True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
Probably my personal favorite of the Coen's films. A rare case where the remake is better than the original.
January 8, 2017
Minus one star for originality. Remakes are usually fodder for making us puke, but this is a job well done which one would expect from such a star-studded cadre of experienced filmmakers. A bit slow in some scenes but altogether moves at a good pace and captures the viciousness and cruelty of a lawless real old west in seemingly real time. The kids loved it (15 and up) as it had a moral lesson or two kids don;t seem to get these days. Enjoy.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 3, 2017
I think, because my expectations were so high from No Country for Old Men and Fargo, that this movie would deliver the same kind of punch. It does to a degree, but I really can't complain because they've (Coen Bros) created such a high standard for their movies that missing a target by a millimeter is no big deal.
December 10, 2016
The movie itself was just okay...the acting and screenplay were phenominal
December 4, 2016
Great movie. Jeff Bridges was a joy to watch and lived up the the Duke!
December 2, 2016
True Grit is a balanced and poignant Western that blends interesting and quirky characters with a glaring revenge story and wonderfully refined violence.
November 28, 2016
Wonderful direction, strong performances from all, and beautiful cinematography add up to a great modern Western from the Coen brothers.
November 28, 2016
A rowdy and rollicking yet grim Western that could only come (and succeed) from the Coen's bleak vision.
November 24, 2016
A must see one of a kind western with humor and action that keeps you entertained!
November 17, 2016
Jeff Bridges did a very good job along side with Matt Damon & Josh Brolin. True Grit is a Coen brothers flick, the Coen brothers never dissapoint do they? As I watched this movie while I was tired and with lack of soda and crackers, I almost fell asleep. The movie is very suspense-building and the suspense is at the max of my suspensa-meter-thingy. But, but, but... the movie delivers well, though I am a much more bigger fan of the original True Grit featuring John Wayne, this movie is still a - OK! instead of being a - NOT OK! - Good movie though, but not good enough for me to watch it twice.
½ November 12, 2016
Great cinematic movie and a achievement in movie history behind the minds of the Coen brothers and starring Jeff bridges and some young girl who will become a fantastic actress some day. This movie is interesting and a great experience, I want to give this movie 5 stars but... I don't know why, I enjoy this movie but at times it is boring. I love the Story and heard that this is a reboot from the true grit movie starring the most iconic western Hollywood actor of all time John Wayne. I've never watched the original but by the looks of this movie how is the original going to top this. The script is the best , it feels like a original old western movie, I don't know why Hollywood doesn't make western movies anymore, like it used to be but now it is time for comic book movies. I can't believe that this movie didn't win an Oscar, this movie deserves best picture .
November 12, 2016
One of the finest if not the finest Western ever made - Hailee Steinfeld plays a huge part but Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon add to the success of this at times quite moving film - Bridges is in his element as the gruff Marshall who reluctanly agrees to track down the murderer of young Mattie Ross' father , he's ' the meanest ' and like a Canadian Mountie , always gets his man or men in Rooster's case - there's an element of realism in this modern version of ' True Grit ' , people come from miles around to see the hanging , even making a day out of it by bringing a picnic , the racism towards the Indian who is about to be hanged is done with a large pinch of dark [ gallows ] humour as his death song is rudely interrupted by having a hood put over his head while the white condemned men are allowed their last words .
' True Grit ' is beautifully photographed , in contrast to the 1969 version the action takes place in late Autumn , early Winter as opposed to Spring and for me it just adds to the beauty of the film - from its beginning to its moving end this is a film I'll never tire of and will watch time and time again - fittingly it was bought for me by my Daughter , Becky - she knows a good film when she sees one , thank you , Sweetheart .
November 6, 2016
Well made movie but the story is unsatisfactory
½ November 4, 2016
This is a cracker. My only regret is that i recorded it off air without subtitles, and some of the dialogue was lost on me. It's gripping, although not completely believable, with some fine acting and characters with depth. The Coen brothers have done a fine job. We don't make a habit of watching westerns but this one was worth it.
October 21, 2016
Grazie a scene sempre inaspettate, "Il Grinta" č un film che stupisce di continuo, coinvolgendo lo spettatore con personaggi interessanti, azione emozionante e una sceneggiatura tipica dei fratelli Coen. Di sicuro verrā ricordato come uno dei migliori della loro superba filmografia.
October 17, 2016
great story, great acting. am vazut prima ora
½ October 13, 2016
What do you get with great performances, the coen brothers and all their skills and being a western? A hell of a fun ride! Usually in westerns you are waiting for the next shoot-out to happen, but the coens just wrote great dialogue and hired great actors to let the time fly by. Speaking of the perfomances: JEFF BRIDGES you are awesome dude! Everytime you saw his face and heard his great voice it was magic. Pure perfection. And also Matt Damon, Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Brolin bring their A-game to this movie. This is a very goodlooking, awesome acted, almost taratino like western. The only flaw I have is that the last 3 minutes were kind of unnecessary. But everything else was just perfect. Go check it out!
October 6, 2016
Despite my natural distaste for western films, I watched True Grit with an open mind. Surprisingly, I did end up enjoying certain elements of the film, but was overall left dissatisfied.

The cinematography of the wide open landscapes in the film were pure mastery, and the close detail paid to historical accuracy was much appreciated, but some aspects of the film just missed the mark. Plot holes such as when Mattie Ross rushed into the river with her horse but emerged mysteriously dry left me slightly irritated. I felt that the plot dragged on and on and left me impatiently waiting for the movie to end. I did appreciate the character arch of Laboeuf and Cogburn and how Mattie facilitated/catalyzed their archs.

I'm unsure if this is a valid criticism or not but I also found extremely hard to hear and/or understand the actors words and found myself rewinding the film a lot.

One aspect of the film I did really enjoy was the musical score. A good musical score for a movie will enthrall you and help the ebb and flow of the plot and this movie's score did exactly that. Without it, it is very probable that I would have fallen asleep watching it.

For me, watching this film felt a lot like watching a historical documentary of sorts and it did not leave me very fulfilled. In terms of the quest archetype, I felt that it may not be the best movie to represent it well. Because of its ties to western cowboy culture, many may think that it is symbolic of the American quest, but I think a film like The Pursuit of Happyness would have been a much better film to represent this because the quest is much more nuanced.
October 6, 2016
True grit is a classic of American literature in the recent decades. Cowboy novels are often too serious or dramatic, but this is different. A classic story well told, filmed and excellently acted, must be seen. Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) a stubborn 14 year old girl is determined to find the murderer of his father, and she goes to town with one goal to find someone that would help her. For this she contract the most experienced but least advisable Marshall due to his bad habits. And I not going to continue telling you what happens, if you want to know how it ends you have to see it. I have never liked this kind of western movies, but I really enjoy it watching this one.