True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

June 27, 2016
This movie bored the crap out of me. I liked the girl and wish that the movie was just her. And where in hell was Matt Damon??? He was hardly in it at all. I found it difficult to understand what they were saying the majority of the time cause everyone was mumbling. There was NO excitement and no energy. To me this movie sucked ass!
½ January 2, 2011
Recent trend regarding the Coen brothers' production for me: comedies, bad. Thrillers, good. After huge disappointments of A Serious Man and Burn After Reading, I think True Grit is a film lovers should not miss: I dont think the film could have been any better with the given material.

the script is so well written that i throughly enjoy almost every exchanges in the film, so much so that i actually thought the first third of the film, when Mattie is running around time, is the best part. Also, what a well-acted film: I am not sure if Hailee Steinfeld will be equally good in other roles, but as a first timer, she was unreal for her role. And god bless Jeff Bridges; please make as many films as possible from now on, i cannot really recall one time when i do not enjoy his performance (okay maybe Tron). Josh Brolin is also great in a very limited role.

So i think this is just a hair below No Country for Old Man, but a movie most people should definitely check out.. unless you have no capacity whatsoever for witty dialogues films. Easily one of the best modern western films.
May 15, 2015
It's rare to see a remake as enjoyable as this one.
January 18, 2011
One of the better Coen brothers movies to come out recently.
½ May 10, 2016
It's the story of a girl on a quest to avenge her father's death. This simple concept carries so much weight and every actor creates a history for their characters you only wish you could delve farther into. It's every bit a classic as the John Wayne original.
½ April 9, 2016
It belongs in any mans Western collection. I admit the girl can be annoying and makes you wish she wasn't as involved, then again it's what makes it work. Greatly casted and well acted film.
April 22, 2016
True Grit's stellar performances from its great cast and fun direction from the Coen brothers make this film a modern western that will be cherished for years to come.
½ April 22, 2016
Isn't there a genre Coen Brothers have not tried. Science Fiction and Fantasy may be, but who's to say what's to come. They have left their unique mark in any genre they have attempted, be it the crime thrillers, spy thrillers, periods, romance and now western. Contains the perfect recipe that has all the ingredients in perfect measure for a western - motivated and stubborn protagonist in pursuit of revenge, supporting characters with vested interests, technology for the best wide shots and beautiful locales going with them are the super talented cast. How can that not go down well?

Mattie's (Hailee Steinfeld) father has just been murdered by his help Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin). She identifies the perfect man Rooster (Jeff Bridges) to exact her revenge who is a bounty hunter notorious for his trigger happy fingers who reluctantly takes on the mission due to a meager negotiation. LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) is a U.S. Marshall in pursuit of Tom Chaney for various previous crimes and wants in on their pursuit but falls short on his ability to please and differences in approach. Rest is how they fix their differences and accomplish their mission.

A lot rides on making Mattie's character likable and Hailee Steinfeld does an excellent job by showing the stubbornness and innocence associated with her age and maturity to deal with the veteran gunslingers. Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin and Matt Damon are accomplished and talented actors and there should not have been any doubt about their output. It is gritty than stylish, realistic than audience pleasing (except for the climax). Screenplay and character development are textbook and well executed. The pre-climax where Rooster pushes the horse to its limit is exhilarating and something I have never seen before. But the climax was totally off leaving all we have digested of Mattie's character down the drain.

If the climax is chopped off, it is a classic winner
April 14, 2016
I don't have a reason not to like it... perhaps its just my aversion to the western genre in general that prevents me from giving this a perfect score...
April 13, 2016
Cannot think of a single reason this film is better than, or even as good as, the original. Pointless. Watch the original. Re-release the original.
½ January 22, 2016
Great performances and tasteful execution of an interesting plot.
January 26, 2011
Great movie!!! The Coen brothers really never disappoint me. Great performances by all of the cast.
½ March 26, 2016
"Put your guns down you son of a bitch" Best cowboy remake ever!!
March 14, 2016
True Grit is what I would consider one of the few golden remakes of (in my opinion) a campy hollywood film. Although the original True Grit shows a simple, hollywood-ized film of a goofy man in a dopy eyepatch, the remake shows us a.... Truly Gritty american story of a man hardened by the frontier and a child hell bent on revenge. The use of scene and silence in this film shows the true loneliness and absolute obscurity that these characters live in, every scene seems unforced, as though we the viewer, have simply been dropped into this living, breathing world that has its own pace and tempo. Entire scenes seem to exist outside of the viewer, and even outside of the characters, as though we happened in on part of a much larger world, giving a very real sense of the life around them. The use of proper grammar takes what would have been nothing but pure dirt digging badassery, and turns it into a shakespearean play, the narrations flowing like beautiful poems, playing over images of the true west; unforgiving, hard, and quite gritty (as the name would imply). This is only further reinforced by the top tier performance of every actor in this film. I would strongly recommend this film to anyone who is into Quentin Tarantino films, as many of the scenes are driven by speech. However, it certianly does not skimp on the action. This film still remains one of my favorite westerns
March 8, 2011
Not much to say about this movie except it would have been perfect if it moved a little faster.
February 27, 2011
Funny, real, strange, infectious.
March 7, 2016
EthanCoen&JoelCoen MattDamon
December 26, 2010
Loved it. Great cast, and the Coen's kill it again.
February 28, 2016
True Grit is directed and written by the Coen Brothers, and it stars Hailee Steinfeld, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin in a western film about a teenager girl who's getting someone to help her capture Tom Chaney who killed her father. I rarely watch Westerns these days as they don't seem to make them in the present day. When seeing True Grit, I was excited to see it as its from the Coen Brothers, and as their first Western film, it's honestly one of the best Western films that I've seen. Newcomer Hailee Steinfeld is terrific in it that I'm glad that she got accolades for it, even though it's odd that she got nominated for Best Supporting Actress as she's the main character here. Jeff Bridges is very intimidating when he needs to be, but can still get behind by being a likable guy. The minor characters are really good like the Bear guy, the bank guy, and some others. Matt Damon is good in it, which some people have problems with him like for the fact that he kind of sticks out like a sore thumb, and maybe he does, but the character that he plays, is from the Texas Rangers, so that makes sense why he probably seem out of place for some viewers that has issues with Matt Damon being in this movie. The action scenes were entertaining to watch, and the chemistry between Rooster and Mattie are interesting and it gives out some funny moments. The writing by the Coen Brothers is very well written, and the direction by them is very well done with some great shots of it. I heard that the ending is different from the original, and I think it's for the best because of what the main character's determination is. The Coen Brother's True Grit is a fantastic movie that has a good story, and memorable characters that make this remake once in a lifetime ordeal.
February 22, 2016