Tropic Thunder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tropic Thunder Reviews

August 11, 2016
They don't make movies this funny anymore
DrStrangeblog
July 30, 2016
"Everybody knows you never go full retard."

The more I see Ben Stiller, the more I realize he usually plays the same way in every comedy and there's definitely diminishing returns. Basically he's playing 'Zoolander: Soldier Of Fortune' which is how unbelievably dense this character is. If you want to see how you can vary your comedy persona, look no further than co-star Robert Downey Jr who is flat-out hilarious with every line he speaks as an Australian 5-time Oscar winner known for extreme method acting, in this case undergoing controversial pigment-alteration therapy so he could play a black soldier in a fact-based war movie! His performance alone makes this worth watching, because without him there's a steep decline. Jack Black is a funny guy, but he's not funny here. Danny McBride can be funny but he doesn't have a very big role (which in truth is the best way to use Danny McBride). Only Tom Cruise - yes, Tom Cruise! - approaches the same level of hilarity as a balding, heavyset , ill-tempered movie producer with incredibly hairy arms. The sharpest comedian of them all is Steve Coogan who exits early, but not before he gives the best fatal motivational speech since Samuel L Jackson in "Deep Blue Sea".
½ July 29, 2016
There are a good of funny parts. ok movie overall.
July 25, 2016
Les Grossman only good thing about this movie. Mindless.
July 20, 2016
Tropic Thunder (2008) C-106m. ?? 1/2 D: Ben Stiller. Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Jay Baruchel, Nick Nolte, Steve Coogan, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Cruise. Disappointing big-budget war-film parody about several actual Vietnam war veterans who return to Vietnam to film a Hollywood picture . . . but nothing goes quite right, mostly since Downey (playing an outrageous black soldier) never goes out of character. A terrific comedy premise has some laughs and an absolutely on-target performance by Downey . . . but the parts are greater than the whole, and the film goes on too long (particularly Unrated version, which runs two hours). Stiller can be amusing at spots, but Black is given so little to do; opens with four hilarious mock trailers which are by far the best thing about this movie. Recommended for people who really get a kick out of these actors, or if you've ever wanted to see Tom Cruise bust a move. A mixed bag overall.
July 19, 2016
Great movie! It really was! I love the story, the creativity, and I love all the actors in it! 4 stars!
July 18, 2016
Take away RDJ and you have a mediocre but clever comedy with good commentary and a star-studded cast. Put him in... and you've got a truly special experience.
½ July 17, 2016
Pretty entertaining, but lags in a lot of areas. Picking up the supposed prop head though is a classic.
½ July 12, 2016
A pretty bad movie. Not very funny either.
½ July 12, 2016
Tropic Thunder is more than just comedy. It is a movie about making movies and the hardships the characters have to go through to finish it.
July 12, 2016
This movie has a pretty great cast and dosent fail to deliver. Best part of the movie is hands down Tom Cruises character.
July 6, 2016
One of the most quotable films of all time.
June 30, 2016
uma comédia muito show rdj bs jb muito bom ...
June 27, 2016
Tropic Thunder follows five actors making a film based on a book of the same name by Four Leaf Tayback (Nick Nolte).  The only problem is Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller) has become a little too primadonna and the film is a month behind schedule five days into shooting.  Tayback decides the best way to get this movie made is to drop them in the middle of the hostile jungle.  This is where the men get caught up in a heroin ring.  This movie was funny yes.  It was pretty entertaining too.  You might not believe this but the best part of this flick was not Stiller, Black or Downey Jr.  Sure Stiller was quirky as always and Black was ridiculous as always.  And Downey Jr. was funny as an Aussie pretending to be black for most of the film.  You've seen his funniest moments as they appear in the trailer.  Problem was he was so over the top (intentionally of course) that he was hard to understand some of the time.  (Though my favorite line of his was "We all gay sometimes.")  The stars of this film were the little people (and by that I mean minor characters).  While this film pulled in some notable cameos from Tobey Maguire, Christine Taylor, Lance Bass, Mickey Rooney and even Jon Voight, I'm not talking about these guys either.  I mean people like Danny McBride as the explosions obsessed stunt coordinator.  Or Steve Coogan the limey director who doesn't care for land mines.  Even Matthew McConaughey as Tuggernuts's undoubtedly loyal agent.  But the winner by far (though it pains me to say this) is nigh unrecognizable Tom Cruise as Les Grossman (the guy who's funding the picture).  Grossman truly lives up to his name oozing hair from everywhere.  He has a penchant for hip hop from Flo Rida to Ludacris and continually threatens people's nuts.  It's brilliant.  Just brilliant.  I do like when Downey Jr. gets back to his blue eyed Aussie hotness.  Yum. I say yes watch Tropic Thunder.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.
½ June 23, 2016
The movie was slow to pick up, but once it did, it was pretty fun to watch. Robert Downy Jr did his job pretty well. Tom Cruise in a very unconventional role.
jamrcla
½ June 22, 2016
A Really funny action packed film easily Jack Blacks best film, All the cast did an amazing job but for me Tom Cruise's scenes made me give it 4 1/2 stars, I can't believe it took me this long to see it.
½ June 19, 2016
TROPIC THUNDER offers a layered script and hilarious performances from a talented comedic cast.
½ June 16, 2016
1. Tom Cruise 2. RD Jr. 3. Ben Stiller. One of my fav. comedies. 9/10.
½ June 14, 2016
Tropic Thunder
You know it's a good movie where you get to see great actors trying their best to nail their worst acting