Troy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Troy Reviews

½ August 12, 2016
Pitt delivers an excellent performance, keeping the viewer interested throughout the movie. The historic aspect along with the right amount of Hollywood touches makes for a great film.
August 7, 2016
One of the best action films ever made, worth a watch with excellent acting from Brad Pitt and Eric Bana.
½ July 21, 2016
Directors cut only. Don't let the Hollywood elites ruin what could have been an even greater experience for you.
July 21, 2016
Wolfgang Petersen's violent and large-scale adaptation of Homer's, The Iliad, is an entertaining piece of sword-and-sandals popcorn entertainment with an A-list cast, fantastic production values, and amazing fight choreography that will certainly astonish. The film chronicles the Greek assault against the Trojans holed up in the massive city of Troy; as we follow Greece's mightiest warrior, Achilles, played with god-like conviction from Brad Pitt who trained for six months to get the ideal body figure. Also starring is Brian Cox as the ruthless leader, Agamemnon, and Eric Bana as Troy's deadliest fighter, Hector, whose one-on-one battle with Achilles near the end of the film is one of the all-time best sword fights I've ever seen, with the two actors performing their own stunts and choreography. Rounding out the cast; Orlando Bloom and Diane Kruger star as Paris and Helen Of Sparta (eventually Troy) who are secretly having an affair and after eloping together, her vengeful husband, Menelaus, seeks to reclaim her and take down the Trojans for their betrayal. The film isn't entirely accurate in its adaptation of the epic Homer poem, nor actual history, and certain events and fates of characters don't line up, but you can forgive all that as this is clearly a condensed version of what took place. It's a bloody, epic, and highly enjoyable war film that succeeds largely thanks to the solid casting and big-budget thrills and for me, the nearly 3-hour runtime flew by!
July 17, 2016
A phenomenal movie with incredible action scenes, as well as moments that tug on the strings of our hearts. Brad Pitt does great in the lead role... a welcome change for 2004. This movie will have even more impact for those that don't know the backstory.
I would be more inclined to believe the 73% of audience that liked it vs the subpar 54% approval rating given by the "critics".
July 5, 2016
was nice effects in a classic movie. could have picked a better lead actor in my opinion...
July 5, 2016
Did not really catch my attention, but overall it was a decent movie.
July 5, 2016
Amazing film that every Man will love, constant action and great acting
July 5, 2016
Legendary film, awesome battle scenes, and a fantastic piece of acting from pitt
Amazing fight scenes! Best brad Pitt movie ever
July 5, 2016
Forget what happened in the theater. The Director's Cut, like the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven-- is a great deal better.
Achilles made this movie
May 24, 2016
A few cool scenes and the occasional fine performance cannot save this cliché-addled mess. Nearly everything about this movie is wrong.
May 11, 2016
I judge movies by my desire to see them over and over again. Troy is one of those movies. The reason I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars is because it ignored the Gods role in the story told in the Iliad.
½ May 8, 2016
Fine war scenes and cinematography, but no one to root for.
April 26, 2016
Re-watched it recently (directors cut). Damd good movie, but I still hate the ending.
April 24, 2016
Wolfgang Peterson's tastes for deep and powerful stories resonates through the epic adventure 'Troy'. It is a loose adaptation of some of Greek literature's most historical poems (as it seems to be based on Homer's Iliad, and the Aenied from Virgil), brought with flair and a rather beautiful sense of artistic license.

A star studded cast fill every scene of this movie. Most notably in my opinion is Brian Cox as Agamemnon, a man driven by his own nepotism towards his brother, and his desire to conquer. Brad Pitt and Eric Bana, both in their physical prime, portray Achilles of Greece and Hector of Troy respectively and create an excellent dichotomy between their rivalry.

Despite Troy's departure from its poetic origins, it's main theme is one of immortality. Right from the beginning there is a wonderful little quote between Achilles and a servant boy who is sent to summon the warrior to battle on bequest of Agamemnon. The boy expresses his fear of battling the great warrior awaiting Achilles, and he looks down on the boy from horse-top; "That is why no one will remember your name." Achilles only dream is to be remembered beyond his years as the greatest warrior in Greece. To die in battle is the only honor a soldier could receive in those day, and was fully expected of them, however only the truly exceptional, or the truly powerful, will be remembered for millennia. The love of the Greek people is what causes the main rivalry between Achilles and Agamemnon, as both are striving to be remembered for eon's after they are gone. It's a beautiful idea, and a constant drive for both characters.

Overall, there are a lot of critics who deride this film for its departures from its literary origin. But I believe, just from a cinematic viewpoint that it is an exceptional tale. Perhaps this film will even aspire a few viewers to go out and read Homer's works. It is a fair estimate that most viewers will watch this film simply for the adventure, and that is where this movie excels.

3/5
½ April 12, 2016
Diane Kruger's boobs are one of the few reasons why I like this one!
½ April 12, 2016
As a costuming snob, I'll admit my biggest gripe with this film is that none of the armor is real (its all plastic). Its all star cast delivers, though none of the characters are particularly likable. As a highlight, it does have one of the best choreographed sword fights in cinema history.
March 15, 2016