Troy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Troy Reviews

½ March 14, 2016
Nothing interesting here.
March 5, 2016
Without a doubt the best portrayal of the characters in the book I've ever seen. While the characters are unlikable, that is more the fault of Homer than anyone in the movie. Paris is supposed to be a spoiled rich sissy who ends up pissing off Sparta because he took what wasn't his. Achilles was an arrogant but skilled fighter that used Agamemnon's need for his skill to spoil himself with women and drink. I could name each character, but you get the point. They pull off the characters amazingly well. The only real drawback to the movie is the rest of it, any historical accuracy is thrown out the window(the source material begins 10 years into the siege of Troy), the fight scenes, while nice, are overdone and far too well choreographed. They look more like dances than actual fighting. Take out the overdone and unbelievable fighting and put in the visceral, chaotic, and violent combat(and take everyone out of those fancy leather dresses they call armor), show just how long and exhausting the siege of Troy was, and put in the more chaotic fight scenes from Gladiator and you've got a 5 star film.

Also, ignore the critics who talk about the plot or characters, they have clearly never read the Iliad, because the acting is spot on.
Kal X. Attenborough
½ February 26, 2016
I wasn't keen on reviewing Troy originally, but long story short it was on the Space channel over five times this weekend and I ended up giving up my grudges against this film and sitting through it once or twice because there was nothing else to do and I wasn't motivated enough to climb the flight of stairs to my Blu-Ray collection so here goes.

Troy cashes in as a large-scale film mainly because of it's keen casting choices which included Diane Kruger, Brad Pitt, and snagging two of the Fellowship alumni from Lord of the Rings in the form of Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom who directed a lot of hype towards this film, but surprisingly it wasn't as lackluster as I remember it being the last time I watched it back in 2009.

Much like the previous Helen of Troy miniseries which came out a year prior, Troy tells a slightly different version of the tale of the union between Helen and Paris and how it caused the fall of the ancient city of Troy. However, unlike the miniseries which is vastly different in terms of story and character personalities, Troy focuses more on the characters and their choice rather than being centred on the events themselves which led up to the Sacking of Troy.

The more human-centred approach works well with the different spectrums of versatility the main cast brings to the table, but all things aside the film itself is decently acted most of the way through and the chemistry between Bloom's Paris and Kruger's Helen is evident, as is the platonic relationship between Pitt's Achilles and Bean's Odysseus with Bean giving the film a more world-weary approach which somewhat balances the romance between Helen and Paris although the two lovers and Odysseus barely cross paths within the film itself.

The film itself isn't on the same caliber as the opus of Lord of the Rings, or even a few other films based in Ancient times, but it holds up more proficiently than most people give it credit for, and for that I will say that in most ways, it's an okay film. Just not watched five times in a row.
February 14, 2016
Visto che stiamo parlando della guerra pi¨ famosa del mondo antico, mi sarei aspettato un film pi¨ epico.

Bene Pitt nei panni di Achille, un po' meno Bana in quelli di Ettore.
January 31, 2016
few cool action sequences aside, a messy retelling of a classic
jamrcla
½ January 28, 2016
Brilliant film and great battle scenes, Well acted, Keeps us entertained from start to finish a must watch for any swords and sandals fan.
½ January 3, 2016
It was OK expected much more.
December 23, 2015
A serviceable piece of recent hollywood's attempt to revive the epic film, Troy provides cheap entertainment and exhilarating battle scenes. Boasting excellent costumes and set design and actors who are perhaps too comfortable in their overdone roles, this film makes its money with melodrama and action mixed with dramatic Greeks characteristics. A dramatisisation of The Iliad, though, for all its flash, lacking its epic scale, Troy is entertaining but nothing more.
December 22, 2015
Why the blonde & blue-eyed casts? Very un-authentic feel. Wasn't Iliad set in ancient Greece thousands of years ago?
December 22, 2015
A competent historical action film that retains enough story and refuses just enough ridiculous to warrant viewing. All of the main players are cast perfectly and deliver their lines well, the camera work is competent and this particular version of such a well known tale offers enough novelty.
½ December 15, 2015
90%
Sweeping battle scenes like this without excessive CGI and all human extras have disappeared from Hollywood and it's exactly why Troy is one of the very best and last epic films with realistic action. Who says it's not emotionally resonant? With acting as great as this and a story better than Iliad from which it's adapted, Troy is memorable.
November 27, 2015
"All my life I've lived by a code and the code is simple: honor the gods, love your woman and defend your country. Troy is mother to us all. Fight for her!"

I love #Hector # Troy
November 22, 2015
Truly great but directors cut is better
September 20, 2015
This is an epic, and it fulfills exactly what you would want from an epic.
September 7, 2015
Decently acted, visually splendid but ultimately lacking in the entertainment, screenplay(and unbearable lenght) department, Troy is a so-so epic film thay will put your patience and time to the test.
½ August 29, 2015
Excellent battle scenes but the adaptation is flawed.
½ August 15, 2015
Although the actings of Brad Pitt,Eric Banna and Sean Bean are nice the script is weak and the battles are unrealistic.
½ August 8, 2015
Classic film. One of the greatest. Pitt's finest performance.
½ August 1, 2015
Majestic with superbly shot battle sequences, Troy is a satisfying adaptation of Homer's epic tale of love and war!
July 29, 2015
I thought it worked out decently I guess.