Tower of Evil (Beyond the Fog) (Horror on Snape Island ) Reviews

• Aug 06, 2019

I'm writing this review a couple weeks after having watched the film and I can barely remember it. However, IMDB refreshed my memory and it was about a group of archeologists uncovering an ancient and cursed treasure underneath the titular tower. The film was more gruesome than I was expecting and had a decent amount of atmosphere given it's meager budget, but the story and characters were all pretty dull which really drug the film down. Okay viewing for people wanting something along the lines of a lesser Hammer Horror film.

• Aug 20, 2016

I loved it for what it was. The oufits, hairdoos, and boobs were enough for me.

I loved it for what it was. The oufits, hairdoos, and boobs were enough for me.

• Mar 11, 2014

What could be scarier than a deformed, crazy killer lurking in the underground caves of a foggy deserted isle, picking off a group of people (who went there to search for some old treasure) one by one? Theoretically, this sounds like a great recipe for horror. And yet, despite the fact that this film is VERY explicit in terms of gore and nudity (male and female) for an early-70's release, it is visually sub-par, and because it doesn't have a single even remotely interesting character (the women are portrayed as promiscuous sluts), the viewer has nothing to do but sit there and wait for most of the cast members to get chopped up. In a word, boring.

• Jul 08, 2011

This film starts out nicely with a mad woman trying to remember what happened to her friends on Snape Island. One friend was found impaled with a pure gold Phoenician spear which leads a group of archeologists to the island. While the special effects are laughable, the atmosphere and camera work are a notch above standard B-movie fare. Unfortunately, the film breaks down in the third act with an ending everyone saw coming and some ridiculous "monsters." Spend your time on something better.

• Dec 19, 2010

It's a pretty good grindhouse film with lots of blood and gratuitous nudity. And outside of that it even starts off pretty good with a discovery of a bunch of dead bodies and what happened. However, it quickly jettisons the more interesting plotline for the real plot! A bunch of museum people think that's there's lot of treasure on the evil island with the evil tower and the filler plot is barely mentioned again. But it will scratch any Grindhouse itch you might have.

• May 27, 2010

It had some moments, but the majority was boring and lame. I have heard that this movie is known for creating a bridge between the classic gothic horror movie and the slasher film, but I've seen it done better from the same period. Pretty unmemorable really.

• Jul 16, 2009

A bad movie, yet the pacing made it almost watchable. All the parts were bad but maybe the idiotic violence helped it a little in the end.

• Jul 16, 2009

• Jul 14, 2009

AKA Beyond The Fog Hilariously incompetent and set-bound British slasher made at Shepperton. Features fashion victims getting theirs in various and sundry ways in, around and below what turns out to be an improbably combustible lighthouse.

• Jul 13, 2009

Scary and atmospheric, with a keen eye for detail that you rarely ever get in movies of this genre. It's a shame that the main villain doesn't look that terrifying, but there's enough here to recommend that it hardly matters.