Trees Lounge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trees Lounge Reviews

July 11, 2013
Really good indie film directed by Steve Buscemi
June 27, 2013
It's a quick 90 minutes - felt more like 60.
½ May 14, 2013
Trees Lounge proves that Steve Buscemi can be a great leading actor in a film. It's a shame that he's often only used in bit parts.
½ May 12, 2013
Decent. I know Buscemi directed and wrote this. Which I give him credit for. I'd like to see him do more of it. There is something poetic about this entire story. A lot of really cool cameos of young actors just getting their start. Steve Buscemi plays a barfly who fucked up his whole life. Kind of guy everyone has in their life. Then he meets a 17 year old girl who looks 14. And things get weird. Didn't expect that to happen. Yep. Interesting Concept. Solid Execution. Watch it.
½ May 8, 2013
I enjoyed movie. It's a great melodrama of a neighborhood bar and the people's story who go there
January 25, 2013
Realistic sleeper with way-above average acting by a whole host of solid support stars. Buscemi triumph.
½ January 7, 2013
I lost patience waiting for the story to develop into something interesting. The acting was okay, but a lot of the dialog was annoying and tiresome. I was expecting a little more from Buscemi. Can't recommend this film.
½ December 28, 2012
"So what. I mean everybody's fucked up. Nobody wants anyone to think they are, but everyone knows anyway"--Tommy (Steve Buscemi)

Trees Lounge is a unique sort of character study, in that it doesn't necessarily revolve around one specific theme, but instead focuses on a culmination of them, including alcoholism, loneliness, angst, and sets it in a believable world. Buscemi does a great job as both the lead actor, and as a director. I appreciated how the film incorporated the characters, and gave us relatable situations, while still maintaining a sense of humor, albeit a dark one. In that way the writing is strong, having an authentic feel for character dynamics. This is helped by the strong supporting cast, notable Chloe Sevigny, who plays a convincing adrift teenager, hopeless infatuated with the equally lost Buscemi.

I thought the story itself could have used more back-story, however. We never fully got an appreciation for why exactly Tommy ended up the way he did, and so we never relate to his character arc, or lack thereof, in as meaningful way as one would hope. The same can be said of the other story-lines as well. However, taken together, the story-lines do complement each other well. Ultimately, the film depicts its world well, we get a strong feel for the sort of hopelessness and confusion that pervades in it, while at the same time staying engaged with its enjoyable charm.

Overall, it's a strong, finely acted, indie drama, with some interesting things to say.

3.5/5 Stars
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ November 19, 2012
I don't remember this too well, but remember that I liked it.
½ November 15, 2012
Really solid little movie.
September 13, 2012
Fine performances with some good laughs and strong drama. We're not dealing with heroes here, we're dealing with life and Buscemi did a great job with the script and with his actors. The camerawork and editing were unobtrusive and served the story well.
½ August 27, 2012
good comedy about an alcoholic guy, but I found this a little too egocentric. I didnt appreciate Buscemi's perpetual underlining on himself, especially because he's definitely no hunk boy. The tavern reminded me a little of Boe Syzlak's tavern from "The Simpsons".
July 31, 2012
Slow moving, blackly humorous, character study set around one guy who continues to waste his life and the bar he frequents.
July 17, 2012
i enjoy that "trees lounge" ends with a tought/feeling for tommy, played by steve buscemi (who gives a decent performance), but building up to that moment it could have been a lot more interesting.
July 13, 2012
Good story of a confused guy who try to overcome his problems but is not that successful in it .
May 7, 2012
For those who have ever wished for J.D. Salinger's novel "The Catcher in the Rye" to be made into a film, then look no further. Ok, so this isn't actually the Catcher in the Rye, but this film's protagonist and story will keep that story in mind the whole time. If you're a fan of Independent films then you'll love this movie. If you're a fan of Steve Buscemi then you'll love this movie. There's really nothing wrong with it because overall, it's pretty solid.
½ April 12, 2012
Intelligent and humanistic, which in the lives of these people, is synonymous with depression and alcholism. I have a strong inclination that this film is a very accurate representation of addiction, and the alienation that comes along with it. It's subtle, and finds a perfect balance between pity and personal responsibility. I really loved this film.
½ April 11, 2012
Buscemi is amazingly good as an actor but also as a director. His character seems natural, like a simple mess up guy in the suburbs. Simple and complicated. I like it. Like a modern tale of what happens at a point in time at the Trees Lounges of the world. Not a must see, but nice and fun.
½ March 10, 2012
Doesn't really end, just kinda' stops, but maybe that's the way it had to be, and the trip along the way is great. It's an interesting character study with some very real performances, and a weird darkly comical charm.