Trance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trance Reviews

½ June 12, 2015
tut tut tut Vincent Cassel, I'd have expected better of you than to get involved with a British gangster movie. This film is very messy, your frustration at not getting what is going on is relieved eventually but it's hardly worth the wait. James McAvoy is as cringeworthy as ever. Danny Boyle needs to step out of the 90's I reckon.
½ May 30, 2015
Pretty fun thriller about hypnotism. Has some twists.
½ May 26, 2015
Te da curiosidad de ver como acaba todo, pero.... que mala pelicula, jajaja
½ May 26, 2015
Even tho I had no idea what was going on for most of the movie I enjoyed it until about the last 20 minutes. James McAvoy was as great and likeable as usual and the concept could have been really interesting, however the ending was so over-complicated and over-blown it totally spoiled what could have been a great film!
½ May 25, 2015
Love the twists in this film
May 24, 2015
Whoever did the sound mix on this film wants shooting.
½ May 22, 2015
This movie is far too silly and familiar for a filmmaker of Danny Boyle's stature. The actors are wasted.
May 18, 2015
I have no idea what Danny Boyle was thinking when he made this film. I'm all for pushing the boundaries, but the output still needs to be of quality. I had my doubts from the offset, as I have personally studied and been certified in hypnotherapy. I knew that any thriller using hypnosis as a plot-twist would most likely warp its truths and methods. What I didn't expect, however, was a story as thin as gossamer threads that bordered on the highly ridiculous.

I was fully invested during the film's first half. Despite a few grumbles at the screen, I was mildly intrigued and the acting was never diabolical by any means. By the film's end, however, I just shook my head in disbelief. There was definitely shock value. No I did not see that coming; but only because it should never have been humored as a possibility to begin with! Boyle has guts, that's for sure, because this film would have been better played out as a fantasy in which sorcery, not hypnosis, was used as the prime tool of deceitfulness. If I had possession of a magic wand, I would erase the time I invested on this farcical affair and sit through another movie altogether.
May 13, 2015
Hmmmmm, strange ride, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, typical Danny Boyle though, music is quite good.
½ May 4, 2015
Another film where reality and dream/hypnosis mingle together. Hypnosis is certainly powerful. It can make us follow a film in trance-like states that suspends disbelief. The film let us into the dream states and wakes us up a couple of times at least. In the end, we are very aware that the film makers are playing with us and it get impossible to deduce who and where we are for a time. Then, we are re-embarked in the roller-coaster mid-ride. kudos to Rosario for going nude so nonchalently, although there could be body double. This is not an americanos film. I liked the film craziness and we were left inside the maze wondering when we entered the dream. We tend to see the girl as the good person. I know for facts that it a regular delusion, a deeply ingrained prejudice. The truth is, the main difference between sexes is that it is more obvious amongst males but may very well be more common amongst females. It is the case in this film.
½ May 4, 2015
½ April 22, 2015
One of these films where after 3/4 or 2/3 you spend all the time figuring out where the twist is. Who is messing with who, why and at what point has this whole Fight Club situation started. Some unexpected (even for me) violence and nudity.
½ April 14, 2015
wow... so incredibly confusing but still at least 2.5 stars
April 10, 2015
iee... si... pero no, no.
April 2, 2015
It's fine. But I am very disappointed of Danny Boyle, who should of avoided this. But I guess directors can make mistakes. This one just annoyed me. It's kind of like a pimple.
March 31, 2015
Great performances paired with a very twisty, "Inception" like story revolving around a heist that only gets better as the film goes on. Midway through you begin to doubt what is real and what isn't, and by the end you don't know what to think. Highly recommended to those who like a good movie that screws with your mind. A-
March 29, 2015
Not one of Boyle's better showings. I felt Rosario Dawson was poorly cast; her character's chemistry with McAvoy and Cassel was disingenuous, forced. Perhaps she was the only lead available for full-frontal?
March 19, 2015
a safe work from boyle, but fun to watch on many levels.
March 9, 2015
People get mad at Nolan's dialogue in Inception for being too expositiony, but Trance just has no subtlety at all.

Its like someone watched Inception, decided it was too polished, structured, and enjoyable, and decided to write this mess. How is he a hero if the painting was never found? Why have group hypnotism at all if only a few of the participants are effected?

Style over substance, and not in a good way. First 20 minutes are enjoyable, and then the film collapses on itself. Apparently twist ending = deep.