Ying hung ho hon (Tragic Hero) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ying hung ho hon (Tragic Hero) Reviews

½ May 9, 2016
Review:
The first thing that I noticed with this movie, is how dated it looked, and the soundtrack was pretty awful. I also didn't like the narrating right at the beginning of the film because I found it a cheap way to get the movie going. Apart from that, I enjoyed the whole gangster element of the film and the brutal baddie Yung (Alex Man), who basically went on a killing spree to get to the top, was great. Chow Yun-Fat's character, Lee Ah-chai, was always great and when he teamed up with Kwok (Andy Lau), near the end, they really worked well together. I must admit, the action scenes were way over the top and the amount of times that people were getting shot, before they died, was ridiculous but it's still a watchable, old school gangster movie which does have its good points. I just wished that I saw the first movie, Richard & Famous, before I watched this one! Watchable!

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Taylor Wong, who has made 22 movies for the Oriental market but his Rich and Famous franchise has to be his best movies to date. He definitely got the most out of the actors/actresses but the whole dated look of the movie, let it down for audiences who watch it today.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: HK $19million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/crime/dramas starring Chow Yun-Fat, Andy Lau, Carina Lau, Danny Lee, Alex Man and Siu-Fung Wong. 5/10
May 3, 2015
I watched this movie in the theater's projection room.
½ November 9, 2012
I'm surprised by how poor the video and audio quality were. The music is ridiculous and it's 10-15 minutes too long but the explosions, fires and guns are fun. It's more of a comedy than it was probably meant to be. Rich and Famous is much better. Rent it if you are a fan of Chow.
November 19, 2010
Excellent HK Ganster Movie Chow-Yun Fat is one of the most impressive and most tragic Anti-Hero's and Andy Lau is one of the meanest Villains in Film History
October 23, 2009
Not much to say... It's like a new Hong Kong cinema in terms of style, but it gets you bored and even sick to see so many people just getting injured and dying and brothers or father and son killing each other...
½ July 10, 2009
some of the deaths in this film are memorable
May 23, 2009
For those of you who, upon turning off 1986's HK triad saga 'Rich and Famous', wondered, "wouldn't it kick ass if there was a sequel to this?" you're in luck. Chow Yun Fat, Andy Lau, Alex Man, Carina Lau, and even Danny Lee (in what is more or less a small 30 second blip on the screen) all return to give us the final chapter in the exploits of Triad boss Le Ah Chai. For those of you who thought 'Rich and Famous' took a bit too long to get to the action and gangster gun play, you're in luck too. 'Tragic Hero' goes for broke in , frankly ridiculous, over-the-top shoot outs, and boasts one of the highest bodycounts in recent cinematic history. Where 'Rich and Famous' focused on issues of brotherhood and loyalty between the characters of Alex Man and Andy Lau, this one is a more straightforward mix of the Godfather and a typical Bronson revenge flick centering on the ever-slick and amazing Chow Yun Fat (the Killer, Tiger on the Beat, Bulletproof Monk).

So, I kinda dug this, but kinda didn't. I think I'd have to say 'Rich and Famous' is a little better, because it was more subtle, whereas this one just goes 'Commando' on our asses 20 minutes in and doesn't let up. Taylor Wong did a good job with the predecessor of balancing the action with a storyline that intrigued, yet couldn't fully develop in the hour and forty minutes alloted. Here, he seems content to say "fuck all," blow shiznit up, kill off pretty much all the main characters, and provide a visual feast of violence, vengeance. and blood on screen.

Chow Yun Fat does pretty well as Le Ah Chai, the HK godfather, but the rest of the cast seems distracted or rushed by the dizzying subplots and confusing tone. Alex Man is deliciously evil as Yung, who has been unusually quiet since getting out of prison. Yung's silence is soon punctured, and he gets his revenge on Chow's character until Chow literally has lost everything- friends, family, empire. This, understandably, makes Chow pissed, and he enlists the aid of Andy Lau (God of Gamblers, Running on Karma, Fulltime Killer), who has been living as a teacher on some island paradise, but still remembers how to fire semi-automatic weapons and grenade launchers in Rambo proportions in the finale. Together, they will not rest until many buildings are sprayed with bullets, small towns set on fire, and someone gets blown to bits with a rocket launcher in Death Wish IV fashion.

Speaking of the finale, many have deservedly compared its cartoonish violence to rival that of 'A Better Tomorrow II' or 'Death Wish III,' and I can't argue with that.

This one was in and out of the system pretty fast: pretty tasty when watching, but forgettable afterwards. There are definitely worse Hong Kong triad/heroic bloodshed movies out there, and you may find yourself enjoying the further exploits of HK godfather Lee Ah Chai. Otherwise, rent something more palatable like Johnny To's 'Election or tried and true stuff like Woo's 'A Better Tomorrow.'
May 23, 2009

October 20, 2008
Fares slightly better than it's prequel due to more focused directing, but all in all a bland mix of ultraviolence and sentimentality.
July 22, 2008
Oh Yeah it doesn't get any better than this
January 17, 2008
Ridiculously over-the-top HK action film made around the same time that Better Tomorrow and The Killer came out. Danny Lee cameo is priceless.
December 27, 2007
Good! Worth to watch it. One of the classic action movies from Chow Yun Fat.
½ November 20, 2007
"Tragic Hero" is a film that is most definitely trying to emulate the classic Godfather films, focusing on family, crime, loyalty, and revenge. Also, this is part of a two part series as The Godfather also was (at the time). However, this film comes nowhere near the level of those classic films and actually fairs worse than other Triad thrillers being released in Hong Kong at the time.

One reason is the acting. With the exception of Chow Yun Fat, the acting is generally over the top and unbelievable. The audience tends to find the proceedings humorous simply because the actors' inability to maintain any degree of seriousness. As a result, we find the film not truly emotionally involving or intense since we don't particularly care what occurs with these characters.

Another reason is its lack of focus. The narrative tries to incorporate many different story elements into the film, but this results in portions of the movie becoming underdeveloped as well as lacking any real sense of coherency. The audience sometimes becomes lost at the proceedings we are viewing, not knowing what the character's motivations are.

The film's climax does contain a decent gun fight, but again since we don't care about the characters, we don't care who lives or who dies; The scene loses it's intensity and suspense because of this. The other action set pieces are rather mundane in nature, with a feeling of it being too controlled rather than free flowing.

In general, this is a strictly average film and isn't recommended to the general film viewer... Only hard core genre enthusiasts and fans of Chow Yun Fat should consider this film for viewing.
½ November 7, 2007
Definitely my genre. I like the roughness and of course Chow Yun Fat.
June 21, 2007
Hmm... kinda a stange movie. Sure, its a ganster flick with death and really really apparent fake blood, Tragic Hero can only be saved by the coolest part in the entire movie... Chow escapes on and in a hippy bus. Totally awesome get-a-way sequence!
June 13, 2007
chow yun fat blasting away at everybody.... yeah! should be good!
Chow Yun Fat is awesome.
June 13, 2007
By far, one of Chow Yun Fat weakest films. The problem is, we just don't care, and the movie runs like a daytime soap opera.

The movie ends with an action sequence that somewhat defies logic--I could've sworn that the good guys got shot more than 5 times. It attempts to be a Hong Kong "Godfather" flick, just like the first film, Rich and Famous, but once again the target proves elusive.
½ May 15, 2007
make sure to see the prequel, Rich and Famous.