Total Recall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Total Recall Reviews

June 29, 2016
Was watching to see parts of the original but not close
June 29, 2016
Was pretty good,liked the original .
½ June 29, 2016
Not bad. Not great either. The original just had some much more flare to it.
June 29, 2016
the best remake i've seen so far
Thrill ride. Love it!
June 29, 2016
There will be the obvious comparisons to Arnie's classic, but I really enjoyed this version. I've never read the book, but as far as visual effects with action packed scenes go, I have no complaints. Will Ferrell was very convincing in his role. Well done!
½ June 29, 2016
Is he still in recall at the end or what?
½ June 29, 2016
Movie keeps failing to play. Fix it!
June 29, 2016
A great film. Excellent visuals and incredible fight sequences.
June 29, 2016
good take on the old version. clean action
superb but miss arnold
½ June 29, 2016
Very well done, good actors and great action sequences. Babe-O-luscious.
Much better than Arnie's version
June 29, 2016
not quite as good as the first film
½ June 29, 2016
will not play on my android device. very disappointed!!!!
June 29, 2016
Not what I expected, for a redo...it was fresh. but lacked laying down the ground work from the start, but I would see it again, Jessica is hot & There was plenty of action. I did like the futuristic cars!
June 29, 2016
Umm. Wow. Really disappointing. This would have been a good sci-fi movie if someone had actually cared to write a script or fact-check the science. On the other hand, it would have been a good action movie if they didn't try so hard to drive the senseless plot. Also, jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsale look too much alike to play different characters in the same movie. I don't know if that was intentional, but at times it was confusing. This film is visually excellent. It's a shame that such a terrible movie had such a big budget that people were actually fooled into believing it would be any good.

I'm being a bit unfair (but not very). This isn't the worst movie ever. It's far more watchable than Deep Impact, the science is much better than Looper, and the plot makes far more sense than Inception (don't even start. "Complicated" doesn't mean 'good." If you think it made sense, you weren't paying attention).

Colin Farrell was awful for the role. Not that he didn't do a good job, he was just the wrong man. Maybe someone like Ethan Hawke would have been better. You know: an actor with more than two facial expressions in his repertoire. I didn't buy Farrell and Hawke as brothers in Gattaca, and I certainly don't buy them as the same person in Total Recall.

And can we please stop with the unnecessarily-ambiguous denouement? It didn't work in Inception (we all know that wasn't reality. Stop pretending you can be subtle, Chris), it was sillydicks in Batman (actually showing the title character in the last scene pretty much precludes the possibility of him being dead), and in Total Recall it was not only out of place, but was also insistent upon itself to the point that I actually vomited.

So... Yeah. Total Recall, not great. Although I do love that Sony is making enormous-budget B-movies. It's nice to see big film supporting the little guy to help him get some mainstream exposure. Wish I hadn't blown my Best Buy gift card on it, but I'm going to hang on to it. As bad as it is, it's still entertaining.

As far as the Unrated "Director's Cut" with an "alternate ending," I have no idea what they're talking about. I watched both versions, and didn't notice anything different.

TL;DR
Total Recall is either a good action movie that lets the nonsense plot get too much in the way of the action, or a good sci-fi concept trying too hard to be an action movie. It tries too hard to do both things well, and winds up not doing either of them very well at all. Colin Farrell sucks ass as usual, but in a way that makes you think he's doing well.
June 29, 2016
Enjoyed it more than the original.
June 29, 2016
Rare occasion when the remake is better than the original.
June 29, 2016
A different storyline to the original film but full of great action with an absorbing storyline.