The Triplets of Belleville Reviews

• May 10, 2018

Wonderful Change of pace...Absolutely delightful

Wonderful Change of pace...Absolutely delightful

• Apr 14, 2018

One of the best animated film I've ever seen. Sylvain Chomet is one of my favorite director of all time. A visual storytelling masterpiece without any dialogue. Loved the French humour.

• Apr 01, 2018

The directing, sound design and stylised art are all fantastically unique with amazing attention to detail, but with the drab colour palette, bizarre story and general lack of characters that make you feel for them, 'The Triplets of Belleville' ends up being a rather strange and incomplete experience. I found myself marvelling at the techniques used to portray the story rather than the story or characters themselves which meant that, for me, it was a fascinating, surreal and wonderfully creative film, but not moving in any way.

• Mar 29, 2018

I don't know how to describe the Triplets of Belleville except to say that it's one of my favorite movies of all time. After that I find it difficult to write phrases which adequately connect together all the adjectives like innovative, inventive, surreal and grotesque which jam my brain. Five Stars is my vote, fwiw.

• Sep 11, 2017

It's a quite strange tour-de-force of surrealism, bitter humour and satire on society. The director is very talented, it's a pity his works are a rare occurrence.

• Aug 28, 2017

Delightful and unique animated movie that plays as both a tribute to the golden age of cartoons & a breakthrough into new areas. The film is mostly silent, with a smattering of French here or there, but you really don't need to understand it. The plot is off-beat, about a elderly woman & her dog trying to rescue her cyclist grandson who's been kidnapped for...well, you just have to see it. Visually, the film is a fantastic mix of old-school animated techniques & modern CGI, merging in some gorgeous sequences, from a voyage across the Atlantic to the car chase through the streets of New York. And of course, the song the Triplets sing is instantly catchy. A great, unique animated film that is easily one of the best in the last decade or so.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jul 21, 2017

An inventive bit of 2D imagineering all about how a grandma cares for her grandchild. The ending is not as strong as the wonderful opening but it manages to sustain interest.

• May 30, 2017

Not afraid to look ugly, Sylvain Chomet's debut animated feature is quirky and weird and unpredictable - in other words, great! Highly stylized with its own look (not the homogenized animation we're now getting used to) that experiments with mixed media and unusual camera angles (among other directorial flourishes). The soundtrack, featuring 1920s era jazz plus classical plus diegetic effects (but no dialogue of any consequence) heightens your pleasure. The plot seems to involve the mafia kidnapping some Tour de France riders and the efforts of one's grandmother (and faithful dog) to track down and rescue him in a distant city called Belleville; they are aided by a trio of ancient jazz performers (the Triplets of the title). The result is funky and fresh and also very French. Highly recommended.

• Mar 24, 2017

3/23/2018 The exaggerated animation sets this film apart from its contemporaries. Mix it in with an interesting plot albeit lacking substantial dialogue and lovablle characters, this was exactly the formula for critical and audience success.

• Oct 08, 2016

I love Sylvain Chomet's style. This movie is certainly not for everyone, as it is incredibly odd in terms of visuals, story, and voice. If you like weird things, this is a fun watch.