True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

October 21, 2016
Grazie a scene sempre inaspettate, "Il Grinta" č un film che stupisce di continuo, coinvolgendo lo spettatore con personaggi interessanti, azione emozionante e una sceneggiatura tipica dei fratelli Coen. Di sicuro verrā ricordato come uno dei migliori della loro superba filmografia.
October 17, 2016
great story, great acting. am vazut prima ora
½ October 13, 2016
What do you get with great performances, the coen brothers and all their skills and being a western? A hell of a fun ride! Usually in westerns you are waiting for the next shoot-out to happen, but the coens just wrote great dialogue and hired great actors to let the time fly by. Speaking of the perfomances: JEFF BRIDGES you are awesome dude! Everytime you saw his face and heard his great voice it was magic. Pure perfection. And also Matt Damon, Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Brolin bring their A-game to this movie. This is a very goodlooking, awesome acted, almost taratino like western. The only flaw I have is that the last 3 minutes were kind of unnecessary. But everything else was just perfect. Go check it out!
October 6, 2016
Despite my natural distaste for western films, I watched True Grit with an open mind. Surprisingly, I did end up enjoying certain elements of the film, but was overall left dissatisfied.

The cinematography of the wide open landscapes in the film were pure mastery, and the close detail paid to historical accuracy was much appreciated, but some aspects of the film just missed the mark. Plot holes such as when Mattie Ross rushed into the river with her horse but emerged mysteriously dry left me slightly irritated. I felt that the plot dragged on and on and left me impatiently waiting for the movie to end. I did appreciate the character arch of Laboeuf and Cogburn and how Mattie facilitated/catalyzed their archs.

I'm unsure if this is a valid criticism or not but I also found extremely hard to hear and/or understand the actors words and found myself rewinding the film a lot.

One aspect of the film I did really enjoy was the musical score. A good musical score for a movie will enthrall you and help the ebb and flow of the plot and this movie's score did exactly that. Without it, it is very probable that I would have fallen asleep watching it.

For me, watching this film felt a lot like watching a historical documentary of sorts and it did not leave me very fulfilled. In terms of the quest archetype, I felt that it may not be the best movie to represent it well. Because of its ties to western cowboy culture, many may think that it is symbolic of the American quest, but I think a film like The Pursuit of Happyness would have been a much better film to represent this because the quest is much more nuanced.
October 6, 2016
True grit is a classic of American literature in the recent decades. Cowboy novels are often too serious or dramatic, but this is different. A classic story well told, filmed and excellently acted, must be seen. Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) a stubborn 14 year old girl is determined to find the murderer of his father, and she goes to town with one goal to find someone that would help her. For this she contract the most experienced but least advisable Marshall due to his bad habits. And I not going to continue telling you what happens, if you want to know how it ends you have to see it. I have never liked this kind of western movies, but I really enjoy it watching this one.
September 5, 2016
One of the best Westerns in a long time
August 28, 2016
great ACTORS but to try to follow in the foot steps of john wayne, i don't feel it was pulled off very well, there was more then just something that was missing in their performances, no singling any one actor out
½ August 28, 2016
Combining one of Jeff Bridges's best performances with Hailee Steinfeld's only notable one (despite it being awesome) into two extremely well-written characters, True Grit is a hard-hitting, powerful, and no doubt masterfully recreated by the great Coen brothers.
August 21, 2016
mostly ok, but really.funny at times. has one of my favorite actors. you have to be in a certain mood to watch this one
August 18, 2016
Fun and terrific movie! So much great acting and camera view with emotional moments that not make you cry, but it can open your conscience.
August 16, 2016
I must day that I still like the version from the 60s the best--it was John Wayne's best role.
August 10, 2016
All through this movie I swore I had seen it before, even knew the ending. Maybe I'm losing it after watching too many movies. Anyway...
Great movie, very entertaining, though the language is a little difficult at times and you get the feeling that you might've missed something.
August 9, 2016
I'm proud to say that I received the opportunity to sit in a theater to watch this modern western masterpiece. We've all come to expect a quality, substantial film from those Coen Brothers, but after a film like No Country For Old Men, widely considered to be the Coen Brothers' finest work, it was a surprise to see them bounce right back with what is probably their second best work. The direction perfectly constructs every scene into it's own chapter of the story (no pun intended as the film is an adaptation of a novel), the cinematography is mesmerizing as with most Coen Brothers flicks with cinematography by Roger Deakins, and the editing by "Roger Deakins" (an alias for the Coens) is worthy to the cinematography. If I was being starkly nitpicky, I would say that unlike No Country For Old Men, the film does fall a bit uneven for about fifteen minutes of the second act, but then again, the point of the film is a slightly more mortal perception of a manhunt such as Tom Cheney's. Even though particular clues would imply movement in one direction, they cannot get a break and when they do, third party involvement screws them out of successfully making an arrest. While Rooster Cogburn is the drunken, rough antihero of the picture, he is portrayed in a darker light. Where as John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn was comedically an alcoholic and jokingly falls short of common decency, this Rooster Cogburn's alcoholism is terrifying and his lack of decency can be sickening at times even it's apparent that he is a good guy. Of course, with a healthy injection of honestly sidesplitting humor, True Grit is probably the best western of the century so far.
½ August 9, 2016
A mesmerizing epopee that evokes the true grandeur of classic Westerns, with a beautiful melancholy score, well-developed characters, a magnificent cinematography, endless memorable lines and top-notch performances, especially from Bridges and Steinfeld.
July 29, 2016
Stunningly realized film.
July 27, 2016
I watched this version after reading the book and I'm still speechless and moved by it... for some damn reason. I simply love this movie.
July 23, 2016
This is the best western film I have ever seen!
Would give it a 6 stars if I could!
July 22, 2016
The Coen Brothers deliver both an excellent remake of the classic original, and a movie that stands on its own. It looks beautiful, and is packed with amazing performances and exhilarating western action.
July 17, 2016
Good movie. Though it doesn't quite live up to the original Wayne classic, and its tone shifts to more light-hearted than the original film and the novel, this is still a well-constructed, beautifully shot, wonderfully directed western with great performances from the cast, especially Bridges and Steinfeld. I just wish the Coens had put their devilishly evil twist to make the novel adaptation appropriately darker.
July 6, 2016
This is one of those rare remakes that is just as terrific as the original. Although it doesn't have the kind of rewatchability that a lot of Coen brothers films have, True Grit ranks amongst some of their best work. It is superbly crafted from a technical standpoint, and the performances are all top-notch. This is the most straightforward film the Coens have ever made, and even though it lacks their signature dark sense of humor, this is vastly entertaining.