The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

January 13, 2015
Beautifully shot, well-acted, and morally thought-provoking, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre remains a relevant cautionary tale on the danger of greed.
January 5, 2015
Some of their accents made it hard to hear. Other than that it was pretty interesting adventure story and I really liked the character of Howard (the old man). I imagine it was just as terrible and dangerous digging for gold back then, unfortunately with the greed that comes with it. It got pretty dark for an old movie. It was very sad to see Bogart's character continue to deteriorate into a paranoid sociopath and for nothing, great job of acting there. Now I know where that line comes from-We don't need no stinkin badges-haha.
December 24, 2014
Slooooooowly paced but with excellent performances.
December 1, 2014
Stunning is the only word to describe "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Rarely does a film combine action and excitement with well written character studies but this film succeeds superbly.
½ October 30, 2014
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre shows both John Huston and Humphrey Bogart at their best in this grim western adventure.
October 27, 2014
a movie about mans morality about the loss of self esteem and the struggle with the seven sins.
October 24, 2014
One of director John Huston's finest films, with Bogie giving an epic performance as prospector Fred C Dobbs. One of the Forties' greatest triumphs and a stunning and sobering morality play. Essential.
½ October 19, 2014
One of the finest American classics of all time. The Treasure of Sierra Madre is a meticulously crafted drama, and Humphrey Bogart shines like a gold throughout.
½ October 8, 2014
The essence of human self-interest is powerfully explored in John Huston's intelligent and fascinating classic.
½ September 22, 2014
Judging by cinematic skills of the 1940s, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a provocative disclosure of the destruction of greediness on mankind. However, the corruption is indeed resulted from the relatively more implicit criticisms on capitalist exploitation, which is becoming increasingly true in modern era. Just imagine the drastic change of Humphrey Bogart, is that spine-shivering? The fruitless ending is an acrimonious sarcasm and irony to the ulterior objects in view of the protagonists, but somehow an exemplification of justice and reward to 'kindness', or maybe wisdom of insight into worldly affairs. Bogart is undoubtedly brilliant for sacrificing his established image of good guy since Casablanca, but the real difference is made by the glamorous Walter Huston.
September 14, 2014
Well that was damn near perfect for what it was. I love old classic movies, and I love stories of human frailty and the destruction that comes with it. Great acting all the way around, I now know the source of a cliche pop culture quote, and the character I was particularly concerned over came out okay. I coulda done without dead gilla monsters and burros, particularly as given the era I don't trust they weren't really, but that'd be my only change.
August 23, 2014
Again, mankind is evil..
½ August 2, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/21/2011)
July 25, 2014
One could say it's a great meditation on greed and its effect on ones soul. One could also say it's a template for a great SImpsons episode :)
July 4, 2014
Walter Huston steals the scene and deserved the Oscar he won, but Bogart was unfairly not even nominated for his phenomenal performance in this classic that is all at once a light adventure, a riveting character study and a powerful morality tale about greed and paranoia.
June 30, 2014
A pair of guys who are down on their luck are presented with the opportunity to strike it rich looking for gold with a crazy old man. So they go out seeking their fortune and with a little time and a lot of hard labor they are able to find the riches they seek. The only problem is they have to work together and trust one another, and greed has a strangely powerful ability to corrupt a man's mind. Of the movies I've seen I think this might be the finest performance I have ever seen from Humphrey Bogart. The way he portrays such a lovable rogue at the beginning, and then the slow descent into madness is played so remarkably well. In less capable hands I think you could look at the Dobbs from the beginning of the film and the one at the end as 2 completely different characters, but Bogart excels at showing the gradual slide in such a way that you almost feel pity for him later in the movie. The whole story in this movie takes some time to get going, there is a lot of character development stuff at the beginning that establishes the kind of guys they are so it can feel like things are dragging. But once the gold enters the equation the story is excellent. Some credit also has to go to the hair, makeup, and costume departments. Bogart's outward appearance seems to perfectly match the inward decline of his sanity, to the point where he almost looks like a wild animal by the end.

I could see some people having issues with this movie. It's not the Bogie they might be expecting. He's supposed to be the hero in movies, but that falls apart here. But thankfully they do give you someone to root for in Tim Holt. His portrayal of Curtin has an edge to it, but you are given a moment where you come to find that he's going to be honorable. Of course that doesn't mean everything will turn out perfectly for him, but I've already spoiled enough of the movie, so I won't go into that. This movie is also very quotable, including the famous "badges" line that has been imitated more times than can be counted. That very encounter with the banditos is a unique one as well. I find it a strange contrast that they are so afraid for their lives and yet the ones they consider a threat are smiling happily at them. It seems like every scene in Treasure of the Sierra Madre is perfectly scripted. I am constantly impressed with how excellent writing was back then. They could say so much with only a few sentences, and get away with some innuendo without having to resort to coarse language. This is a good movie with some truly amazing performances that elevate the film to another level. I give it my highest recommendation to all who are interested that haven't seen it.
½ June 13, 2014
A bit strict rate i got to say, but i expected more...
June 12, 2014
I have never really been a fan of old b&w films however seeing this as #1 on RT list of 100 top western films and seeing that Bogey starred in it I decided to give it a chance... Well it only proved one thing and that was to stay clear of old movies as the acting aside from Walter Huston's performance was atrocious. The storyline kept me watching however...although I found the ending ridiculous .Well I guess with these old films people must be seeing something I'm not ad it was deemed 100 % fresh and #1 on the list...well unto #2 on the list "The Good The Bad And The Ugly another western I have yet to see..I hear Clint Eastwood is in that?
May 13, 2014
Another Bogart classic as he tries to outwit fellow desperate fellows in a bid to find treasure in Mexico. It is a classic tale of green and broken friendships but told in a very delightful way.
March 24, 2014
Humphrey Bogart stars in this John Huston film about a couple of down on their luck guys who team up with an old prospector in search of gold. It follows their adventures from finding the gold, to digging it up, and then trying to get it back and be rich. It is possibly most famous for its "stinking badges!" line, which I knew long before I ever discovered it's true origin. The film is far better than just one line though, quite enjoyable, and Bogart gives a great performance.