Track of the Moon Beast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Track of the Moon Beast Reviews

April 11, 2014
Cheap, poor, and bad. The monster is goofy and rarely on screen, the characters are generic or flat, and the acting is worse. Slow plot, confusing explanations, and an overall dumb end.
½ December 19, 2013
I'll be honest here. This movie is a complete blur to me. I remember a few things, but not enough to put together a storyline in my head that makes me understand it. What's sad about Track of the Moon Beast is that I watched it just recently, and I was quite awake when I watched it. The fact that I can't remember anything about it speaks volumes about its content. It's mainly just a blur of images and some semblance of a story, but none of it is memorable enough and nothing stood out to me. One can only hope that the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew really stuck it to it, since it was featured on an episode of the show. They can be very good at that when given the right material, and this is right up their alley.
½ October 27, 2012
Moon particles transform a man periodically into a reptillian moon beast, proving a local Indian legend. Highlights here are the NASA officials confirming this could happen and the moon beast attacking a tent and ripping the arm off a camper.
August 24, 2012
Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews
TRACK OF THE MOONBEAST [1972/1976]: there are so many movies that are often cited as the worst movie ever made, there just so many to name. One such film which is currently charting at Number 35 on IMBD's Bottom 100 films list & consider to be one of the worst films featured on the cult TV show MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 is the 1972 made; 1976 released film TRACK OF THE MOONBEAST . This film is so bad that it took four years to secure a release and is one proud member of "the worst film of all time" group, its inept filmmaking at it all time worst. So what do I think of this beast? Do I hold it in such a low regard? Well guess what it's defiantly one of the worst films I have seen in a while. However I do not view at as the single worst film ever made. It is by far one of the dullest although.

PLOT: After a meteor shower in the deserts of New Mexico an archaeologist called Paul is struck by a piece of a meteorite. On the night of the full moon Paul starts to turn into a hideous Atomic Lizard and attacks anyone in sight. His only help are his university friends including Professor Johnny Long-Bow that can save him.

THOUGHTS: To start with this film borrows SO MUCH from Werewolf movie mythology that it should be called TRACK OF THE WEREWOLF. For example the "Moon-Beast" only turns into a monster when the moon is full (Werewolf movie mythology). There is a transformation sequence (Werewolf movie mythology again).The "Moon-Beast" then attacks & kills people (Werewolf movie mythology yet again). The 'protagonist' and the people that care about him are deeply affected by the tragedy (Werewolf movie mythology.........yet.............again) & the only way to stop him is by shooting him with a meteor -rock tipped arrow (ah wait a minute that has nothing to do with Werewolf movie mythology).

Despite the look of the monster that only has at the most less than 7 minutes of onscreen appearance; TRACK OF THE MOONBEAST sees shots of people reciting bland & lacklustre dialogue, more reciting of bland dialogue and guess what More F$#Kin bland dialogue been recited. To be fair any film that has a dialogue driven story, the dialogue must be interesting and engaging to the audience. If the dialogue is dull said audience would lose any interest with the narrative. This film falls into the last category for this very reason. The only two saving graces of this film are the monster (or how little you see of it) & Gregorio Sala as Johnny Longbow who despite the sterile lines delivers this films only engaging performance. My rating for this "movie" is a much deserved 20% , a rating worthy for this monster.
½ February 27, 2012
This is beyond terrible. Don't waste your time on this, it's just a guy in a costume that is supposed to resemble a giant lizard but it's just a dude in pajamas? Can't tell because the transfer (or the director was just incompetent) is none too bright or clear. Does it matter? No. I fell asleep halfway through due to boredom and upon awakening I realized I did not miss anything. I'd rather watch paint dry. For real. It only gets a half star (instead of zero) because the overall concept was actually good and there are maybe one or two moments of so bad it's good. Completely tedious otherwise. Please take my advice and stay away.
½ September 14, 2011
Pretty similar to how ridiculous "Puma Man" was, but on the villain side rather than the hero side. Paul becomes a were-lizard and it doesn't turn out well for him. Bad movie, good MST3K.
½ February 23, 2011
Man turns into prehistoric lizard by moonlight after being hit in the head by a meteorite. You got away with a lot in the 70s, didn't you? Poorly produced low budget werewolf film with uninspired actors and a droning pace. Not the worst, but pretty damn bad.
October 9, 2010
soo bad its pretty damn good
June 29, 2010
The acting is so bad, it is hard to get past that. When I did, I realized the score was just as bad. The story is preposterous, and the special effects are just dreadful. I realize that the budget must have been extremely low, but that doesn?t mean that everything has to be poorly done. It?s very unprofessional. It is bad enough at times to be entertaining, but for all the wrong reasons.
December 13, 2009
A nice Movie I was glad there was no werewolf.
½ September 23, 2009
A man supposedly turns into a were dinosaur because of a meteor thing...unfortunately, nothing happens once he turns into the moon beast.
September 22, 2009
Your basic werewolf movie except really bad. Also instead of turning into a wolf the hero turns into a lizzardman when he is hit by a meteor. This schlocky movie is complete with bad transformations, fake Native American lore and a folk band that plays almost an entire song and still serves no purpose.
½ September 9, 2009
August 24, 2009
Fragment of meteorite gets lodged in young man's head, causing him to turn into a monstrous lizard-man when the moon rises.

Track of the Moon Beast is a fine example of drive-in B movie schlock! The movie consists of a thin story line, hokey dialog, less than impressive cast, and an all around look of 'we filmed this scene in my back yard'. It's a wonder the movie managed to hide from the people at Mystery Science Theater 3000 until near the end of its 11 year run.

Yet despite all its campy trappings, I can't really say that I dislike this movie! Being a lover of B cinema it's kinda fun in a non-serious kind of way. I do give the film kudos for its surprisingly decent horror makeup, it's not surprising that this was early work from Rick Baker. The moon beast should have gotten more screen time though. Star Chase Cordell makes for an ok hero/victim and Gregorio Sala is memorable as a long-winded and hilariously pompous native American expert named Johnny Longbow ( yes you read that right). Alas the rest of the cast is pretty weak, especially the wooden Donna Leigh Drake who doesn't have a believable line in the whole film! Still the tongue-in-cheek qualities keep it entertaining.

So, for those who enjoy their horror on the very cheesy B movie side, you just might like this amusing monster flick.
½ August 15, 2009
funny at times but still horrible.
½ August 13, 2009
I leaned on giving this one star due to the fact that it was so bad that I laughed a few times, something other bad movies have failed to make me do, but after thinking it over will stick with 1/2 star. The acting sucks, the effects are horrible, and the makeup and costumes were laughable. It was cheesy and yes at times hilarious (the audio effects are great hahah). Really a horrible movie but one that might please fans of so bad it's funny (I refuse to say that it is good, so we will stick with funny.)
½ July 16, 2009
Meteor particle becomes lodged in a man's brain, mutating him into a giant lizard when the moon rises. A situation that one NASA official admits was a worry "since the Apollo program". This ranks #16 on IMDB's bottom 100 list, but is not nearly that bad.
½ April 16, 2009
If you want to know how bad American cinema can be, you need look no further than the epic Track of the Moon Beast.

The feeling one gets watching this appalling bad film is much like that of a hamster trapped in a cage with four very hungry cats and a monkey. You can see the end coming, and wish for it to happen, however painful it may be. And the monkey provides that random insanity, which is best indicated by the fact that this film was made.

I believe that Mystery Science Theatre got a hold of this. Unless you have a really, really witty group of friends and/ or some way of altering your mind, then there is no reason to subject yourself to this monstrosity.
½ July 27, 2008
Terrible special effects and even worse acting! It is so awful that is comes almost close to being watchable.
July 12, 2008
it's a poorly-made and acted werewolf movie...except the werewolf costumes must've been too expensive since this 'monster' that appears during the moon-lit hours is a least it's supposed to be. instead it looks like some guy covered in green seran wrap. the acting is awful...the monster is cheesy...if you enjoy bad movies, you'll be in heaven here. i was.