Trouble Along the Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trouble Along the Way Reviews

October 5, 2015
Officially have seen James Dean's whole filmography. Wayne is so good. The kid is good, too. Donna Reed is a hateful villain. I'm not sure about that ending.
½ June 9, 2015
A film to show ignorant people who claim the Duke couldn't act, up against a talented child actress Sherry Jackson, Oscar winner Donna Reed and the charming Charles Coburn. The story revolves around a fathers fight to keep his child and save a college.
January 25, 2014
Sentimental John Wayne vehicle about him as a divorced father and disgraced football coach trying to keep custody of his young daughter from his snooty ex-wife, Marie Windsor, by getting a job coaching football at a small Catholic High School. Donna Reed plays the caseworker/love interest. The great Michael Curtiz directed this lightweight, but entertaining comedy/drama. Wayne is likable as a father trying to raise his daughter and Reed is winning as the caseworker worried about the girl's upbringing by macho Wayne. Marie Windsor is delicious as the evil high society ex-wife. I'd never heard of this film before, but it's a John Wayne vehicle that's well worth watching and shows that The Duke actually had some acting range beyond playing the same cowboy/war hero over and over again.
September 18, 2013
Great movie. It dealt with subject matters not often discussed in 1953. You had divorce, a custody battle, pay for college athletes, and cheating. Loved the chemistry between John Wayne and his on screen daughter Sherry Jackson. Donna Reed was great as a social worker and her scene with Miss Jackson at the party was touching.
October 8, 2012
The Duke in perhaps his most tender role, rough in parts but loving chemistry between Wayne and his female counterparts. Highly underrated, a real gem!
August 1, 2012
pairing number 2 of reed/wayne they have good chemistry maybe 'cos they're both from iowa.
December 20, 2011
Trouble Along the Way is a heart-warming film. It is about a disgraced football coach trying to retain custody of his daughter who finds a job at a Catholic college. John Wayne and Donna Reed give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Trouble Along the Way is a must see.
½ November 19, 2011
John Wayne is a more atypical role, a comedy and as a father. Underrated gem.
Sherry Jackson is stellar in a supporting role as his daughter.
½ November 12, 2011
John Wayne is a more atypical role, a comedy and as a father. Underrated gem.
½ June 15, 2011
Better than expected, considering how much of it is predictable and sentimental. Still, everyone is charming and there is a darker undercurrent at work in the last third. Also, the ending isn't really that happy.
½ June 1, 2011
John Wayne very nicely plays a fictional college athletics instructor who is recently divorced and is having trouble finding a job due to his inability to deal with authority, and stands to lose custody of his little girl if he doesn't fine (and keep) a job. He is eventually hired by a priest at a Catholic University having faith he can pull together a winning season. Working with the team he begins to soften and become a better man. Enter into all of this a lovely social worker who gets involved in he and his daughter's life. This is a softer side of Wayne and it's a nice one.
½ March 21, 2011
Surprise surprise... John Wayne NOT playing a cowboy or in a war film. Instead, he teams up with Donna Reed, playing a football coach, trying to save a small college from financial woes. Neat story line, great acting from the entire cast, and really fun to see Wayne in sort of a non-macho role as a single father of a young girl.
August 29, 2010
Very nice heart warming drama sport film with John Wayne. This is my first time I watched the 50s college football ever put on the screen. Wayne and Donna Reed have good chemistry. But Wayne's scenes with little Sherry Jackson are something special.
deano
August 29, 2010
½ May 19, 2010
Donna Reed is one of my all-time favorites, so 2 stars right off the bat. The story is decent, despite the standard formula, but the dialogue is actually quite amusing. This is definitely a candidate for a modern remake.
May 18, 2010
One of my Favorite John Wayne movies.
April 1, 2009
This was pretty good.
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
½ January 29, 2009
Blah. I don't like John Wayne, and this movie did nothing to change my opinion.