Triumph of the Spirit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Triumph of the Spirit Reviews

December 28, 2014
Wow, I'm shocked by the reviews, I must had miss something. I really enjoyed this movie. The only reason I'm giving this a 4 and not 5 because of what the reviews are saying which make me feel like must had miss something. I see not one single 4. The highest was a 3 and a half. And Roger gave it an 1 star. I don't know. I enjoyed this movie and understood the message unlike some people. You know. I'm giving a 5. The hell with you people. It's the best holocaust movie but it's also a piece of garbage. Maybe I got to see it again. I don't know. A good movie in my eyes.
January 4, 2014
A very confusing film. The story does capture your attention, but it's so poorly structured and paced that you stop caring about halfway through it. Then again, Dafoe, Olmos, and Loggia give strong enough performances that you start caring again. Director Robert Young seems more interested in heaping more and more drama on top of an already tragic and terrifying story, and sometimes the punches hit a lot less strong. But in the end, the film has some moving pieces, and might keep you interested.
December 8, 2012
Harrowing portrayal of life in a Nazi concentration camp during WW2, based on a true story.

Interesting, engaging plot. Maybe doesn't explore the moral dilemmas of the main character thoroughly enough. Also, a bit more explanation of certain events would have been in order.

Great performance from WIllem Dafoe. Decent supporting cast.
½ November 24, 2012
Probably the first movie in which I'm seeing Willem Dafoe in a lead protagonist role. And regarding the movie, its pretty watchable and all of those jail sequences are pretty well portrayed.
August 29, 2012
Bad portrayal of the atrocities and hardships that took place back then. I lost interest about half way through. Only reason i gave it 2 stars was because it was actually filmed at Auschwitz. At least they got that right!
June 16, 2012
Would be 5 star if it was in english
June 4, 2012
Would be 5 star if it was in english
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
½ July 17, 2011
Another decent WWII story. Boxing actually plays very little into the plot.
January 5, 2011
Willem Dafoe fights the battle of his life as Salamo, a Greek Jew (and former champion boxer) who's incarcerated in Auschwitz by the Nazis and must defeat all comers in weekly boxing exhibitions. If he doesn't, he faces the gas chamber. Based on a true story. Also stars Robert Loggia as his father and Edward James Olmos as the gypsy who works for the Nazis.

Gypsy: Listen, I'm only going to say this once. For those who can hear me tell the rest. First come the SS, our lord and masters. Then comes our block health manager, Kyr. Then come the assistants, Otto and me. Then come the rats. Then come the lice... and then come you.
December 22, 2010
A poorly written and executed film, based on a heartbreaking, harrowing tale, is still a poorly written and executed film. The boxing scenes are actually this bomb's saving grace. Aside from that, "Triumph" is a term that's about as far from proplerly describing this as possible. Considering the powerful nature of the story, that seems hard to believe, but, behold! Here's the first film of which I am aware that does a total disservice to the plight of Jewish people during the Holocaust. Bad production values, and trite portrayals of both Germans and Jews make this move uninteresting.
flixsterman
½ November 27, 2010
A good screenplay that seems bogged down by bad casting. Dafoe is exceptional but most of the rest seem oddly out of place. This should have been and could have been so much better.
½ July 25, 2010
Esta cinta aparece en los anales de la historia del cine por ser la primera en filmarse en AUschwitz. Cuenta la historia verdadera de Salamo Arouch (Willem Dafoe), un boxeador judio que sobrevive a los campos de concentracion ganando mas de 200 peleas arregladas por los soldados nazis. Hasta ahi, la cinta promerte mucho, pero el director Robert Young decide convertirla en un melodrama exagerado (con todo y musica de superacion) que la hace casi imposible de soportar y que insulta el sufrimiento judio a partir de los cliches de Hollywood.
½ July 15, 2010
intriguing about the greek aspect of the holocaust, although jews of any national persuasion were victimized.
i thought the story was too staid and melodramatic and the cast was a bit too eclectic dafoe, loggia, olmos; come on now.
½ June 6, 2010
True story of a former jewish boxer who gets sent to Auschwitz during WWII. He ends up fighting for his life, because if he loses one match, the Germans will have no use for him anymore. Pretty good WWII movie, shows the horrors of Auschwitz.
June 5, 2010
Quite typical concentration camp movie but still touching.
March 18, 2010
Ihan katottava Natsileffa. Ei mikään erikoinen.
Suomeksi nimi on Tahdon Voitto
½ January 16, 2010
This one is boring and not really worth watching. The acting is average with sloppy dialogue. The story although based on a real story is badly portrayed. William is the only reason I watched because I like him but it's not up to his standards. If you see this one skip it.