is an interesting look at the gender politics as well as the arduous task of the audition process for an generic actor is a sea of thousands the lengths he would go to in order to stand out in a crowd and land the role to get some cash. Little does he know when he shows up in drag and sells Dorothy to the soaps and lands the role of a lifetime out of it and has to continue to sell his lies. There are some great laughs and solid acting, helped out by a great supporting cast including Teri Garr, Sydney Pollack and Geena Davis. Suffers slightly from being slightly dated in its perception of gender politics and being a common trope of putting a funny man in drag (Mrs Doudtfire hit some similar ideas) but otherwise good for what it is.
May 17, 2015
Dustin Hoffmann is hilarious as a down on his luck actor who decides to dress as a woman and get a part in a soap opera.
½ May 7, 2015
Made In A Time When Drag Was Funny & Comedy Gags Were Cheap. This One Doesn't Age Well At All.
March 16, 2015
Carried almost entirely by Dustin Hoffman's performance, Tootsie succeeds as a dramedy, romance, and commentary on modern-day gender relations.
½ February 23, 2015
Good movie...I thought it would suck at first but no, I was pleasantly surprised. Dustin Hoffman does a great job in this one. If it had been funnier, my rating would have been 8/10...but it's still a solid 7/10
February 6, 2015
It's the original Mrs. Doubtfire only with less schmaltz. Far and ahead one of the greatest comedies ever made. Topical, even today with an intelligent script, lots of laughs and a brilliant performance from Hoffman.
February 6, 2015
Directed by Sydney Pollack (The Electric Horseman (1979), Out of Africa (1985) and The Firm (1993)), and written by Larry Gelbart (The Wrong Box (1966) and Blame it on Rio (1984)) and Murray Schisgal (Luv (1967)), this is an original and very funny comedy-drama about the length's some people will go to in order to get employment. Some bits are dated, but it's central premise still stands strong. Respected actor Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman) is difficult to work with, and when his agent George Fields (Pollack) tells him no-one will employ him anymore, Michael gets desperate. He needs the money, and he wants to fund a play written by his roommate Jeff Slater (Bill Murray). So, he goes for an audition for daytime soap opera Southwest General in drag as "Dorothy Michaels", he wins the part. He has to keep the charade up, and his double life really tests his relationship with girlfriend Sandy Lester (Teri Garr), then as Dorothy, he becomes close with his co-star Julie Nichols (Jessica Lange), who takes a real shine to Dorothy. It was allegedly a nightmare to make, but a great little film came out of it, and cross-dressing films have come and gone since, but Hoffman is very convincing and he's got a great supporting cast playing second fiddle to him. It became the second highest grossing film of 1982 just behind E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
½ January 20, 2015
Hoffman doesn't only here put on womens clothes, but also a brillant performance filled with charm!
½ January 18, 2015
Surprisingly heartfelt as opposed to destructive in it's representations of women, Hoffman as well as the supporting cast deliver a thoughtful story which is funny but not in the sense of degrading anyone or gender in particular.
January 17, 2015
A funny look at gender roles.
January 13, 2015
Last Sunday doing zapping in the TV cable, I found Tootsie in TCM channel. After more than 20 years is still a fresh comedy, the dialogues and improvisations of Dorothy Michaels made me laugh yet.
January 13, 2015
Dustin Hoffman is Michael Dorsey, a versatile character actor whose at-work temper has led to a struggle in finding roles in New York City. His last chance of working in the city is in a hospital-set soap opera, but they're looking for someone a little more feminine. Thus, Dorothy Michaels is born. Did you like how I established the premise? Don't worry, the film doesn't establish it like that. If I hadn't known the film was, on general grounds, a drag comedy, I would've been shocked when Dustin Hoffman first appears as a surprisingly convincing woman. I never noticed how delicate his face is. I should refrain from comments like that, and it will be obvious later in the review. Not all of the jokes are, "Look at Dustin, trying to be a woman and failing." In fact, because Dustin's character (or an extension of himself, as he... er, Michael words it) is so versatile of an actor, there is no quirky transition to the little daily rituals of being a woman. The awkwardness cuts much deeper than that. Michael Dorsey grows insecure about how he, or Dorothy rather, looks, and, despite representing strong female empowerment in the soap more than anyone else in the cast, is not always ready to stand up for herself. Tootsie, among other things, studies how women want to be treated, in the setting of early-1980s New York. In one scene, fellow actress Julie (Jessica Lange) explains to Dorothy how she wants a man to walk up to her and invite her to bed, without any nonsense. Michael does just that to Julie, and then Julie splashes wine into his face. It's for comedic effect, but the scene hangs around long enough for me to wonder, "Why did she not like that?" Although the soap director (Dabney Coleman) and Julie's father (Charles Durning) feel that way, the film's atmosphere never implies that. Everything is put into perspective, and I really love that. It takes Dustin Hoffman in drag to send a good-vibe feminist message.

If that doesn't seem like your cup of tea, it doesn't need to be for you to enjoy the film. Tootsie centers around Dustin Hoffman, whose fiery energy enlivens every scene he is in. Sometimes, he is committed to being Dorothy, and other times, he is committed to being Michael. I recognize Dustin's suffering from too many commitments. By the end of the film, the line, "She misses you," in response to Julia saying, "I miss Dorothy," has deeper meaning, because Michael, the actor, is separating himself from Dorothy. Thus, Dustin is fully committed to being Michael, while retaining what he found as Dorothy. God, I am confused. I love Hoffman's acting, okay? Bill Murray, as Hoffman's roommate, deals the goods with his everlasting deadpan wit. So does George Gaynes, who basically plays himself as an old-time soap opera star and humiliates himself in wooing Dorothy until Bill Murray walks in on Gaynes and Dorothy. The ongoing relationship between Michael and Sandy (Teri Garr) is rich in humour and drama. Initially platonic, Michael acts sexually when Sandy caught him undressing himself. Unbeknownst to Sandy, he was undressing only to re-dress in one of her dresses. Nevertheless, the two have sex and then try to date throughout most of the movie. It doesn't work... to great comedic effect! It's all so lovely, and I barely addressed the romance between Hoffman and Lange. It is likely that you can guess why Dorothy would have trouble making a move on the heterosexual Julia. At one point, Dorothy tries to kiss Julia, and it's awkward between them. Grand reveal, Dorothy is a man! Julia doesn't like to be deceived by another guy. Okay, last scene. I quoted it earlier. The ending is a bit ambiguous, but literally, it ends with the two casually talking and walking together, arms on each other's backs. Given the strong feminist message the film had been trying to send for most of its length, I have trouble in believing that the ending was the two going into a relationship. It seemed more like a friendship. The interpretation may differ in another's eyes, but I say what I saw. And I love what I saw.