Touki Bouki (Journey of the Hyena) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Touki Bouki (Journey of the Hyena) Reviews

May 15, 2008
when I grow up, I am making films for his memory... having met him, I am certain of my story...
May 4, 2008
Interesting, but a little too interesting for me.
May 3, 2008
Pretty great, actually. I'm not sure I'd have liked it as much without the discussion afterward, but its greatness is sinking in.
April 12, 2008
Great film, what the New Wave would have been if anybody but Varda (and occassionally Godard) had anything to say. Much better and intense than most films you will find.
½ March 16, 2008
only 4% of users want to see a quinessential and important film about the effects of african colonialism? well, people like transformers too but hey, they are morons. ANYWAY, i was suprised at the relative fast pace of the film and though the ending is a bit confusing, it does make a strong pro-africa statement. a good primer for those who are interested in the riverwood movement.
½ February 14, 2008
Un film africain que personne ne verra. C'est dommage. C'est du Godard a Dakar.
½ February 7, 2008
This 1973 film from Senegal is a tribute to the anit-colonialism and the strive for independence in Africa. An interesting and worthwhile watch.
November 14, 2007
This film is great, a must see for all low budget filmmakers and all African film makers.
October 27, 2007
The opening scene of this film is a must-see to all meat-eaters! ;-)
October 14, 2007
a challenging, but rewarding african film. mabety touches on a lot of things i think about when contemplating american society, and clearly he feels the same about the bourgieouse and our races fundamental needs to strike a dicshord with the harmony of our home planet.
October 10, 2007
I think it is difficult for many to see this film and not make a great deal of comparisons to other films with big budgets etc...Plus there are so many allegories to African rituals and life that if you are not clued in on these details, one might not get the underlying themes that run through this film... I love this movie because I really herald it as one of the most interesting and unusual films produced by an African fillmmaker...
½ August 15, 2007
All directors copy styles as they learn their craft. Here, Mambety mimics the style of French new wave auteur, Jean-Luc Godard. It's a decent enough film. Nothing groundbreaking or terribly exciting but interesting even if only because it's a Senagalese film from the 70's
June 19, 2007
this is one of the greatest pictures of all time
½ June 1, 2007
A load of steaming crap! Mambety was heralded for making a fantastic film, but to be perfectly honest he merely copied French and Italian styles and I was forced to sit through this nonsense!