Torch Song Trilogy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Torch Song Trilogy Reviews

January 31, 2016
Although Harvey Fierstein gets on my nerves most of the time, and this movie took some getting used to.. Oddly enough, when Matthew Broderick showed up, I started liking it a lot more, and heck, I started liking Fierstein at the end. So putting in a cute guy resolves everything. Ha ha! Well, not really, but the movie sure wasn't clicking until he showed up!
hunterjt13
September 18, 2015
A New York drag queen's relationships are disrupted by prejudice, violence, and AIDS.
A tour de force performance from Harvey Fierstein propels this remarkably written and acted film. Fierstein's talents as an actor are only matched by his intelligent, insightful, and inspiring screenplay. The conflicts must have felt so fresh and timely in 1988, but it's a compliment to Fierstein's writing that they feel just as important now.
Anne Bancroft's performance as Fierstein's character's mother is also very strong. She's not a horrible mother, just a flawed, human, 1980s mother, and her final scene with Fierstein is an acting master class.
Overall, Fierstein is a great talent, and it's a shame there isn't more of him to see.
August 31, 2015
A drag queen must deal with his fiery mother, tragic relationships and his adopted son. It's got some nice acting and a well written script but I was not sure if the casting was correct. Fierstein has a crazily husky voice though.
½ April 15, 2015
Equal parts bittersweet,melodramatic and a touching love story.
May 28, 2014
The forgotten gay film taken from the groundbreaking play. Dumped into a handful of theaters and used as proof that gay films don't make money. Well worth seeking out.
March 28, 2014
wow this movie is amazing and heart wrenching . it really is quite overwhelming how life has changed for the better for us poofs.
½ March 14, 2014
Absolutely loved this movie. Fierstein's writing and performance in it were just brilliant! The movie is extremely funny but does deal with tragedy head-on.
November 2, 2013
definately fave gay movie its just fabu!
October 27, 2013
fabulous movie made me cry
September 14, 2013
What most gay cinema hopes to be.
½ February 6, 2013
Harvey Fierstein, Matthew Broderick and gays trying to make it work in 1970s and 1980s New York. What's not to love? (Aside from how bad they were treated....by virtually EVERYONE).
½ September 27, 2012
This is a must see for all the young gay kids out there. It was a ground breaking broadway play back in the day.
May 29, 2012
Fantastic movie. Touched me... And very very relatable characters to me.
May 24, 2012
A wonderful, casually paced film about the pursuit of love, happiness, and acceptance with the charming Harvey Firestein breaking the third dimension to bring his audience into his world. Fine support from Anne Bancroft, Brian Kerwin, Eddie Castrodad, and the very likeable Matthew Broderick keep this engaging production on track. Funny, touching, and very humane.
½ May 11, 2012
I always thought my life would be a torch song trilogy,.
March 14, 2012
A movie that needs to be watched I think!
July 22, 2011
Harvey Fierstien adapted his own award winning Broadway hit (itself already a collection of 3 shorter plays, hence the Trilogy in the title) into a film that is largely overlooked, and undeservedly so.

Starting off light-footed & gay (in all its meanings) Fierstien's distinctive voice, only paralleled by some of the cast-members of "the Nanny", had me laughing from the opening monologue & in stitches not much later. I literally had to rewind a few times because I missed parts through my howling. But in between the hilarity a serious note is never far away, and Fierstien is just as effective when it takes the upper hand.

The two love affairs that take up act 1 & 2 are convincing, without delving into every clichà (C) with the gusto of many of the early 'gay' films. Matthew Broderick - an actor who often walks only just on the right side of annoying & I know at least one friend who will think I'm being much too kind - plays a former hustler turned successful model (yes, Nils, I know dear, but let's just chalk it up to the Eighties ^^) & Fierstien's second lover and he does this with a sincere simplicity that grounds the unusual relationship. I'll just come right out and say it: I was actually moved by his performance, go ahead & shoot me!

Anne Bancroft definitely deserves a nod for her portrayal of a Jewish mama stereotype, who like all of the characters, reveals more depth than she would perhaps like to show. Maybe a great performance by Miss Bancroft is practically taken for granted, but her confrontation with her son in the third act is sublime even to her exalted standards.

By the end of this film I'd laughed, I'd oeeh'd, I'd aaaah'd & I'd made a few very real sad pouty faces. I found the ending, more hopeful than explicitly happy, eminently suited as a final note to the general tone of a film I'm glad to have seen almost accidentally.
June 24, 2011
Everyone deserves to be loved, right? Even if they're gay? Even from they're mother? This work examines just those questions, the humanity, say, beyond the stereotype and more, the humanity within the stereotype.
May 28, 2011
Another top movie of all time.