Trog Reviews

• Sep 17, 2015

I think we should clarify the history of man's origins. A distant cave in the countryside is discovered to have depths no one has investigated before. A new life form is discovered that is very violent. An anthropologist works well with the animal/creature and begins teaching it methods of communication. One day it flies off the deep end and puts the anthropologist's efforts at risk. "What I described is the lifecycle of Trog." Freddie Francis, director of Dracula has Risen from the Grave, Tales from the Crypt, The Creeping Flesh, Son of Dracula, The Ghoul, and Legend of the Werewolf delivers Trog. The storyline for this picture was just okay but worth following. The special effects were very average and the acting was just okay. The cast includes Joan Crawford, Michael Gough, and Bernard Kay. "I can always use a trained assistant." I randomly came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it since it starred the legendary Joan Crawford. The plot for this movie was below par, and the acting was just okay, but it was cool seeing Crawford in this type of picture. This is nothing special as an addition to the horror genre but worth watching for fans of the genre and this era. "I'm afraid it's a dead cave." Grade: C-

• Aug 12, 2015

Okay, first off, this is really a zero star film. It's truly an embarrassment and just awful, but on a camp level, this film is wildly entertaining for all of the wrong reasons. In her final film appearance, Joan Crawford plays a scientist who discovers an unfrozen caveman (which is actually a man wearing a leftover mask from Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey." The caveman, named Trog, escapes and then wreaks havoc and scares everyone around him. Star Crawford was also on the board of Pepsi at this time and as she did in all of her films of that period, she insisted on Pepsi being prominently featured in the film, so you get some awkward Pepsi product placement during some of Trog's rampages. My personal favorite Trog moment was when he was soothed by classical music, but then became very angry when Crawford plays "rock and roll" music. Directed by Freddie Francis, who did some decent low budget horror pictures for Hammer reached a real low for this film in terms of quality, though I think it may have been more a result of the maker budget than a lack of talent. Francis actually spend most of his later career as a director of photography on some real classics like "Glory," "Blue Velvet" and "Cape Fear." And you also get Michael Gough (who was Alfred in the Tim Burton Batman films) as Joan's anti-missing link antagonist in the film.

• Aug 11, 2015

Oh dear God, make it stop. Joan, just walk away. Walk. Oh, that's the last scene.

• Aug 11, 2015

This is bad all around, and no amount of Joan Crawford can help. Besides being dated and out of control campy, it's not even fun camp. Just a waste of talent and time.

• Jun 03, 2015

The only reason to watch this movie is that Joan Crawford spends most of her time interacting with a guy in an ape mask -- not even a full costume -- and the whole time she's doing it totally straight.

• Apr 04, 2015

It's so bad that it's good. #guiltypleasures

It's so bad that it's good. #guiltypleasures

• Oct 18, 2014

Of interest mainly to inspire one to wonder how a major star like Joan Crawford ever wound up in a movie like this. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane had class but this is strictly low rent material.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Feb 01, 2014

The good: the ultra professionalism of Joan Crawford even in dreck like this and some pretty views of the English countryside and a small village. The bad:everything else in this terrible movie.

• Apr 21, 2013

While not a classic by any stretch of the imagination, Trog is still a damned fine little monster movie and stands proudly as one of the best bad flicks you will ever see!

• May 13, 2012