Trans Reviews

• Dec 02, 2016

As with most movies trying to use experimental cinematography, there are hits and misses with regard to the camera work in this film; the hazy opening sequences of a carousel, and numerous cuts to blurry, non-discernable color in the dead of night detract from the otherwise sharply captured environment of non-Miami south Florida. Scenes showing Ryan running through an orange grove and later a swamp, along with an extended stay at a rustic general store do well to immerse the viewer in the environment. The film further does well to capture the distinctly class-based struggle that Ryan finds himself in; the strangers at the country store offer him drinks and drive him into town despite his being an escapee, while the black prisoners that he broke out of juvenile hall with treat him better than the white thugs that beat him up in a grocery store parking lot for "stepping on their bottle cap." This film wanders, but does it convincingly.

• Brody M Super Reviewer
    Aug 05, 2010

I expected to like this movie but I was REALLY disappointed.This movie blows!!!!

• Oct 14, 2009

When I first saw this movie it really got me into his adventure/life. There is a great charm this film has, and the way it is put together is quite engrossing. I was surprised that this was released in '98 as it seems like a 2000s movie. Definitely arty and indie-like. I watched it again for the first time in 7 months and it still makes me feel the same way. I think it will remain a special sort of movie for some people that can relate to it.

• Apr 02, 2009

Trans mixes styles and shifts gears, creating eye-searing imagery on what was obviously a tiny budget. It's not, to be kind, the most narratively driven movie you'll ever see; narration and music attempt to string together what's often an aimless series of events. But aimlessness is surely the point, since in Trans what turns people to crime is not evil but boredom.

• Mar 13, 2009

Interesting, low-key experimental movie is not for everyone, but will be greatly appreciated by a small few.

• Feb 24, 2009

Better after repeat veiwings. Seek this out! I loved this, a a fantastic soundtrack helps take us through a few days in the life of a 16 year old Ryan Kazinski in a Florida Juvenile Detention, early on a fight breaks out between two boys, while their out picking up trash on the highway. While the gaurds rush to break them out, several boys just take of running in all directions, Ryan is among them. Its not til theyre halfway in the swamp do any of them stop to consider what their doing. It wont come for Ryan til halfway into the movie, when his brother asks "why did you run? You only had a month left?", and he responds, "lets not talk about it. Doesnt matter now". Whatever stupid thing got him locked up, is now rivaled by his equally stupid attempt at escape. His father is never mentioned, and his mother lives in another state he thinks, he and his younger brother who visits him in detention both arent sure. Once he escapes, freedom includes sitting on the porch with some old guys in front of a gas station, getting beat up in a parking lot for stepping on someones bear bottle tops, listening to fellow escapees free-style, a robbery at a dog pound and stealing a puppy, huffig aerosal out of cool whip in the supermarket, night swimming, evading the police, and visiting his younger brother in turn(the emotional heart of the film). What he does isnt whats impressive about this movie(most of the time hes either a child or an idiot), its the way its shown, the use of music, sound, camera, and voice over, that makes so engrossing. Style over substance maybe, but I prefer to think the movie itself, enriches and exceeds the narrow confines of the story, as all good films should. And now the comparisons: rambling voice over from Terrance Malick, music from Morvern Callar and Paranoid Park(which I wouldnt doubt Van Sant saw before going on to his film), story ala Down By Law, some white trash moments from Harmony Korine(with more compasion and less freak show). But those are its references, and scarecly give you sense of how exhilerating and exuberant the whole thing is. Theres little dialogue, and the story feels plotless at points, but by the end, every visit and encounter has had consequences on another. If there is a message to this(if there must be), maybe its that even the seemingly meaningless and impulsive decisions made always have consequences later, but they can richocet to worse, just as well as to better. The ending may seem underthought to some, but I appreciated that it didnt devolve into another muddled indie tragedy. Instead it took off into the clouds. This movie resonated with me, even its uneveness and flaws. I was mesmerized from the first frame to the last. Like southern fried, french new wave. I really, really want the soundtrack. Beautiful and hypnotic.

• Feb 14, 2009

The film does a lot of things right. When it comes to atmosphere, from the first sprint through an orange grove to the swamps to the interstates, the film's portrayal of Florida is immersive. Much like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, though the state itself has nothing to do with the film, the portrait painted is memorable. The narrative itself is solid in its chaotic depiction of youth. Where it fails, though, is in becoming way too over-stylized. There are so many sequences that are distorted or amplified, with no coherent method, that the film ends up feeling in many places like a mix tape for the director. Shame, considering that it already had a great atmosphere that would have carried it a long way. The soundtrack and cinematography obstruct more than they enhance.

• Aug 02, 2008

Kinda disappointed with this flick. No closure to the ending.

Kinda disappointed with this flick. No closure to the ending.

• Jul 20, 2008

[color=white][img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/59/182859.jpg[/img][/color] [color=white][/color] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Ryan Kazinski is a 16 year old kid who has been locked up in a Florida juvenile detention agency. During a routine road cleaning exercise, two kids break out fighting and Ryan escapes into the Florida swamps. Ryan spends his days on the streets making friends and devising a plan to find his way to Colorado to visit his mother; however, life on the streets is rough and it costs some serious money. Will Ryan make it to Colorado?[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“Why do you think we’re here today?”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“Different reasons.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“I think the corn drew us here.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Julian Goldberger, director of The Eulipion and The Hawk is Dying, delivers Trans. The storyline for this film had a lot of potential based on its plot; however, it does go in a couple directions that did not work for me. Ryan Daugherty delivers an above average performance as the lead character in this picture.[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“He’s just weird in a way that I don’t know if I can describe.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [size=3][font=Times New Roman][color=white]Trans was a film that recently aired on the Independent Film Channel (IFC). The storyline grabbed my attention due to past experiences with juvenile detention agencies. I was interested in the manner in which the children would be depicted. Daugherty’s performance was a solid depiction of a confused teenager with little direction trying to understand how the world works. I enjoyed Daugherty’s performance but the direction of the movie was a bit uneven. [/color][/font][/size] [size=3][font=Times New Roman][/font][/size][font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]“Drop the gun.”[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white] [/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=white]Grade: C+[/color][/size][/font]

• Jan 23, 2008

freeform quasi-documentary drama. aimless adolescence.

freeform quasi-documentary drama. aimless adolescence.