The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

April 3, 2016
85%
Saw this on 2/4/16
Humphrey Bogart's terrific anti-hero is the key to this film and the actor plays a role that seems real strange for a star to play at that point of time. The film is dark, gritty and still fast paced.
March 29, 2016
One if not the greatest movie ever made
½ March 27, 2016
They just don't make movies like this one anymore. I haven't seen another of John Huston's movies, but I can tell that this is really the best one he's made. The acting by Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and others is just excellent, and this film isn't just your typical adventurous western movie, it also has some pieces of psychology of human nature. It's a terrific movie. Recommended !!
January 24, 2016
The fantastic story, strong message and theme of loyalty throughout the film, makes for a powerful and moving piece of cinema topped off by great performances by Bogart, Holt, and Huston.
January 23, 2016
Badges! We don't need to show you no stinking badges! These are the immortal words spoken by a Mexican bandit upon discovering Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, and Walter Huston squatting on a solid vein of gold and hoping to remake their destitute lives with a tidy profit. But bandits are only one of their problems; greed and mistrust are the major obstacles to their success. Bogie is ugly as Fred C. Dobbs who is most crippled by the paranoia that descends as their fortunes increase. But Walter Huston (father of the director and a star in his own right) really steals the show as the wise old prospector who knows all the tricks of the trade and has his head screwed on straight. The fact that he can relish the absurdity of the movie's ending with a hearty laugh endears him to us even more. Huston (the son) shot the film on location in Mexico and you can tell; he also makes a cameo early in the picture when Bogie hits him up for some loose change in Tampico. The new blu-ray version I watched felt weirdly clean and detailed for a film this old - like you are there - in sun-baked black and white. A classic that never gets old (and reminds you that the pursuit of wealth at the expense of your relationships is bound to be folly).
January 16, 2016
160116: Neat old classy film. Bogart is a creepy character and I'm not certain it was only in this film. Great acting, cinematography, costumes, sets and locale.
January 14, 2016
Not Bad For Classic Cinema Circa 1948...
December 20, 2015
Besides the "stinking badges" quote I find the movie quite forgettable
November 25, 2015
How do you review a movie that is commonly hailed as a masterpiece which came out in the 1940s? Do you give it credit of how it influenced movies? Do you rate it by how much you liked it personally? Thankfully this movie holds up. This is a classic story about greed and is at times very funny and at time sad to see what greed does to a man, it completely changes him. This is one those movies that I feel is a TIMELESS CLASSIC so of course it gets a 5/5 from me. It really tackles it's subject matter excellently and i feel is one of the best movies ever made.
½ October 8, 2015
Et af filmhistoriens helt store mesterværker, der stadig holder 100 procent. Så enkelt kan det gøres, og så svært er det.
September 15, 2015
John Huston made quite a name for himself back in the day with the simple trick of presenting the story from the antagonist's point-of-view, and we are with him (Bogie as Fred C. Dobbs) as he slowly begins to slide into disconnection all the while clasping onto sanity with all the power at his command. Huston gave the protagonist role to his grudging father (Walter Huston), and you can really see him frame the codger in a favorable light (and see ol'Walt love it), but its Bogie's film (everyone knows) no matter who got the Oscar. Tim Holt does well as the unsung third wheel. The bar fight is an exceptional piece of work in a film loaded with intimate gems of moments, not the least of which is Bogie begging for money.
September 10, 2015
An absolutely brilliant film.

While Bogart gets plenty of lime light, the real winner here is Walter (when hes around). Tim Holt does well to add an element of humanity, while still being a character of his own.

This film was intense to watch, I had no previous idea as to the plot the film was based on. All I know is I watched it like a hawk, never quite knowing what to expect.

The whole film is unlike anything I've ever seen, and really puts an interesting perspective on greed.

The ending was fantastic, and it was so refreshing.

This is a film nearly anybody would enjoy, its got thrill plot, great dialogue, great characters, great study, and most importantly humour!
August 23, 2015
Yo se lo pondría a los niños para que entendieran de un modo sencillo, cómo puede llegar a comportarse el ser humano en ciertos entornos.
July 20, 2015
- this is a true masterpiece that I have now watched several times. A great story with fantastic performances by Walter Huston and Humphrey Bogart, and also great direction from John Huston. This movie is s must watch, plain and simple!

- A great story of how greed corrupts. I hadn't seen this in a while and it really holds up to multiple viewings. Bogart is great, really interesting to watch his transformation. John Huston also directed his father Walter to an Oscar. This is a must watch!
May 29, 2015
one of my top 22 films
May 14, 2015
Starring Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and Tim Holt. An uncompromising look at the dark side of human nature, this may be director John Huston's finest cinematic offering. Bogart was never better than here, as the gold miner Fred C. Dobbs. His character undergoes a metamorphosis from congenial, average guy to a murderous monster gripped by paranoia. Walter Huston, the director's father, sheds his suave matinee idol image here, instead playing a crusty old prospector who's seen everything. Movies just don't get any better.
March 30, 2015
Wow, Humphrey Bogart is so paranoid in this movie. I love it. Walter Huston was really funny, too. I see Rotten Tomatoes doesn't list this as a comedy, but I thought it was hilarious in a good way. Definitely a classic.
March 19, 2015