The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

June 22, 2016
Hey, I finally saw the "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges." movie! :-) Super beautifully filmed movie! And Bogart is great in his role! This has to be one of the sweatiest, dirtiest films of all time! Yuck! And the greed, greed, greed. Not so good, Dobbs ol' pal? Holt and Huston are also very good, and the trio together make this the classic that it is!
June 14, 2016
Bogeys best film. The starts and ends with strong performances from the entire cast. A must see...
June 6, 2016
I have to say, watching a classic black and white movie that's over 2 hours long is quite a challenge when you're sleepy. Still, this kept my interest the whole way through. I mean, who doesn't love a good adventure? Gold prospecting in northern Mexico, banditos on the prowl and Humphrey Bogart.. good stuff right here.
May 20, 2016
A fine tale of trust, honour, greed and suspicion played out in the perfect setting for it.
½ May 17, 2016
Action, drama, suspense, betrayal, hope, gunfights, redemption, twists and 3 Oscars in one of Humphrey Bogart's great classics.
April 22, 2016
An immortal classic. It's a fascinating experience, an example of a perfect movie.
April 16, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
April 16, 2016
A totally brilliant film. This is the one that Bogart SHOULD have won an oscar for, as his performance is wonderful. Having said that, the whole movie is stolen by the incredible performance of Walter Huston as the "old" prospector....and what a performance!! Truly deserved the oscar he won for it. In short, a "tour de force" by all the actors, not least the wonderful "gold hat"....Alfonso Bedoya.One of the classic all time movies, Hollywood at it's best and, for me, impossible to fault. A truly GREAT movie. I just wonder how Bogart didn't get that oscar! His best performance by far, although the oscar he DID win in "The African Queen" was fabulous too.
½ April 6, 2016
Roy Dobbs is a jerk.... And some of the old endings aren't my style
April 3, 2016
85%
Saw this on 2/4/16
Humphrey Bogart's terrific anti-hero is the key to this film and the actor plays a role that seems real strange for a star to play at that point of time. The film is dark, gritty and still fast paced.
March 29, 2016
One if not the greatest movie ever made
½ March 27, 2016
They just don't make movies like this one anymore. I haven't seen another of John Huston's movies, but I can tell that this is really the best one he's made. The acting by Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and others is just excellent, and this film isn't just your typical adventurous western movie, it also has some pieces of psychology of human nature. It's a terrific movie. Recommended !!
January 24, 2016
The fantastic story, strong message and theme of loyalty throughout the film, makes for a powerful and moving piece of cinema topped off by great performances by Bogart, Holt, and Huston.
January 23, 2016
Badges! We don't need to show you no stinking badges! These are the immortal words spoken by a Mexican bandit upon discovering Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, and Walter Huston squatting on a solid vein of gold and hoping to remake their destitute lives with a tidy profit. But bandits are only one of their problems; greed and mistrust are the major obstacles to their success. Bogie is ugly as Fred C. Dobbs who is most crippled by the paranoia that descends as their fortunes increase. But Walter Huston (father of the director and a star in his own right) really steals the show as the wise old prospector who knows all the tricks of the trade and has his head screwed on straight. The fact that he can relish the absurdity of the movie's ending with a hearty laugh endears him to us even more. Huston (the son) shot the film on location in Mexico and you can tell; he also makes a cameo early in the picture when Bogie hits him up for some loose change in Tampico. The new blu-ray version I watched felt weirdly clean and detailed for a film this old - like you are there - in sun-baked black and white. A classic that never gets old (and reminds you that the pursuit of wealth at the expense of your relationships is bound to be folly).
January 16, 2016
160116: Neat old classy film. Bogart is a creepy character and I'm not certain it was only in this film. Great acting, cinematography, costumes, sets and locale.
January 14, 2016
Not Bad For Classic Cinema Circa 1948...
December 20, 2015
Besides the "stinking badges" quote I find the movie quite forgettable
November 25, 2015
How do you review a movie that is commonly hailed as a masterpiece which came out in the 1940s? Do you give it credit of how it influenced movies? Do you rate it by how much you liked it personally? Thankfully this movie holds up. This is a classic story about greed and is at times very funny and at time sad to see what greed does to a man, it completely changes him. This is one those movies that I feel is a TIMELESS CLASSIC so of course it gets a 5/5 from me. It really tackles it's subject matter excellently and i feel is one of the best movies ever made.