Tough Guys Don't Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tough Guys Don't Dance Reviews

½ May 31, 2016
This was not intended to be a comedy, watch it, while letting that sink in.
½ September 13, 2014
It's a miracle, a holy fuck-fest of immaculate conception.
August 19, 2014
What happened? His book was so good!
½ March 22, 2014
oh man oh God oh man oh God oh man!
January 22, 2014
Some films can only hope to achieve this level of unintentional hilarity. Is it bad? Of course it is . It's also compelling in it's folly . It's the film The Room wanted to be, but this film had something it didn't . This was made with all the right intentions, which makes it all the funnier .
January 3, 2013
This movie should not have happened.
December 29, 2012
Absolutely terrible, and really awesome.
April 5, 2012
oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man
December 22, 2011
This is definitely one of the worst Hollywood movies of the late 80s. There are some really inexcusable things (the most glaring is the discrepancy in sound from one scene to the next) and some things that I'd like to excuse, given Mailer's authorliness, but just cannot because it is just so bad. Oh man, Oh god, is it bad. If it's a comedy it's not funny. If it's a mystery it isn't handled remotely close to well. I keep thinking it's a parody, but I can't tell because Mailer couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag.
July 23, 2011
oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man
June 20, 2011
This movie is just the best thing I've seen in the last 10 years... It wasn't a success in 1987 but OH MAN OH GOD watch this and note all the dialogue!!! It's just so.... PECULIAR...!!
½ December 31, 2010
Really crazy movie! Love it.
December 3, 2010
Having been utterly gripped by the novel, line by line, scene by scene, I've watched the DVD of the film twice in succession in one evening, liking it better the second time at every point. If I weren't too tired, I'd watch it a third time. I grew up in Provincetown, I knew Norman personally (though briefly), and this film has a reality beyond the conventions of "good" and "bad".
½ August 15, 2010
A must for bad movie fans. Idiotic scripting and bad acting abound in this pretentious and dull thriller turned unitentional five star comedy. The whole thing moves at just over a snails pace taking place over two lengthy conversations in flashback form. This is thankfully saved thanks to some really terrible acting, bad fake accents and a number of bizzare and ill advised story turns that bring about unintended laughter.
February 19, 2010
sure this is funny with absurdly shocking dialogue and events, but thats all about it, the story is not interesting
November 6, 2009
Oh man, oh god, oh man, oh god, oh man, oh god, oh man, oh god.

with your pet, cupom.
February 20, 2009
Wings Hauser is God. The acting in this movie is hilarious. I mean the story is so crazy and so is everything else. It makes no sense and I do not think it is meant to. Just watch it you will never forget it which might be a bad thing.
January 14, 2009
It's basically a terrible movie, but hillarious. Contrary to Ryan O'Neals opinion, I loved the letter reading scene:

"O God! O man! O God! O Man! O God O Man! O God O Man!
½ January 3, 2009
Ryan O'Neal can't catch a break. This practically defies description, but after nearly two hours of intensely overwritten murder mystery nonsense, I was kind of shocked that the film's ending still managed to shock me. Some truly astounding bad acting on display here. I need to start watching a different caliber of movie, because I'm running out of synonyms for absurd.