Quando Alice Ruppe lo Specchio (Touch of Death) (When Alice Broke the Mirror) Reviews

• Jun 21, 2020

Quite honestly, this was my least favourite Lucio Fulci's films so far. The idea is initially good and the plot promises a lot: a refined canibalistic murderer with a gambling addiction who talks with himself through pre-recordings and who is unable to identify himself in the news as the author of the killings. Henceforward Lucio repeats the same formula, unable to offer any kind of plot twist or innovation to grab the spectator's attention; its seems that he was just trying to fill in space to keep the movie going. When he finally needs to end the movie, he invokes a »Deus ex machina« in the form of a wealthy lonely woman who dials his number by mistake, likes his voice, invites him over, they talk about marriage and finances (in their first encounter, within hours of speaking for the first time) and finally shoots him when he is about to kill her. He ends up dying talking to his shadow. In my view, the film is simply a collection of clichés, filled with gore scenes in order to try to compose a giallo movie. It failed spectacularly and is light years away from Lucio's previous works such as "Don't torture a duckling", "The Beyond", "Zombie 2", "City of the Living Dead", "The house by the cemetery", "Aenigma" and others. It's unworthy of Lucio Fulci and if you want to know about the author, I'd advise you to see his other previous films.

• Jan 18, 2018

its a nasty little film, its not that great. at least it was better than sodomas ghost

• Mar 10, 2016

'Touch of Death' is a nasty little slice of gruesome goodness that packs plenty of ghoulish humor and bloody mayhem. It's one of Lucio Fulci's best, in my humble opinion, because of its purely, and often comically, savage nature.

• Jan 07, 2013

Fulci Makes A Splatter-Comedy--Lifestyles Of The Rich And Disfigured!!

Fulci Makes A Splatter-Comedy--Lifestyles Of The Rich And Disfigured!!

• Sep 11, 2011

An interesting serial killer movie that despite some over-the-top and unbelievable gore, has a pretty decent story. Very character based, as we see the main character battling with his own conscience, and eventually losing. The problem I had with it, is that it couldn't stay focused. The story went from crazy serial killer, to almost slapstick comedy and back again. And the transition just didn't work.

• Jul 15, 2011

Some of the greatest horror movies of the 1970s and 1980s came out of Italy and many from Lucio Fulci himself. Unfortunately, Italian horror took a nosedive at the end of the 80s and has yet to really recover. Lucio Fulci is not exempt from this. Touch of Death for example, could have been really good. It has all the makings of a great sick black gory comedy, but the overdubbing, the stilted dialogue and terrible script ends up ruining it. It's too bad.

• Sep 10, 2010

You'd think it would be pretty hard to definitively pick out the most bizarre movie in Italian horror maestro Lucio Fulci's filmography, but I'd say one of his lesser known efforts, "Touch of Death", would definitely be the hands-down winner; there's no way I could legitimately consider this a good movie, but it does have a lot of unique entertainment value. The paper-thin plot involves a serial killer who murders rich women in gruesome ways and the narrative basically follows a "rinse, cycle, repeat" formula until it's been padded out to 80 minutes. That's about all there is to the movie, but it does have an awful lot of gore and gruesome violence, which is mostly fake and unconvincing, but undeniably hilarious. The movie also works fairly well when it's functioning as a black comedy, with one standout sequence involving the protagonist trying to keep one of his victims propped up in the passenger's seat while being pulled over by a cop for a speeding. While "Touch of Death" is a colossal mess, it does deliver a lot of things you've never seen before and is worth a look for fans of Fulci and gory Italian horror.

• Sep 01, 2010

This is a good movie.... well not good as in "well made" or anything, but more..... entertaining. However, it is also one of the ugliest films I have ever seen. Between the main actor, the women he kills... so much ugliness my brain cant handle it.... but i enjoyed it....Its Fulci for God's sake

• Mar 03, 2010

What the hell? Serial killer cannibal gambler is undone by his own shadow? Stupid. Starts out with a super gory premise that quickly becomes a double cross mystery? I guess. Halsey is pretty creepy though and his disgust is pretty over the top. The cadaver humor falls flat though. Probably undone by the whole cannibal/pig farm beginning, that seems like it belongs in another movie to the second half. Weird. But then it is Fulci, so I guess that explains it.

• Nov 09, 2009

Fulci made this for TV which is hard to believe because the death scenes are so graphic. In fact the camera often lingers on the gore while slowly zooming in just to prove that there's gore on the screen right in front of you in case you forgot what you were looking at 5 seconds ago. But it's truly a mixed bag because strewn about here and there are bits of comedy, both intentional and unintentional. It's like the three stooges meet's Lustig's 'Maniac' on the set of Henry: Portrait of a serial killer. Throw in also that the story just ends up not making any sense