True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

November 3, 2017
Arguably the best Western film of the 21st century, True Grit truly is a masterpiece. Hailee Steinfeld is genuinely great, somehow managing to keep up with acting heavyweights like Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin, all of whom also deliver fantastic performances. The Coen Brothers prove how great they are as directors, and the script is expertly written. The story has plenty of slow moments in between top-notch action scenes, yet it never gets boring. I haven't seen the original film or read the book, but True Grit stands on its own with ease.
September 24, 2017
Very well made movie, but the story was just way too much talking... barely any action. Didn't watch a Western for talk talk talk.
September 17, 2017
i loved this remake starring his Dudeness
September 15, 2017
Beautiful story. One of the best movies I've ever wached.
September 14, 2017
A good reboot of the 1969 True Grit, the Coen brothers always know what to do with a good story. One critique I have is there weird cuts sprinkled around, but it does not majorly affect viewing experience.
½ September 13, 2017
While watching this film I kept waiting for the moment when it would really kick in and wow me. However, that moment never came. Don't get me wrong, the movie was pretty good, I just feel like it was missing something that would truly make it an all-time great. Hell of a performance from Steinfeld.
½ August 27, 2017
Not too bad as film but not too likely to be true either. It however has many qualities. The psychopaths seems less dangerous at first. Not full of anger, only coldly calculating. Seems like the frenchie and the indians are treated as out of character, not surprising in an english film. The film is still about a chase of bad guys by good guys. Nothing about indians in the indian territory, which seems excessively unlikely. Although, since it was in the 1870, it's possible the indians were all decimated already.
June 14, 2017
A wonderfully-acted, wild-west adventure film that hits all the right notes and entertains consistently throughout.
May 30, 2017
Not bad. Good performances, particularly from Bridges and Steinfeld. But it felt unnecessary.
May 21, 2017
An excellent remake of the classic John Wayne movie of the same name with Jeff Bridges in the John Wayne role, Matt Damon in the Glenn Campbell role and Hailee Steinfeld in the Kim Darby role. The movie follows the original story very closely with the exception of the beginning and the end. A young girl recruits an aging federal marshall to capture the killer of her father. Also the soundtrack is very different in that it uses traditional church hymns and not the Glenn Campbell song.
May 17, 2017
17/5/2017 - The perfect remake, I have to say even better than the 1969 original. Excellent acting by all, some funny moments and at under 2 hours long, doesn't overstay its welcome. True Grit is a pleasant surprise and i simply cannot fault it.
½ May 8, 2017
Even amongst very strong performances by Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld's performance absolutely stood out as amazing. This was a great movie about a girl trying to find justice for the death of her father.
½ April 12, 2017
"The wicked flee when none pursueth"
When we see that we must pay to travel and reach places to identify the body. When we see we must pay to return somethings where they belong. When we see to it that we pay our last respects to those in whom we saw and rather see one last time wearing the vary thing they would like seeing themselves prefer to wear in the afterlife. When we see we have to pay for things and arrange the proper way of seeing things. When seeing things the way they work people have to pay for their mistakes when all have to see what we do to those whom dont follow the system right. When what we don't see others can't pay when it's out of our hands and into another when we see some people always being righteous in our eyes that we see to it they deserve justice and let those pay for their injustices. When what we see we know we must pay to have one last chance to let the world see we are good to pay their respects rather then disrespects but it's too late for somethings rather then others. When life out here we see is hard that we need to get paid in order to live. When what we rather not see or pay when they don't see it our way or pay that we get rid. When we see we pay for the what we want when we want the meanest & toughest to do the job. When somethings we rather not see we pay no attention to when we have business in mind. When what we see we know we must pay our condolences and settle last bit of business we need to see get done when we need to get paid. When somethings we rather not see or pay when we have settle things another way. When we see some people drive a hard bargain to pay whatever to get those off our backs. When we see how we honour those whom lost by pay back. When what we see we pay attention to how the system works. When we see we pay for what we get. When we don't need to see some people to know that they are worth the price for every head that pay the ultimate price that we see brought down to justice. When some things we don't see that suffer the price of what others cost us now have to pay. When we see that we pay a large price for civility when we want to see everything done to what justice represents and wishes to be seen nothing less. When what others can't see we pay them the courtesy of doing it for them. When somethings we see we pay close attention to when they got Grit when we pay others the courtesy to send a message others wish us to deliver. When somethings we see we pay no respect to when we see there is no respect to see or anything else for that matter thst you might see. When somethings we don't see we pay the price when we can't see or settle some matters. When somethings we see & pay will do when we got a good feeling about somethings with spirit. When somethings we don't see we√,¬† don't pay not attention when it no business of ours. When we must see to our business needs to be done, to pay no more to what we don't have. When we see all are paying for hard times when competition & prices are getting high. When we see we all have a price when others pay those for help, and we are an extra hand that is free. When we see we need to pay those the discipline they deserve to lay some ground rules and spanking. When somethings we see we pay attention to when they lurk in the dark while we sleep. When somethings we see we pay no attention or business when we need to make them focused on the task at hand, lighten the mood and make sure we make others pay to get everyone to along. When we see we can't pay for other things to get along when there is no price for pride. When we wish to see somethings when we pay to have it our way. When somethings we see we pay the decency to put a stop to somethings inhumane. When somethings we see and pay no attention to but know they are decent that they set free somethings, we give back otherthings, & don't give nothing to a bunch of nothings.√,¬† When somethings we wish to see and not see we couldn't pay to keep when it's a livlihood with a family. When we see we rather pay for other things when we see just about anything out in these parts.
When what we see others have paid a price for and are of value after death when you can trade for something for it. When there are somethings we don't wish to see nor pay attention to but it's a business that is flourishing when body snatching is used for medical research. When what many don't see they don't get paid when they don't see the living in somethings. When we see there is a small price to pay when we die, when it's worth little in hard times, when there is no one to see to it you die right and pay for a proper funeral. When other things we see pay the price when they are of value in harsh conditions. When we see there is a price we pay for everything even information. When we see some places we have to pay closer attention to when we are not welcome and hiding something when we are the law. When what we see we pay them the swiftest hand of the law. When what we see we pay our dues when it's our time to go. When somethings we see we need not to pay when it's free when we prefer our own style of justice. When we see some places we pay a visit to danger lurks behind us to know we have each others backs. When somethings we don't wish to see but others wish to see is settling once and for all whom we pay our respects too when we fight to which aims are true and whom can hit their targets to know we pay any price for when we are great. When other things we don't pay attention to impairs us. When we see some arrangements are not in contract thus no need to nullify when payment is terminated. When what we don't see we need not pay attention to when some tasks are going nowhere. When we see there is no hope in the things we wish to pay to only wait. When somethings we see we recognize when we pay a closer look to somethings we eyed along time ago. When somethings we see we can't do alone when we can't pay for a proper weapon to do it. When somethings we cant see but know by reputation when they are paid to kill criminals. When somethings we see we know we owe to pay but cannot allow when our living is to not abide by the law. When what we see we don't want to pay when we wish to get away with things. When somethings we see we return and pay the favour and pay it forward for saving us. When we see our moment of payback our aim is true when we brought those to justice. When we see we can't escape our fate in some conditions when we can't pay ourselves to get out of somethings we are in that other things dont have a price but prefer somethings be left alone and prefer to let the laws of the world do its work. When somethings we see we put more then a price to pay but their life when we push them to their limits to get us to where we need to go. When see the costs of living to putting a price for everything to get us there in the end, to not have to pay for what reckoning we may have caused or been apart of. When we see we paid a lot to see what we see to continue to see all what we have and those whom got us here. When we see the cost of living puts a price over everything, some that we prefer to be close to and not have a value after death when sentimental value is more. When we wish to see all those who do us wrong pay the piper in the end. When we wish to see progress reach us sooner to fall short and slow down when we can't pay for everything we wish to see by the time it's too late.
½ March 31, 2017
Waay over-nominated for Oscars - and none awarded, appropriately. Probably the Coen bros. mystique. Certified Fresh? Mmmm ... This is an OK film & Steinfeld is a true find. But listening to Bridges chawing through a strange script is not that special. The script is strange in that no contractions of words are used. The dialogue has a strange faux formality that begins to seem like a parody of amateur actors.

This is a nicely crafted but run-of-the-mill western - and enjoyable if you need a blood & dust fix. But it's not, say, "Unforgiven," nor even "Seraphim Falls."
March 24, 2017
An engaging and well-told story.
½ March 23, 2017
Everything is done just right, from the pacing and humorous tone to the colours, costumes and cast.
½ March 13, 2017
A Worthy Remake of a Western Classic!

Fourteen-year-old Mattie Ross's (Hailee Steinfeld) father has been shot in cold blood by the coward Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin) and she is determined to bring him to justice. Enlisting the help of a trigger-happy, drunken U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges), she sets out with him---over his objections---to hunt down Chaney. Her father's blood demands that she pursue the criminal into Indian territory and find him before a Texas Ranger named LeBoeuf (Matt Damon) catches him and brings him back to Texas for the murder of another man.

In this Western filled with gorgeous landscapes and action-packed shootouts, the Coen brothers display a vision of a Wild West that is indeed wild---but also honorable. They went back to Portis' original text and have transformed it into a work of art that stands on its own, apart and different from the 1969 John Wayne classic. Laconic stretches explode with violence and relax with wit and humor on a stage peopled with extraordinary actors, with Bridges as the master. It's a true Western, made for both the genre's connoisseurs and newcomers. The biggest revelation, besides how hokey-yet-winning Damon can be, is Steinfeld. Her role requires the ability to stand up against two award-winning actors and portray a teen who tackles adult responsibilities fully while both grieving and avenging the loss of a parent---true grit, in other words---and she executes perfectly. From start to finish, 'True Grit' plays as it should, and well.
February 24, 2017
As remakes go, this one was bound to come eventually. However, what no one expected, including me, was that the remake would supercede the original in craft, entertainment, grace, grandeur, and sheer ingenuity. How about that? A remake with ingenuity.
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Charles Portis. Tough U.S. Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn (Bridges) is hired by an outspoken 14-year-old girl (Steinfeld) to track down her father's murderer.
½ January 15, 2017
Probably my personal favorite of the Coen's films. A rare case where the remake is better than the original.