The Treatment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Treatment Reviews

May 16, 2015
Ihan toimiva leffa. (Suom. Rakkausterapiaa)
March 28, 2014
Cute movie....I bet the book was even better. Loved it.
February 24, 2013
I thought this movie was interesting. I thought the actors did their parts well.
February 11, 2013
A man undergoing therapy deals with life's twists and turns for him as he struggles to fit in. Its a Woody Allen film, in a word, without Allen. Janssen does okay as the love interest and Holm almost steals the film as the Argentinian Freudian (didn't the Nazis repratriate in Argentina after the war ... ?) trying to solve Eigeman's neurosis. Eigeman's not usually in the driver's seat and only fares as "okay" being there, but it's not his fault really. The script ... the script!
November 30, 2011
Nothing great about this movie. Christopher Eigeman was ok, but Famke Janssen really underplayd a lot. And the whole Dr thing.. say what?
½ January 15, 2011
Quirky film but well played by allthe actors.
½ January 6, 2011
A non-typical romantic comedy... Enjoyable.
January 2, 2011
Love these two actors! liked this movie!
December 31, 2010
A quirky engaging film in which an unconventional Freudian psychoanalyst pushes his patient, Jake Singer to engage life. Terrific performances by Chris Eigeman, Famke Janssen, and Ian Holm as Dr. Morales. The screenplay presents difficult choices to the audience who get to see if the characters make the same choice. Great score by John Zorn.
December 3, 2010
brutal truths of life I must say...
August 17, 2010
lost interest in this unfortunately. Perhaps I will try again another time and actually watch it through.
½ July 25, 2010
I hated this film, it was awful. I only saw it because of Famke but even she did a poor performance.
½ March 5, 2010
cute and quirky, just like I like 'em.
January 13, 2010
Very psychological movie about a man and his descissions, rumbled by love and life.pretty learning! liked it a lot!
December 20, 2009
A nice romantic comedy about a school teacher who finally falls in love with the right woman but must over come his psychoanalyst's objections (humorously played by Ian Holm) and a few unexpected twists. Oren Rudavsky shows that someone other than Woody Allen can create a comedy about relationship starved New Yorkers!
½ November 16, 2009
Having read the unpublished manuscript for one of the productions companies I worked for several years back, I was looking forward to seeing The Treatment adapted for the screen. However, I knew it would be tricky since the novel contained a lot of talky scenes of therapy sessions that could make the movie too slow.

Well this adaptation certainly does not suffer from that problem. In fact, it is the lack of these dynamic scenes with their snappy dialogue that makes this film completely miss the mark. What I found absolutely hilarious about the novel were the interactions between the character of the therapist, Dr. Ernesto Morales (Ian Holm), an Argentinean Freudian Marxist and his patient, Jake Singer (the wonderful Chris Eigeman of the sophisticated Whit Stillman films), who is suffering from a general malaise in his life. Morales would practically bash Singer over the head with his outrageous, pompous and professionally inappropriate pronouncements that wound up goading Singer into action and breaking his psychological inertia. Unfortunately, most of these funny scenes never made it to the screen. Rather we can too many glimpses of Jake kanoodling with his new love interest, single mother, Allegra Marshall (Famke Janssen).

In addition, while Sir Ian is a marvelous actor, he just isn't right for the part. There are plenty of swarthy and macho Latino actors (Raul Julia would have been perfect) who could easily endow Morales with the hubris and gusto deserving of the therapist who takes no prisoners.

So many fun novels; so many dull movies.
August 6, 2009
There's nothing extraordinary about the film, but the ordinary feels almost perfected. No blips - just a well told story of coming to terms with one's shortcomings. Well placed and played, both Eigeman and Janssen played well and Holm was hilarious (without meaning to be so).
½ July 25, 2009
it's all about chris eigeman
July 10, 2009
Cute movie, but I was very disappointed by the ending.
July 4, 2009