Troy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Troy Reviews

July 5, 2016
Amazing film that every Man will love, constant action and great acting
July 5, 2016
Legendary film, awesome battle scenes, and a fantastic piece of acting from pitt
Amazing fight scenes! Best brad Pitt movie ever
July 5, 2016
Forget what happened in the theater. The Director's Cut, like the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven-- is a great deal better.
Achilles made this movie
May 24, 2016
A few cool scenes and the occasional fine performance cannot save this cliché-addled mess. Nearly everything about this movie is wrong.
May 11, 2016
I judge movies by my desire to see them over and over again. Troy is one of those movies. The reason I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars is because it ignored the Gods role in the story told in the Iliad.
½ May 8, 2016
Fine war scenes and cinematography, but no one to root for.
April 26, 2016
Re-watched it recently (directors cut). Damd good movie, but I still hate the ending.
April 24, 2016
Wolfgang Peterson's tastes for deep and powerful stories resonates through the epic adventure 'Troy'. It is a loose adaptation of some of Greek literature's most historical poems (as it seems to be based on Homer's Iliad, and the Aenied from Virgil), brought with flair and a rather beautiful sense of artistic license.

A star studded cast fill every scene of this movie. Most notably in my opinion is Brian Cox as Agamemnon, a man driven by his own nepotism towards his brother, and his desire to conquer. Brad Pitt and Eric Bana, both in their physical prime, portray Achilles of Greece and Hector of Troy respectively and create an excellent dichotomy between their rivalry.

Despite Troy's departure from its poetic origins, it's main theme is one of immortality. Right from the beginning there is a wonderful little quote between Achilles and a servant boy who is sent to summon the warrior to battle on bequest of Agamemnon. The boy expresses his fear of battling the great warrior awaiting Achilles, and he looks down on the boy from horse-top; "That is why no one will remember your name." Achilles only dream is to be remembered beyond his years as the greatest warrior in Greece. To die in battle is the only honor a soldier could receive in those day, and was fully expected of them, however only the truly exceptional, or the truly powerful, will be remembered for millennia. The love of the Greek people is what causes the main rivalry between Achilles and Agamemnon, as both are striving to be remembered for eon's after they are gone. It's a beautiful idea, and a constant drive for both characters.

Overall, there are a lot of critics who deride this film for its departures from its literary origin. But I believe, just from a cinematic viewpoint that it is an exceptional tale. Perhaps this film will even aspire a few viewers to go out and read Homer's works. It is a fair estimate that most viewers will watch this film simply for the adventure, and that is where this movie excels.

3/5
½ April 12, 2016
Diane Kruger's boobs are one of the few reasons why I like this one!
½ April 12, 2016
As a costuming snob, I'll admit my biggest gripe with this film is that none of the armor is real (its all plastic). Its all star cast delivers, though none of the characters are particularly likable. As a highlight, it does have one of the best choreographed sword fights in cinema history.
March 15, 2016
gr8 cast are the fuel that makes this go
½ March 14, 2016
Nothing interesting here.
March 5, 2016
Without a doubt the best portrayal of the characters in the book I've ever seen. While the characters are unlikable, that is more the fault of Homer than anyone in the movie. Paris is supposed to be a spoiled rich sissy who ends up pissing off Sparta because he took what wasn't his. Achilles was an arrogant but skilled fighter that used Agamemnon's need for his skill to spoil himself with women and drink. I could name each character, but you get the point. They pull off the characters amazingly well. The only real drawback to the movie is the rest of it, any historical accuracy is thrown out the window(the source material begins 10 years into the siege of Troy), the fight scenes, while nice, are overdone and far too well choreographed. They look more like dances than actual fighting. Take out the overdone and unbelievable fighting and put in the visceral, chaotic, and violent combat(and take everyone out of those fancy leather dresses they call armor), show just how long and exhausting the siege of Troy was, and put in the more chaotic fight scenes from Gladiator and you've got a 5 star film.

Also, ignore the critics who talk about the plot or characters, they have clearly never read the Iliad, because the acting is spot on.
Kal X. Attenborough
½ February 26, 2016
I wasn't keen on reviewing Troy originally, but long story short it was on the Space channel over five times this weekend and I ended up giving up my grudges against this film and sitting through it once or twice because there was nothing else to do and I wasn't motivated enough to climb the flight of stairs to my Blu-Ray collection so here goes.

Troy cashes in as a large-scale film mainly because of it's keen casting choices which included Diane Kruger, Brad Pitt, and snagging two of the Fellowship alumni from Lord of the Rings in the form of Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom who directed a lot of hype towards this film, but surprisingly it wasn't as lackluster as I remember it being the last time I watched it back in 2009.

Much like the previous Helen of Troy miniseries which came out a year prior, Troy tells a slightly different version of the tale of the union between Helen and Paris and how it caused the fall of the ancient city of Troy. However, unlike the miniseries which is vastly different in terms of story and character personalities, Troy focuses more on the characters and their choice rather than being centred on the events themselves which led up to the Sacking of Troy.

The more human-centred approach works well with the different spectrums of versatility the main cast brings to the table, but all things aside the film itself is decently acted most of the way through and the chemistry between Bloom's Paris and Kruger's Helen is evident, as is the platonic relationship between Pitt's Achilles and Bean's Odysseus with Bean giving the film a more world-weary approach which somewhat balances the romance between Helen and Paris although the two lovers and Odysseus barely cross paths within the film itself.

The film itself isn't on the same caliber as the opus of Lord of the Rings, or even a few other films based in Ancient times, but it holds up more proficiently than most people give it credit for, and for that I will say that in most ways, it's an okay film. Just not watched five times in a row.
February 14, 2016
Visto che stiamo parlando della guerra più famosa del mondo antico, mi sarei aspettato un film più epico.

Bene Pitt nei panni di Achille, un po' meno Bana in quelli di Ettore.
January 31, 2016
few cool action sequences aside, a messy retelling of a classic
jamrcla
½ January 28, 2016
Brilliant film and great battle scenes, Well acted, Keeps us entertained from start to finish a must watch for any swords and sandals fan.
½ January 3, 2016
It was OK expected much more.