Trucker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trucker Reviews

November 22, 2015
Ironically as the film is meant to showcase Michelle Monaghan I was most impressed with Nathan Fillion; the man who made Captain Mal Reynolds, Captain Hammer and Mayor of Mars on Thrilling Adventure Hour takes it down to playing just an average 'Jack of All Trades' and makes him vulnerable and likable and torn between his wife (who we dont see much of) and Monaghan. An admirable little movie marred by predictability.
October 18, 2015
This one flew, or rather, trucked under the radar. A real gem of a film featuring a standout Michelle Monaghan performance.
½ January 23, 2014
Great acting all round, somewhat heartbreaking story of some very damaged characters. Enjoyed Nathan Fillion and the boy who playd the "son" was kinda amazing. Benjamin Bratt was a surprise in a supporting role. Made me want to hit the road.03.13
July 5, 2013
fairly short (~90 minutes), solid performances by Michelle Monaghan & Nathan Fillion, but I was less impressed by the rest of the cast...
January 23, 2013
Oh Lordy, I cried so much during this film. It's like my generation's Terms of Endearment. I could not get a grip on myself until towards the end.

The disconnection of the mother, the fact that she had the ability to leave her baby son. I could not stand the character Diane on one level because she is obviously unbelievably selfish and self-destructive. Yet, on another level, I felt great compassion for her. All mothers whether they admit to it or not, fear being unable to establish meaningful connections with their children. This is the story of a mother who not only did not connect with her child, but abandoned him. Michelle Monaghan's character is a big drinker and uses men to fill her emptiness, which made it even more difficult to watch but at the same time made it even more riveting. As I was watching, I wanted to see myself as different than Diane, but there are self-destructive parts of her every woman struggles to face. Even though I have made much different decisions than Diane, this film made me feel I could not judge the character or her decisions. In my opinion, we are all just a few twists of fate from despair and brokenness though we will do most anything not to acknowledge that.

I was shocked to see this is the first film by director James Mottern. I am looking forward to seeing what other movies he has coming up. He obviously directed the pants off Michelle Monaghan (I had never heard of her before this film and when I looked her up saw she had mostly played forgettable supporting roles). I am a big Nathan Fiillion fan and really enjoyed his scenes. I do wish he had had a bigger role. Overall, I highly recommend this film but make sure you have kleenex on hand.
January 5, 2013
Touching drama of coming to terms with unexpected changes.
October 18, 2012
Moving, Touching, Heart warming, all descriptions that can be applied to this movie. The acting is really good, some of the delivery Benjamin Bratt brought to the table were very memorable and the rest of the cast as well delivered great performances, I don't understand why the RT score is so low for this film, But I definitely suggest it, although warning, for some of you it may be tear provoking haha.
September 10, 2012
It got recommended by Roger Ebert and some other critics but panned by several as well. I'll have to see it for myself.
½ August 18, 2012
A great independent drama, spun eloquently, well shot.
½ May 19, 2012
Excellent performance form Monaghan
May 7, 2012
Decent film. Good acting but somewhat slow. Nathan Fillion needs to be in more movies. He is awesome.
½ April 12, 2012
This is one of those movies where not a whole lot happens, to be honest. It's more about the progression from how a character is at the beginning to how they are at the end. Unfortunately, this film doesn't show you enough of what they're like in the beginning for the end to be as emotionally resonant as it should have been. Otherwise, it has some strong acting and powerful moments, amongst a lot of typical independent film components.
½ March 21, 2012
This slow-paced & character driven indie drama stars Michelle Monaghan as Diane Ford, an independent truck driver who is suddenly forced to look after her estranged young son Peter (Jimmy Bennett) after her ex husband is diagnosed with cancer and has to stay in the hospital. Now Diane has to balance her long-haul trucking career and the needs of her 11 year old son, who deliberately makes things even more difficult when he openly expresses his anger towards his mother for abandoning him as a child.
This story is nothing new with it's plot that deals with the estranged sibling having to deal with unresolved issues with the parent in a road trip style storyline. But Michelle Monaghan & Jimmy Bennett both give solid performances and breathe fresh air into this cliche story. This film isn't going to be for everyone with it's slow paced plot and strong character driven performances, but all things considered I thought the storyline flowed very well and hit all the right marks. Focusing on past mistakes, broken relationships, and redemption, this film really delivered it's message perfectly. Very touching tearjerker of a movie...really enjoyed it
½ February 20, 2012
A very interesting small movie, great for a watch which gives a refreshing perspective to life
½ January 13, 2012
Why was this made? The whole thing seemed very stilted. The acting was barely mediocre, partly due to a poor cast, but I would blame that mostly on an awful script. This movie tried to be something original, but failed in execution.
½ November 13, 2011
It is great that Winthrop, Iowa native, Michelle Monaghan, has gotten another starring/lead role in a movie after years of finding herself as a supporting player in many Hollywood films. Trucker is Monaghan's first feature as a stand-alone star as we have already seen her as the "second-half" of some film duos -- she was paired with Shia LaBeouf in Eagle Eye and Patrick Dempsey in Made of Honor. She has given fine support in North Country, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Unfaithful, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Gone Baby Gone, Mission: Impossible III, The Heartbreak Kid and It Runs In the Family (see -- lots of supporting roles). The not-so-great aspect for Monaghan is that Trucker isn't an excellent movie one would be overly proud of (it isn't gawd-awful; but it isn't superlative by any means). Trucker is a "been there/done that" film in EVERY possible way ... having a female trucker (wow -- how very original!) isn't enough to set the film apart. Monaghan gives a satisfactory performance but it doesn't make the film recommendation-worthy -- it (the performance) isn't strong enough to make any kind of impact on the viewer (Monaghan is another pretty face with decent acting chops; but I am still waiting to be blown-away by her a la Charlize Theron in Monster or Jennifer Connelly in Requiem for a Dream [and her subsequent films]). She is immensely likable but I want more from her. Trucker is about Diane (Monaghan), a trucker who lives a content life on the road that consists of random hook-ups, on-time delivery bonuses and enjoyable nights out at the bar with her best friend whenever she finds herself in town (the best friend is played by Captain Malcolm Reynolds himself of Firefly/Serenity-fame, the uber-cool Nathan Fillion). The story starts into motion when Diane returns home one day to find people on her front step awaiting her return. Joey Lauren Adams is dropping off Diane's estranged son, Peter, for an indefinite amount of time because her boyfriend (Monaghan's ex played by Benjamin Bratt) is in the hospital after having been diagnosed with colon cancer. The reluctant mother has little choice and the film gives us the fractured relationship as it slowly tries to repair itself (with much help coming from Diane's best friend). With the addition of Peter, Diane's life is changed and she must overcome and re-analyze where her life is leading. As I have said, it's all been done before and there are no genuine surprises here. It is far from being a terrible movie; but it is very "so-what?" because it did so very-little for me.
November 1, 2011
A trucker rebuilds the damaged relationship she has with her son.
August 26, 2011
great casting gives this quiet little indie the fuel to go and go it does.
August 18, 2011
Impressive performance by Michelle Monaghan and Nathan Fillion is better than usual in this little drama. The story is simple, but very toching and the cinematography and soundtrack stand out aswell.
½ August 2, 2011
This movie is great. Any movie where Nathan Fillon is a semi-romantic secondary player (see: Waitress) is a good movie. But this movie is better than waitress. It makes me cry. Even though it says it's at 58 percent on RT, I've watched it seven times now because it's mandatory for me to show it to people. The best thing on netflix instant...