Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - Rotten Tomatoes

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Its special effects -- and 3D shots -- are undeniably impressive, but they aren't enough to fill up its loud, bloated running time, or mask its thin, indifferent script.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Videos

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Photos

Movie Info

Shia LaBeouf returns as Sam Witwicky in Transformers: Dark of the Moon. When a mysterious event from Earth's past erupts into the present day it threatens to bring a war to Earth so big that the Transformers alone will not be able to save us. -- (C) Paramount

Watch it now

as Bill O'Reilly
Dustin Dennard
as Lennox Lieutenant
Markiss McFadden
as Lennox Team "Baby Face"
Nick Bickle
Tom Virtue
Thomas Crawford
Kevin Sizemore
Alan Pietruszewski
as NASA Mission Controller (1969)
Michael Daniel Cassady
as NASA Launch Technician (1969)
Peter Murnik
as Tracking Station Supervisor (1969)
Cory Tucker
as Leadfoot/Target
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Critic Reviews for Transformers: Dark of the Moon

All Critics (246) | Top Critics (48)

The third outing for a herd of toys that should have stayed in their boxes.

Full Review… | July 18, 2011
New Yorker
Top Critic

The original Transformers wasn't a great movie, but at least it started out as fun, with Shia LaBeouf as a high-school student who discovers that his new yellow Camaro is actually an Autobot sent to earth to ward off evil Decepticons from their...

July 5, 2011
indieWIRE
Top Critic

Despite its manifest improvements, there is something so sour and unpleasant about the new film that it left me almost nostalgic for the innocent idiocies of its predecessor.

Full Review… | July 1, 2011
The Atlantic
Top Critic

At 157 minutes, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" isn't just a movie. It's a sentence.

Full Review… | July 1, 2011
Wall Street Journal
Top Critic

For good or ill, Bay is the soul of a new machine, the poet of post-human cinema, the CEO of Hollywood's military-entertainment complex.

Full Review… | June 30, 2011
TIME Magazine
Top Critic

Marveling at its grotesque gigantism doesn't make this two-and-a-half-hour-long movie any less dull.

Full Review… | June 29, 2011
Slate

Audience Reviews for Transformers: Dark of the Moon

So here we are again and right from the start with the intro of Shockwave I was disappointed yet not particularly surprised. Moving on we are introduced to a talking LaserBeak and a small troll like Autobot called Brains! oh my heart sinks and we haven't even begun. OK well on the plus side there is some nice humour in this new installment from various characters that did make me smile. Turturro as always is quality with his snappy dialog where as Malkovich adds an impressive little performance I didn't really see coming, small but sweet. Ken Jeong is an uprising star in my books and his performances have all been good so far, in his short role here he doesn't disappoint with a cracking little show. Unfortunately we still have to sit through the annoying screaming and twitching of LaBeouf whose participation in these films has damaged his credibility big time. As for new entry Rosie Huntington-Whiteley...well I've not seen a more horrifically bad performance in sometime, the girl is beautiful, she can pout like no ones business and I'm sure she models well but acting is clearly a step too far and should never be tried again. Its actually fitting she's in this film as to be honest this glitzy overblown mess fits her pretty princess attitude perfectly. Shots of Whiteley up against super cars? check, anyone notice she's still wearing her posh high heels during the finale showdown!. Anyone actually asked themselves how a geek like LaBeouf's character somehow manages to get these girls in these films!? talk about fantasy! Basically the inclusion of bling actors such as Gibson pretty much sum up the whole franchise. The film gains a tad more respect with the continued talents of Weaving and Cullen. Added to the gang are Nimoy and Remar, Nimoy of course being experienced in voicing Gavaltron in the animated and better Transformer movie of 86. Credit where credits due you must applaud the CGI effects, they are very impressive and look good as they screech around highways with multiple explosions going off around them. It looks faultless and along with Bays pretty direction and fetish of the military, explosions and slow motion against sunsets its a picture for sure. As before we still have the same issue as the previous films where its virtually impossible to tell what the hell is going on when the bots fight. You still can't distinguish between Autobots or Decepticons accept for their eye colour with most Transformer characters just coming across as large shiny whirring clicking statues of CGI metal. The rather long finale highlights this problem by adding massive amounts of building carnage and debris into the mix making it completely impossible to make out what on earth is going on, its just insane! I still can't stand the recreation of classic designs for the new film. The new creations they come up with for new Transformers are terrible and why do all Decepticons look like monsters, insects or wild animals? did I even see a 'Predator' type Decepticon with dreads at one point? The film is overly long and HUGELY cliched (every cliche in the book). Much of the film feels like a music video or adverts for super cars as Bay tries to evoke emotion but fails miserably by adding rock music over sequences of supposed trauma and horror, plus the whole thing is sooo God Bless America. There are also so many poor sequences with questions such as how did Sam kill Starscream exactly? what was that gauntlet thing he had? how did the Sam and the others manage to get out of the skyscraper that was practically destroyed and virtually at a 90 degree angle? they just walked out of the doors it seems with no worries? Where does Optimus and the main Autobots vanish too for most of the finale battle? and who was that crappy balding professor looking Autobot with the British accent that got executed!!? just faceless characters for killing...poor film making. People say this is the better of the trilogy, I can't see it. Its a bit darker as we see people killed in this film plus Optimus being brutal at the very end but for me this is just as bad as the previous two making it hard to try and decide which is the better film, is there a better film? (Can't believe Optimus lets Cybertron get destroyed!! as if!)

Phil Hubbs
Phil Hubbs

After the huge disappointment that was "Revenge of the Fallen," I felt myself losing faith in the Transformers universe, however, I am pleased to say that "Dark of the Moon" is an improvement. 50 years ago when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, he was the first to discover the alien race. The ship that was found on the moon contained the planets leader: Sentinal Prime. This fake backstory opened the world a bit more and left room to expand the story. As our heroes are once again running for their lives, we find ourselves doing something that both of the previous films failed, displaying real emotion. There are many deaths presented here, and through each and every death, no matter how big or little, you care for every one. Yes, the dumb humor is as bad as ever, but this film seems to care a little more as well. This film may not live up to the original in terms of fun and witty action, but this film has all the emotion and storytelling that the first two failed upon. "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" is awesome summer entertainment!

KJ Proulx
KJ Proulx

½

This movie never had a chance with critics. The franchise had an awful start there's no doubt about it and will forever be a CGI action orgy, but DotM actually makes an effort with a coherent sensible story and character intrigue. Transformers 3 isn't as dumb as its predecessors and definitely boasters enough of a spectacle to be worth every bang of your buck. The story's not as simple and shallow as skeptics claim, with enough twists and turns in the first 1/3 to keep the viewers interested. (but then predictably stumbles into an action-orgy as things draw to an end) It's nowhere near being a masterpiece, there are some glaring issues with the dialogue/script that needed tightening and quite a few plot holes that weren't addressed. (Why not nuke the city? Where was the entire US army?) but I can forgive a lot of this because many also ignored the issues with Cameron's cliche filled world of "Avatar" The biggest highlight of this movie is the sheer entertainment value. The visuals are absolutely astounding to the point where I was having a hard time processing the volume of amusement that was being handed to me. For an alien invasion, action flick, that started with a little boy/frat boy demographic; Transformers 3 exceeds expectations. It's a great watch if you give it a chance rather than letting the first 2 films sour expectations.

Drake Tsui
Drake Tsui

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss Transformers: Dark of the Moon on our Movie forum!

News & Features