True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

November 15, 2015
151115: A classic. Nobody is as bad, yet loveable, as John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn.
October 3, 2015
John Wayne had to play a "one-eyed fat man" before the Motion Picture Academy considered him worthy of an Oscar.
August 12, 2015
John Wayne at his aging best, showing his sheer force of personality and talent in another classic from an American icon. It's a tragedy that the reboot version was a lame hipster attempt to foster appeal to a younger crowd via the Coen touch. (why don't they try to just reboot Casablanca...same concept) Nobody, and I mean nobody, can utter the words "fill your hand you soon of a bitch" like the Duke. Glenn Campbell was the weak link but did admirably.
½ July 28, 2015
Entertaining and exciting with a memorable performance from John Wayne, True Grit ranks among one of the finest westerns ever made!
June 28, 2015
A John Wayne classic that just slightly manages to get outclassed by it's remake. Still a great western film.
June 20, 2015
Just watch the remake.
June 4, 2015
a good movie with the duke.
½ May 26, 2015
Driven by great performances from Wayne and Darby, along with impeccable writing and the fascinating character of Rooster Cogburn, True Grit is one of the greatest revenge stories of all time.
May 26, 2015
Hey, it's the Duke! That remake was junk compared to the real thing! If you want to watch a cowboy movie, this better be on your list or you will miss out!
May 17, 2015
John Wayne's best movie ever!
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
April 27, 2015
Someone should stick a fork in the reviews of jim hunter what's his problem with john wayne? Did the duke date your mom?
½ April 6, 2015
John Wayne is inevitably Boss,and Kim Darby is perfect as the stubborn, serious,14-going-on-30 girl out for revenge.The short hair is perfect.The interaction between both and La Boeuf is very interesting,as the partnership of the 2 men withers and the girl finds a way into the old gruff bastardīs heart.

I love how she chooses,after hearing the options,Rooster Cogburn because he sounds like he has "True Grit".Girl knows what she wants,no-nonsense.And nice intro song,unlike in The Searchers.
April 2, 2015
John Wayne starred in this revisionist Western tale of a young girl's revenge. Three unlikely individuals set on the dangerous quest together.Mattie Ross' father was killed by an outlaw, she then hired drunken marshall Cogburn to help her catch the killer. Along the way, Texas ranger La Boeuf wanted to catch the killer for bounty.

It's a two hour of fun, the acting of Mattie was a bit slacking but overall still quite enjoyable and the music was great too.
March 28, 2015
love it... i jate to say the new one was better but with new technology i have to say it was. not to say if this technology was available they would have blown them out of the water... still one of the best classic westerns ever on my list.
½ March 15, 2015
Classic Western, classic character. The epitome of the John Wayne Cowboy character. the movie was as classic western as it gets.

PS: personally I don't like the mid century aesthetic of the Cowboys. I kept seeing the Marlboro Man and not a cowboy. The clothes were too modern (at the time) and it bugged me. I don't need 100% period accuracy but it felt like late 60s pretending to be 1880s.
½ March 4, 2015
Although many websites claim the remake is better, they don't understand the heart John Wayne and Glen Campbell exuded in this great flick.
½ March 4, 2015
March 1, 2015
I think I like Jeff Bridge's Rooster Cogburn better because unlike John Wayne, he doesn't look constantly constipated and believably gets it done than the way slower and more feeble Duke looks.
½ December 4, 2014