The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

December 20, 2015
Besides the "stinking badges" quote I find the movie quite forgettable
November 25, 2015
How do you review a movie that is commonly hailed as a masterpiece which came out in the 1940s? Do you give it credit of how it influenced movies? Do you rate it by how much you liked it personally? Thankfully this movie holds up. This is a classic story about greed and is at times very funny and at time sad to see what greed does to a man, it completely changes him. This is one those movies that I feel is a TIMELESS CLASSIC so of course it gets a 5/5 from me. It really tackles it's subject matter excellently and i feel is one of the best movies ever made.
½ October 8, 2015
Et af filmhistoriens helt store mesterværker, der stadig holder 100 procent. Så enkelt kan det gøres, og så svært er det.
September 15, 2015
John Huston made quite a name for himself back in the day with the simple trick of presenting the story from the antagonist's point-of-view, and we are with him (Bogie as Fred C. Dobbs) as he slowly begins to slide into disconnection all the while clasping onto sanity with all the power at his command. Huston gave the protagonist role to his grudging father (Walter Huston), and you can really see him frame the codger in a favorable light (and see ol'Walt love it), but its Bogie's film (everyone knows) no matter who got the Oscar. Tim Holt does well as the unsung third wheel. The bar fight is an exceptional piece of work in a film loaded with intimate gems of moments, not the least of which is Bogie begging for money.
September 10, 2015
An absolutely brilliant film.

While Bogart gets plenty of lime light, the real winner here is Walter (when hes around). Tim Holt does well to add an element of humanity, while still being a character of his own.

This film was intense to watch, I had no previous idea as to the plot the film was based on. All I know is I watched it like a hawk, never quite knowing what to expect.

The whole film is unlike anything I've ever seen, and really puts an interesting perspective on greed.

The ending was fantastic, and it was so refreshing.

This is a film nearly anybody would enjoy, its got thrill plot, great dialogue, great characters, great study, and most importantly humour!
August 23, 2015
Yo se lo pondría a los niños para que entendieran de un modo sencillo, cómo puede llegar a comportarse el ser humano en ciertos entornos.
July 20, 2015
- this is a true masterpiece that I have now watched several times. A great story with fantastic performances by Walter Huston and Humphrey Bogart, and also great direction from John Huston. This movie is s must watch, plain and simple!

- A great story of how greed corrupts. I hadn't seen this in a while and it really holds up to multiple viewings. Bogart is great, really interesting to watch his transformation. John Huston also directed his father Walter to an Oscar. This is a must watch!
May 29, 2015
one of my top 22 films
May 14, 2015
Starring Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and Tim Holt. An uncompromising look at the dark side of human nature, this may be director John Huston's finest cinematic offering. Bogart was never better than here, as the gold miner Fred C. Dobbs. His character undergoes a metamorphosis from congenial, average guy to a murderous monster gripped by paranoia. Walter Huston, the director's father, sheds his suave matinee idol image here, instead playing a crusty old prospector who's seen everything. Movies just don't get any better.
March 30, 2015
Wow, Humphrey Bogart is so paranoid in this movie. I love it. Walter Huston was really funny, too. I see Rotten Tomatoes doesn't list this as a comedy, but I thought it was hilarious in a good way. Definitely a classic.
March 19, 2015
one of my all time favorites.. the spooner sat nite 1948
March 7, 2015
As great a movie as has ever been made. Perfect.
March 2, 2015
In the 1920's a scumbag gringo (Humphrey Bogart) is hanging out on the streets of Tampico, Mexico begging and stealing. Desperate, he tries to make money any way he can, eventually getting enough cash to start out as a gold prospector. He joins two others in the search; after quite some time with no luck they start to strike it rich. Greed, distrust and madness start to descend upon their secluded camp. Soon banditos (w/o stinkin' badgers) happen upon the camp which results in a shootout which the prospectors win. After leaving the camp, Humphrey decides to Bogart on the deal and steal his partners' gold. This does not become a fruitful endeavour as banditos happen upon him, killing him with a machete and mistaking the gold for dust as they throw it to the winds. The film did a very good job showcasing the decent into madness and demonstrating the pursuit of wealth as futile.
February 26, 2015
Finest black & white western I've seen and the greatest joke ever told.

The old man is the best, reminds me of my grandad. This picture has everything you want from the western genre except for maybe a beautiful leading lady, but who needs'em. It has friendship, betrayal, success, underdogs, wisdom, stupidity, evil, loss and humour in the funniest way. Unexpectedly are great film, will definitely watch it again soon!

Should of been called, The Crazy, The Saint & The Wise.
January 30, 2015
One of Bogart's best performances and an amazing western by John Huston. Full review later.
½ January 29, 2015
I am just not much of a western guy. This is not a typical western with atypical drama and dark themes, but it's still not my cup of tea.
January 28, 2015
One of Bogart's best performances (which is really saying something) with spot-on direction from John Huston and a terrific, hilarious, memorable supporting turn from his father Walter. One of the most gripping and wildly unpredictable films I've ever seen.
January 24, 2015
This is about as perfect of a movie as you'll ever find. It was made in 1948 and holds up better than most films half its age. Adventure films today don't even come close. Highly recommend this one.
January 18, 2015
Obra maestra de John Huston es una fabula sobre la codicia del ser humano y como la ambicion cambia a una persona , filmada en un maravilloso blanco y negro , con unos personajes memorables especiamente el de Walter Huston , de vision obligatoria.