Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad) Reviews

• 6d ago

Mostra a realidade com precisão, tanto o lado dos policiais quanto do lado dos bandidos!

• Mar 08, 2019

O filme te oferece um ponto de vista diferente, mas deixando bem próximo da realidade.

• Mar 01, 2019

Brazilian action film with that gritty hand-held camera feel, very rough around the edges. We follow members of the BOPE (Elite Squad), a special section of the police who deal with the hardest problems, particularly drug dealers in the slums. The film makes Rio look like a hell hole. Most of the cops are corrupt but those in the BOPE are supposed to be morally purer, more dedicated to eliminating crime and less willing to take bribes or require security money from the poor. However, this doesnâ(TM)t mean that they donâ(TM)t indiscriminately assassinate and torture those who they see breaking the law â" they do. It is hard to tell whether our narrator (there is a constant voiceover presence here by Wagner Moura) is reliable or not. He seems to be on the side of good, but the movie shows how he selects two recruits for BOPE (Caio Junqueira and Andrà (C) Ramiro) and then fashions them into tough guys who donâ(TM)t hold back when there is an opportunity to bring some brutality to the bad guys. Rich progressive kids working for NGOs ultimately get short shrift from them. Moreover, our narrator knows he can finally retire when one of his protegees offs a baddie without trial. The problem for me is that it is hard to tell where the filmmakers stand on this (the screenplay is apparently by some ex-BOPE squad members). Do they really advocate killing those dealing in pot? The amoral nature of the action reminds me of other violent films (where the violence itself seems to be what is meant to attract the audience) such as The Raid: Redemption (2011). Still, this could be the actual reality in Rio/Brazil â" and if so, thatâ(TM)s pretty scary.

• Jan 02, 2019

This film fails to give any decent character growth or caring for that and can’t decide what it wants to be. In the end, I stopped caring

• Sep 02, 2018

Tomatoes doesn't understand Brazil.

Tomatoes doesn't understand Brazil.

• Jul 16, 2018

The worst movie I ever saw. It embraces fascist ideas of killing poors with the pretext of being helpful to society. A ridicolous ode to the police massacres, where the axis of the discussion it's constantly taken out of place, blaming civilians, ignoring social schemes and history, avoiding to judge the real root of the problem. It's almost like a religious indoctrination, and people seems to love it.

• Jun 23, 2018

The version I have does not feature a voice over, just subtitles. Perhaps that's the difference between the US and UK version.

• May 15, 2018

I feel like those who think it's gratuitous violence don't realize that this is barely fiction and that's why it is such a tremendously interesting and shocking movie.

• Apr 20, 2018

2286/5000 "Tropa de Elite", the purest and crude record of Brazilian society, hypocrisy, profit, partiality and innocence, where policemen mistreat "innocents" to arrest bandits, and rich people finance crime and indirectly kill police with a pacifist speech. A script that talks about traffic, crime and favela by a different angle, the angle of the police, more specifically the BOPE, a special regiment of the military police, who tells us the story is Captain Nascimento, who mixes with the story of Mathias and Neto, young honest police officers who seek to fight organized crime, the elite troop script is accurate, but not perfect, it has many parallel plots that end up not being deepened, but it has a great construction of characters besides being brutally honest , even sometimes abusing scenes and phrases of effect - which eventually made the movie explode on its release. The morale of "Elite Troop" is that we are all wrong, there is no cure or a solution, no matter the side, any action taken ends up being harmful to someone, and often, to someone you want to help, before exploding the fashion of polarization in Brazil, the Padilha film already discussed concepts that are now completely disturbed, José Padilha directs using techniques of Martin Scorsese, sometimes even better than the American director himself, with scenes of incredible shootings and absurdly verisimilitude, German of a camera use without tripe magnifico, not to mention the great narrations in off that serve as a perfect support for the script, not to mention the precise and striking soundtrack, which reflects in an accurate way what is the long. The film is also very well acted, with main highlights for Wagner Moura and Fernanda Machado, besides the sober and mature performance of Andre Ramiro. Tropa de Elite is the movie that opens Jose Padilha to the world, the good and competent director is released to the Holywoodian market, where he ends up not doing well, but ends up finding his talent again when directing series for netflix. "Tropa De Elite" is not perfect, but it is a film that exposes much of Brazilian culture to the world, not only negatively, precisely because of this, "Tropa De Elite" is difficult to be seen by foreigners because the film is very, very Brazilian.

• Apr 10, 2018

i think the tomatometer on this movie is yet another case of critics not knowing what they're talking about and deciding they don't like something a quarter way in. this movie is great