Trance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trance Reviews

½ May 4, 2015
Another film where reality and dream/hypnosis mingle together. Hypnosis is certainly powerful. It can make us follow a film in trance-like states that suspends disbelief. The film let us into the dream states and wakes us up a couple of times at least. In the end, we are very aware that the film makers are playing with us and it get impossible to deduce who and where we are for a time. Then, we are re-embarked in the roller-coaster mid-ride. kudos to Rosario for going nude so nonchalently, although there could be body double. This is not an americanos film. I liked the film craziness and we were left inside the maze wondering when we entered the dream. We tend to see the girl as the good person. I know for facts that it a regular delusion, a deeply ingrained prejudice. The truth is, the main difference between sexes is that it is more obvious amongst males but may very well be more common amongst females. It is the case in this film.
½ April 22, 2015
One of these films where after 3/4 or 2/3 you spend all the time figuring out where the twist is. Who is messing with who, why and at what point has this whole Fight Club situation started. Some unexpected (even for me) violence and nudity.
½ April 14, 2015
wow... so incredibly confusing but still at least 2.5 stars
April 10, 2015
iee... si... pero no, no.
April 2, 2015
It's fine. But I am very disappointed of Danny Boyle, who should of avoided this. But I guess directors can make mistakes. This one just annoyed me. It's kind of like a pimple.
March 31, 2015
Great performances paired with a very twisty, "Inception" like story revolving around a heist that only gets better as the film goes on. Midway through you begin to doubt what is real and what isn't, and by the end you don't know what to think. Highly recommended to those who like a good movie that screws with your mind. A-
March 29, 2015
Not one of Boyle's better showings. I felt Rosario Dawson was poorly cast; her character's chemistry with McAvoy and Cassel was disingenuous, forced. Perhaps she was the only lead available for full-frontal?
March 19, 2015
a safe work from boyle, but fun to watch on many levels.
March 9, 2015
People get mad at Nolan's dialogue in Inception for being too expositiony, but Trance just has no subtlety at all.

Its like someone watched Inception, decided it was too polished, structured, and enjoyable, and decided to write this mess. How is he a hero if the painting was never found? Why have group hypnotism at all if only a few of the participants are effected?

Style over substance, and not in a good way. First 20 minutes are enjoyable, and then the film collapses on itself. Apparently twist ending = deep.
March 7, 2015
Rant Review

Screw this movie and the horse it rode in on. I only gave it 1 Star because the acting was good and the cinematography was good. The rest of the movie was pure drek. SLIGHT SPOILERS! Between the science of hypnosis being COMPLETELY misrepresented and used as a blanket excuse for plot holes, the characters all being deplorable sociopaths, and the ending asking us to forgive every evil deed and walk away with a whimsical sense of flirtatious mystery simply because of the gender of the one character, this is the first movie in a while that I was genuinely enraged by. Here is a test I apply occasionally to movies to see if I am being pandered to: If you reverse the gender of every major character and change nothing else, would the protagonist still be a hero or just be a self-serving monster? In this case...monster. And there was ZERO reason for the graphic nature of the nudity in this movie. Now, I don't care if you include some nudity in your movie as long as it serves the story, and in this case the nudity is mostly in service of the story, BUT when you make the scenes so blatant and graphic that it comes across as an EXCUSE to show graphic nudity, you go way past artistic expression and wind up right back on the level of a 70s exploitation film.

This was a truly awful movie with no sense of itself that thought it was smarter and bigger than it was. it comes across as though written by an immature film student with social issues and fetishistic tendencies and no sense of restraint. The movie you see in the previews is better. Just watch the ads for this film and imagine a better story. It'll save you the frustration, time, and cash you'd just wind up wasting on this mess. I wish I could hypnotize the memory of this awful movie out of my head.
½ March 1, 2015
I got confused used in some parts, but very entertaining movie but it gets a bit sad too.
February 22, 2015
"Psychedelic Boners" Presents:

Every Top Five viewer's dream; the ability to be able to see Rosario Dawson naked.

A film Callum Hofler has said "Out-mindfucks Inherent Vice, even if Paul Thomas Anderson was actually high whilst making it".

What The Fuck Did I Just Watch: The Movie

Directed by Danny "The Last Act Was Tonally Inconsistent But Still Cool" Boyle.
February 1, 2015
The closest the movie gets to living up to its fantastic first 15 minutes is unfortunately 15 minutes before it concludes. It still is a very twisting movie that will always keep you guessing.
½ January 24, 2015
Wow, i didn't expect to LOVE this movie so much, its brilliant. love it
January 19, 2015
A head trauma makes a robber forget the stolen paintings whereabouts and forces other members to use hypnotist to find its location. Danny Boyle has a made a small and slick thriller with his usual visual flair. The story takes us from the reality to the land of memories and back in a package which keeps you entertained through the running time. Bold and nicely crafted thriller.
January 17, 2015
while in no way the best film by anyone involved, it's a great thriller.
January 4, 2015
This movie has lots of twists & turns.
December 29, 2014
It seemed to be interesing at the beginning. But at the end the plot is rather confusing when the hypnotherapist talked about another woman in Simon's life. We don't know what really happened or just illusions.
December 27, 2014
Danny Boyle just simply amazes me on the caliber type of films he makes. This mystery thriller keeps you guessing throughout the whole film. Well casted and directed. 4 Stars out of 5.
December 27, 2014
While Rosario Dawson has never been finer, she finds her best performance in the midst of a massive mess. The whole story is so implausible and convoluted that it destroys the ultimate enjoyment of the film. James McAvoy is back being his usual creepy self.