Trick or Treat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trick or Treat Reviews

October 6, 2011
For people who enjoy heavy metal, comedy, some screams, and thrills, Trick or Treat is a must see. With appearences by Gene Simmon's and Ozzy Osbourne, not to mention the soundtrack, its no wonder this film has become a cult film.
½ July 31, 2011
Trick Or Treat is a marvelous 1980s horror/rock movie. Marc Price is very convincing as Eddie, the tormented metal-head. The bullying he goes through feels uncannily authentic, so at least the makers of the film have some idea of what high school is like instead throwing together a bunch of stereotypes and thinking that's what high school could possibly be like. The rock soundtrack by Fastway is also something to be proud of. The music is well selected and is definitely something a rocker like me would listen to. Tony Fields plays Sammi Curr, one of the best horror villains ever. He's a leather-clad rocker who's made out of electricity. He shoots lightning out of his guitar and can come out of any device that's playing his latest record backwards. This gets interesting when it is played backwards on the radio. Gene Simmons appears as Nuke, the radio DJ who gives Eddie Sammi Curr's last album. Ozzy Osbourne cameos as Rev. Aaron Gilstrom, a preacher speaking out against violence and obscenities in rock music (the irony is hilarious). The special effects and make-up effects are good, the plot never drags. I have heard that there is a 98 minute cut of the film on VHS, but I don't know if this is correct or not. All I do know is that the DVD release is pretty bad. It's full-screen only, no special features, and the box art is awful. To get it to sell, they say Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne are starring in it and stick their CURRENT PICTURES ON THE COVER. No, not the characters they play, their current pictures. On the back, half of the photos are behind-the-scenes (not that bad, though). I'd say the DVD is worth buying because of good picture quality and an all-out amazing movie.
½ July 22, 2011
All 1 1/2 stars are for the 80s cheesiness (enjoy it before it wears out its welcome) and for Gene Simmons and Ozzy--who are actually good for the 5 min they are on screen.
½ March 28, 2011
A fun and entertaining rock and roll ride. Not the greatest horror movie ever, but it doesn't disappoint. Plus, Ozzy's respectable role as the Rev. Gilstrom is outrageously worth it!
March 26, 2011
This horror movie was my most favorite of all in this category. i give it a big thumb's up! I also bought the soundtrack to it by Fastway.
½ March 19, 2011
Trick or Treat is one awesome flick. It's one of those movies that I totally relate to in almost every sense of the word. First off, I was one of those metal-loving, denim-wearing, poster-displaying kids throughout grade school. The movie got the whole vibe and feel of that down pat, especially in the main character of Eddie. The character was fully fleshed out here and I loved watching the guy go through all the insane shenanigans. I especially loved his vengeance reeked on the bullies. BOO YAH! The 80s was especially at an all time high with people bashing the metal music scene at the time and claiming it to be nothing but Satanism. This flick couldn't have come out at a better time! Charles Martin Smith kept the movie on such a stylish level. Crazy angles galore, insanely impressive art direction and incorporating songs into the scenes worked effortlessly. Marc Price did a very good job here as Eddie and flowed very naturally. Tony Dean Fields kept it to a minimum which was a wise choice for this role. He did have some over-the-top moments but for the most part, he worked. Lisa Orgolini does decent with what she has to do. The part wasn't that grand, anyway. Doug Savant played an asshole well. Man, did I want to punch him! He does well... Ozzy Osbourne shows up in an extremely small (why is he on the cover again?) but hilarious cameo as a priest against metal... I liked it. Elaine Joyce played a huge slut and died a great death... Glen Morgan was alright here but again, the character was poorly written... Gene Simmons actually did a great job here. I was surprised by him. The soundtrack (songs by Fastway and score by Christopher Young) were both very effective and complimented every scene that was accompanied by music. LOVED it. Gotta find the soundtrack... On the slim downside, the last act was a little underwhelming, considering the time that came before it. It maybe stretched on a little too much for its own good. I also must say that after the character of Sammy showcasing a great concert performance, he wasn't much of a threat to the leads. He was way too easily defeated and I had trouble believing that these kids should have been scared of him to begin with. The violence here was also maybe a bit too safe and conveniently placed (electrical deaths = no blood). Even with its flaws, I can't help but be won over by this film. It has an always affable 80s vibe, a great soundtrack, an easy pace and a rough charm I just can't shake. Another half a point raised for me on this one.
½ February 27, 2011
Totally cheesy but fun to watch.
½ January 24, 2011
A horror movie where the spirit of a dead heavy metal star is haunting teens! I loved it, it's a fun awesome heavy metal horror movie.
½ December 21, 2010
If you want a fun, nonsensicalness, teenage, heavy metal movie then this is the movie for you. Worth the watch but wouldn't bother watching it again.
½ November 29, 2010
Here is a movie that anti-rock folks could use to have their children stray away. The plot involves an unsympathetic teenager going through the stages of the tired high school life where stereotypes exist and separate itself from actual life. We get all that crap as teen outcast Eddie complains and moans about his problems while the lame writing kicks in. I didnā(TM)t care about this kid as I didnā(TM)t believe him at all. Anyways, he follows an idol named Sam Curry a shock rocker thatā(TM)s not appealing nor terrifying as Blackie Lawless, but his world is crushed when he learns Curry is dead from a fire. Nuke (Gene Simmons) says the best line about Curry as Curry began to believe in his own hype, something that hit Guns N Roses and NWA. The plot becomes dumber as it involves backward messaging and demon havoc thatā(TM)s not suspenseful and lousy. The music was pretty good and Ozzy Osbourne has comical cameo, but it was far from saving this film. I liked the supporting actor who plays Roger in the film. This is a film that does unnecessary division of people based on certain things and builds a wall were folks canā(TM)t seem to integrate or communicate. What a terrible movie, with an awful idea. It reminds me of the film Slaughter High another truly atrocious film.
½ November 4, 2010
Lol, found this movie by accident. They say it's a cult classic. Remember the guy from "The Hogan's" tv series, and "Teen Win, Lose, or Draw? Well he's the main character in this funny comedy horror. Lol if you like 80's Metal this is a good one. Ozzy and Gene play funny roles in this one also. But it was rather b rated.
½ November 1, 2010
A Halloween classic with metal music.
Ā”El heavy no es violencia!
½ October 28, 2010
love this movie, it blends horror with metal and it works great!
Sammi Curr is a rockstar that teen Eddie Weinbauer idolizes, but when Sammi dies in a hotel fire he talks to Eddie through an unreleased album when it is played backwards and tells him to kill the bullies that treat him like crap at school.
Eddie, who only wants to humiliate the bullies turns against his idol and causes trouble on Halloween night.
great movie for 80's metal and horror fans alike
October 27, 2010
This is easily one of the best halloween-ish movies of all time. Highly recommend for anyone who loves the season!
October 23, 2010
Ah, special head-banging memories of the 80's. Nothing like it.
Horror Movie Project
½ October 22, 2010
While looking over the VHS section at my local Goodwill I happened upon this little number, Trick or Treat from 1986. The movie boasts that it stars Ozzy Osborne and Gene Simmons where in truth they are only in the film for like 5 minutes combined. The story is hilarious, it is definitely an 80's movie that captures the horribly terrific hair metal of the time. I would say that this movie was worth the 99 cents I paid for it. Pure eighty's trash in all of its glory.

The first thing that I noticed is that this movie is distributed by Lorimar home video, the same company that released such hits as Family Matters, ThunderCats, Full House, and yes... Hangin' with Mr. Cooper. That alone made this a must watch right off the bat. The story is about a devil worshiping dead rock star, Sammi Curr, who perishes in a hotel fire. His number one fan gets his hands on a rare demo that Curr made and actually summons the rock star back from the dead to do his bidding over the radio waves. A pretty stupid storyline and pretty forgettable movie.

The soundtrack is provided by Fastway, a go nowhere band from the eighties. Go look them up if you want too, I think their biggest hit was Say What You Will from 1983. The movie doesn't star Ozzy or the Demon, it stars Marc Price from Family Ties, Doug Savant, Alice Nunn, and Tommy Fields (A Chorus Line and Solid Gold dancer) as Sammi Curr.

The movie is full of unintentional comedy. If you are in the mood for a crappy eighties movie then I suggest that you pull up a seat and get ready to laugh at this one with some of your friends. The special effects in this movie are passable, it gets the job done. The movie is just so stupid that it really overshadows anything that would be a good remark about it.

I am going to give Trick or Treat a 1 of 10. The movie has a fun laughable quality to it and that is about it. There is nothing here that would ever make me want to watch this again. Like I said though it was worth the 99 cents to add to my VHS collection. Watch it with some of your friends before you watch something like Slumber Party Massacre, they're in about the same league.

RAGMAN!!!

S!D
½ October 10, 2010
A rather entertaining piece of '80s horror fluff about a teen's quest for vengeance that goes horribly wrong. Simmons and Ozzy make cameos but the real rock star is Sammi Curr.
October 9, 2010
A fun 80s metal themed horror film. hhow can u go wrong with a horror movie with ozzy and gene
½ September 29, 2010
Being a genre film fan, a child of the 80's AND a fan of hard rock music...this movie holds a special place in my heart. It has everything you could want in a supernatural movie: action, great special effects (for 1986) and a guitar wailing glam- rock soundtrack. It certainly was THE movie for all the heavy metal fans at the time. I didn't see this at the cinema because it was never released theatrically over here...but it's popularity on video during the mid to late eighties secured it's cult status and eventually led to a (sadly, mediocre) DVD release in 2002. If you're not a fan of creepy movies or rock music then this probably isn't your cup of tea...but, trust me, there are worse films of this type out there...and, despite average acting and some outrageously ridiculous situations, Trick or Treat is most definitely a wailing riff above the usual horror fare. You'll never look at your stereo the same way again. Or should I say your iPod?
September 22, 2010
in my top 5 ever films...how could you not love this film espescialy if you liked metal as a teenager