The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

March 2, 2015
In the 1920's a scumbag gringo (Humphrey Bogart) is hanging out on the streets of Tampico, Mexico begging and stealing. Desperate, he tries to make money any way he can, eventually getting enough cash to start out as a gold prospector. He joins two others in the search; after quite some time with no luck they start to strike it rich. Greed, distrust and madness start to descend upon their secluded camp. Soon banditos (w/o stinkin' badgers) happen upon the camp which results in a shootout which the prospectors win. After leaving the camp, Humphrey decides to Bogart on the deal and steal his partners' gold. This does not become a fruitful endeavour as banditos happen upon him, killing him with a machete and mistaking the gold for dust as they throw it to the winds. The film did a very good job showcasing the decent into madness and demonstrating the pursuit of wealth as futile.
February 26, 2015
Finest black & white western I've seen and the greatest joke ever told.

The old man is the best, reminds me of my grandad. This picture has everything you want from the western genre except for maybe a beautiful leading lady, but who needs'em. It has friendship, betrayal, success, underdogs, wisdom, stupidity, evil, loss and humour in the funniest way. Unexpectedly are great film, will definitely watch it again soon!

Should of been called, The Crazy, The Saint & The Wise.
January 30, 2015
One of Bogart's best performances and an amazing western by John Huston. Full review later.
½ January 29, 2015
I am just not much of a western guy. This is not a typical western with atypical drama and dark themes, but it's still not my cup of tea.
January 28, 2015
One of Bogart's best performances (which is really saying something) with spot-on direction from John Huston and a terrific, hilarious, memorable supporting turn from his father Walter. One of the most gripping and wildly unpredictable films I've ever seen.
January 24, 2015
This is about as perfect of a movie as you'll ever find. It was made in 1948 and holds up better than most films half its age. Adventure films today don't even come close. Highly recommend this one.
January 18, 2015
Obra maestra de John Huston es una fabula sobre la codicia del ser humano y como la ambicion cambia a una persona , filmada en un maravilloso blanco y negro , con unos personajes memorables especiamente el de Walter Huston , de vision obligatoria.
January 13, 2015
Beautifully shot, well-acted, and morally thought-provoking, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre remains a relevant cautionary tale on the danger of greed.
January 5, 2015
Some of their accents made it hard to hear. Other than that it was pretty interesting adventure story and I really liked the character of Howard (the old man). I imagine it was just as terrible and dangerous digging for gold back then, unfortunately with the greed that comes with it. It got pretty dark for an old movie. It was very sad to see Bogart's character continue to deteriorate into a paranoid sociopath and for nothing, great job of acting there. Now I know where that line comes from-We don't need no stinkin badges-haha.
December 24, 2014
Slooooooowly paced but with excellent performances.
December 1, 2014
Stunning is the only word to describe "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Rarely does a film combine action and excitement with well written character studies but this film succeeds superbly.
½ October 30, 2014
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre shows both John Huston and Humphrey Bogart at their best in this grim western adventure.
October 27, 2014
a movie about mans morality about the loss of self esteem and the struggle with the seven sins.
October 24, 2014
One of director John Huston's finest films, with Bogie giving an epic performance as prospector Fred C Dobbs. One of the Forties' greatest triumphs and a stunning and sobering morality play. Essential.
½ October 19, 2014
One of the finest American classics of all time. The Treasure of Sierra Madre is a meticulously crafted drama, and Humphrey Bogart shines like a gold throughout.
½ October 8, 2014
The essence of human self-interest is powerfully explored in John Huston's intelligent and fascinating classic.
½ September 22, 2014
Judging by cinematic skills of the 1940s, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a provocative disclosure of the destruction of greediness on mankind. However, the corruption is indeed resulted from the relatively more implicit criticisms on capitalist exploitation, which is becoming increasingly true in modern era. Just imagine the drastic change of Humphrey Bogart, is that spine-shivering? The fruitless ending is an acrimonious sarcasm and irony to the ulterior objects in view of the protagonists, but somehow an exemplification of justice and reward to 'kindness', or maybe wisdom of insight into worldly affairs. Bogart is undoubtedly brilliant for sacrificing his established image of good guy since Casablanca, but the real difference is made by the glamorous Walter Huston.
September 14, 2014
Well that was damn near perfect for what it was. I love old classic movies, and I love stories of human frailty and the destruction that comes with it. Great acting all the way around, I now know the source of a cliche pop culture quote, and the character I was particularly concerned over came out okay. I coulda done without dead gilla monsters and burros, particularly as given the era I don't trust they weren't really, but that'd be my only change.
August 23, 2014
Again, mankind is evil..
July 25, 2014
One could say it's a great meditation on greed and its effect on ones soul. One could also say it's a template for a great SImpsons episode :)