All the Mornings of the World (Tous Les Matins du Monde) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All the Mornings of the World (Tous Les Matins du Monde) Reviews

½ January 12, 2010
Superb music, superbly played, and a very good film to go with it. Why on Earth hasn't it been released on DVD?

OK, it has now... and about time.
November 6, 2009
Un beau film (que je découvre) sur l'exigence, l'intransigeance artistique. Avec un Jean-Pierre Marielle au sommet de sa forme. A voir.
½ August 20, 2009
I saw this ages ago and remembered liking it. I had clearly forgotten just how bleak this film is. But I still love the music
August 11, 2009
(Bien sur, ce film ne date pas de 1972)
Un chef d'oeuvre, ni plus ni moins, sur la creation. Jean-Pierre Marielle est extremement talentueux et nous offre un jeu de haute voltige.
July 30, 2009
This film is about music, the musician and his own relationship --through his instrument-- with the music. Taking place on Baroque period (and on its way of thinking and perceiving the music), photography, script, music, art design go on the same way and are orchestrated in a extraordinary good work by director Corneau. The amazing selection of music is done by Jordi Savall and the beautiful performances by Depardieu and Marielle complement this biographical film about composer Marin Marais life and his teacher Sainte-Colmbus. The power of music brings the dead back to life again.
½ July 30, 2009
A 1991 (not 1972) production. Totally unapproachable, quite disappointing.
½ July 15, 2009
An extraordinary, compelling film that deserves to be seen over and over again. Jean-Pierre Marielle is outstanding as the 17th Century composer Sainte Colombe. An immense soundtrack too.
June 28, 2009
Watched it just because of the song the I recently fell in love with - La Folia d'Espagne by Marin Marais. This was a film about the story of Marais and Sainte Colombe, his teacher in viol. It talked about what music is - which is worth thinking.
June 13, 2009
Love it. A favorite of all time, saw it alone in an art theatre in Dublin in '92 and cried and thought about it for days after. Sometimes the memory still haunts me. Deeply touching.
June 13, 2009
May 24, 2009
this is one of my all time Favorites. Its is a must own and watch over and over again. It is fillied with passin & pain. The music is so wonderful it fills my heart and soul.

Please watch it ..and listen ...so beautiful....so much heartache.

I love this movie. I cannot explain how much so..you just have to watch and feel it..Amazing work.
May 21, 2009
Subtle. Not too many words, but beautiful pictures, beautiful music and great feelings/emotions.
May 1, 2009
Definitely one of the best europian films ever!
March 28, 2009
Pour l'interpretation.
March 1, 2009
The plot synopsis above is incorrect. The story is based around the relationship of two viol da gamba players. The master, Monsieur de Sainte Colombe, and his pupil, Marin Marais. The music is unbelievably exquisite..
February 27, 2009
Sensual and atmospheric period piece. Hauntingly beautiful Cello music. Gerard's son is spot on as the young Gerard.
February 18, 2009
Super sad but a super good movie too.
½ January 6, 2009
brilliant!excellent music and great acting.
January 5, 2009
This movie came out in 1991, not 1972...
December 28, 2008
The 17th Century's not my favourite but it wasn't bad :-)