True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

August 16, 2016
I must day that I still like the version from the 60s the best--it was John Wayne's best role.
August 10, 2016
All through this movie I swore I had seen it before, even knew the ending. Maybe I'm losing it after watching too many movies. Anyway...
Great movie, very entertaining, though the language is a little difficult at times and you get the feeling that you might've missed something.
August 9, 2016
I'm proud to say that I received the opportunity to sit in a theater to watch this modern western masterpiece. We've all come to expect a quality, substantial film from those Coen Brothers, but after a film like No Country For Old Men, widely considered to be the Coen Brothers' finest work, it was a surprise to see them bounce right back with what is probably their second best work. The direction perfectly constructs every scene into it's own chapter of the story (no pun intended as the film is an adaptation of a novel), the cinematography is mesmerizing as with most Coen Brothers flicks with cinematography by Roger Deakins, and the editing by "Roger Deakins" (an alias for the Coens) is worthy to the cinematography. If I was being starkly nitpicky, I would say that unlike No Country For Old Men, the film does fall a bit uneven for about fifteen minutes of the second act, but then again, the point of the film is a slightly more mortal perception of a manhunt such as Tom Cheney's. Even though particular clues would imply movement in one direction, they cannot get a break and when they do, third party involvement screws them out of successfully making an arrest. While Rooster Cogburn is the drunken, rough antihero of the picture, he is portrayed in a darker light. Where as John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn was comedically an alcoholic and jokingly falls short of common decency, this Rooster Cogburn's alcoholism is terrifying and his lack of decency can be sickening at times even it's apparent that he is a good guy. Of course, with a healthy injection of honestly sidesplitting humor, True Grit is probably the best western of the century so far.
½ August 9, 2016
A mesmerizing epopee that evokes the true grandeur of classic Westerns, with a beautiful melancholy score, well-developed characters, a magnificent cinematography, endless memorable lines and top-notch performances, especially from Bridges and Steinfeld.
July 29, 2016
Stunningly realized film.
July 27, 2016
I watched this version after reading the book and I'm still speechless and moved by it... for some damn reason. I simply love this movie.
July 23, 2016
This is the best western film I have ever seen!
Would give it a 6 stars if I could!
July 22, 2016
****
The Coen Brothers deliver both an excellent remake of the classic original, and a movie that stands on its own. It looks beautiful, and is packed with amazing performances and exhilarating western action.
July 17, 2016
Good movie. Though it doesn't quite live up to the original Wayne classic, and its tone shifts to more light-hearted than the original film and the novel, this is still a well-constructed, beautifully shot, wonderfully directed western with great performances from the cast, especially Bridges and Steinfeld. I just wish the Coens had put their devilishly evil twist to make the novel adaptation appropriately darker.
July 6, 2016
This is one of those rare remakes that is just as terrific as the original. Although it doesn't have the kind of rewatchability that a lot of Coen brothers films have, True Grit ranks amongst some of their best work. It is superbly crafted from a technical standpoint, and the performances are all top-notch. This is the most straightforward film the Coens have ever made, and even though it lacks their signature dark sense of humor, this is vastly entertaining.
July 5, 2016
It's just not the same as the original film but the pace was excellent to not keep you bored though Matt Damon was a pretty terrible actor in this remake.
July 1, 2016
I'm not sure a perfect film exists but if it did, I imagine it would look something like this.
½ June 30, 2016
One of the best westerns ever established. This is my favorite Coen Brothers movie.... but it's a remake of an older film.
June 27, 2016
This movie bored the crap out of me. I liked the girl and wish that the movie was just her. And where in hell was Matt Damon??? He was hardly in it at all. I found it difficult to understand what they were saying the majority of the time cause everyone was mumbling. There was NO excitement and no energy. To me this movie sucked ass!
½ June 19, 2016
Recent trend regarding the Coen brothers' production for me: comedies, bad. Thrillers, good. After huge disappointments of A Serious Man and Burn After Reading, I think True Grit is a film lovers should not miss: I dont think the film could have been any better with the given material.

the script is so well written that i throughly enjoy almost every exchanges in the film, so much so that i actually thought the first third of the film, when Mattie is running around time, is the best part. Also, what a well-acted film: I am not sure if Hailee Steinfeld will be equally good in other roles, but as a first timer, she was unreal for her role. And god bless Jeff Bridges; please make as many films as possible from now on, i cannot really recall one time when i do not enjoy his performance (okay maybe Tron). Josh Brolin is also great in a very limited role.

So i think this is just a hair below No Country for Old Man, but a movie most people should definitely check out.. unless you have no capacity whatsoever for witty dialogues films. Easily one of the best modern western films.
June 5, 2016
It's rare to see a remake as enjoyable as this one.
May 26, 2016
One of the better Coen brothers movies to come out recently.
½ May 10, 2016
It's the story of a girl on a quest to avenge her father's death. This simple concept carries so much weight and every actor creates a history for their characters you only wish you could delve farther into. It's every bit a classic as the John Wayne original.
½ May 6, 2016
It belongs in any mans Western collection. I admit the girl can be annoying and makes you wish she wasn't as involved, then again it's what makes it work. Greatly casted and well acted film.
April 22, 2016
True Grit's stellar performances from its great cast and fun direction from the Coen brothers make this film a modern western that will be cherished for years to come.