True Grit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Grit Reviews

½ March 22, 2016
A tomboyish young woman hires a cutthroat Marshal to kill the hired hand who killed her father, insisting to go along for the ride. Decent western features a few future stars in supporting roles and won an Oscar for John Wayne, although his performance does not strike me as particularly noteworthy.
February 23, 2016
Thought I'd check out the original rather than the 're-imagining'/remake. Great stuff, I loved the beautiful landscapes especially!
January 5, 2016
True Grit may not be the smartest or most technical film, but John Wayne and Kim Darby establish an unlikely camaraderie that makes you root for them from start to finish. The plot line starts out strong, but as the story starts to break at the seams, the main stars take over and engage the audience as only a band of misfits could.
January 2, 2016
A good ol' adventure yarn. I disliked the mild flirtation between the Texas ranger and the girl considering he's clearly like at least twice her age, but other than that, I enjoyed the film.
December 20, 2015
True Grit's rating is boosted with John Wayne's presence.
December 19, 2015
One of the best performances from John Wayne
December 18, 2015
John Wayne at his best.
December 12, 2015
A very competent western, but having seen the remake prior to it, nothing was very surprising or new.
½ December 4, 2015
John Wayne; Guns; Horse chases, and a young girl in need of redemption; Henry Hathaway's "True Grit" does just that, and brings life down to the gritty realities we all face, which is that the decisions we make, and the people who we involve ourselves with, shape what we ourselves feel and call living. The action and clearly blatant figure of John Wayne drive the movie to the audience of young and older men, living vicariously to be what they feel is one of
the crowning faces of masculinity, but being a particularly well rounded movie, the duo of Wayne and his co-stars appeal to not only a specific audience, but to a general audience as well.

Alongside John Wayne who plays the part of Marshal Rueben J. Cogbu rn, stars Kim Darby as well as Glen Campbell as respectively Mattie Ross and a French-Texan Ranger named La Boeuf. The movie follows the story of Mattie, a wealthy young girl who after her father leaves for a trip with an old time friend named Cheney that he has taken in, is brutally shot and murdered by that same friend, portrayed very well by Jeff Corey. Mattie catches wind
of the incident, and now is fueled by her rage and will stop at nothing to catch the elusive Cheney who disappears after the incident. One of the moves Mattie makes is enlisting the help of the very unorthodox and drunken Marshall Cogburn, and allows La Boeuf the Texan Ranger to tag along as well, he running into her while being on search of his own for a comrade of
Cheney's.

Though the story is very much Mattie's and her movement towards as mentioned earlier, getting redemption for her father's death, undeniably the draw for the film is John Wayne; who happened to win an Oscar for his performance in the movie. He draws you in with his logic and the way he seems to handle the issues in complete contrast to Mattie and her eccentric ways, and La Boeuf who just seems like he's trying to keep up. The initial draw for the movie as such would be to feel manly, and as the title suggests, know the meaning of "True Grit". What is surprising, is that throughout the entire length of the film you begin to notice a type of chemistry between the three travelers that makes you sincerely feel for them when trouble, or travail befalls them, and as the movies draws to interesting climaxes, you find yourself
thoroughly invested in each of the Characters growth and development. In that aspect, it has the added and needed drama aspect that you would need, without throwing it in your face, or throwing you off with off color or unnecessary "sappy" moments.

Though John Wayne did ultimately steal the show, my hat goes off to Kim Darby in this film for her portrayal of a young girl who brings a type of reality and true emotional stability to the picture, a "real drama" as I'd like to call it. From the first five minutes of the movie, you're forced into Mattie's world, who with her Tom-Boyish attitude and round about sense of humility,
really appeals to the young generation and otherwise wouldn't. You find yourself cheering her on as she gets closer to her goal, which she is completely passionate about, in scenes where she expresses herself to the trumping of even Marshal Cogburn as well as La Boeuf on their
adventure.

For me personally, this was the highlight of the show, watching how this young girl brought a drunkard and ranger into her world, and not only through mutual interest, but pure, persistent passion. Passion that brings out kindness out of the Ranger, passion that brought heart to a Marshal. True Grit is a great time, and it does well with show the sides of drama as well as "grit" that is needed is this type of film, the appeal is feels real, and the lessons very timely.
November 15, 2015
151115: A classic. Nobody is as bad, yet loveable, as John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn.
October 3, 2015
John Wayne had to play a "one-eyed fat man" before the Motion Picture Academy considered him worthy of an Oscar.
August 12, 2015
John Wayne at his aging best, showing his sheer force of personality and talent in another classic from an American icon. It's a tragedy that the reboot version was a lame hipster attempt to foster appeal to a younger crowd via the Coen touch. (why don't they try to just reboot Casablanca...same concept) Nobody, and I mean nobody, can utter the words "fill your hand you soon of a bitch" like the Duke. Glenn Campbell was the weak link but did admirably.
½ July 28, 2015
Entertaining and exciting with a memorable performance from John Wayne, True Grit ranks among one of the finest westerns ever made!
June 28, 2015
A John Wayne classic that just slightly manages to get outclassed by it's remake. Still a great western film.
June 20, 2015
Just watch the remake.
June 4, 2015
a good movie with the duke.
½ May 26, 2015
Driven by great performances from Wayne and Darby, along with impeccable writing and the fascinating character of Rooster Cogburn, True Grit is one of the greatest revenge stories of all time.
May 26, 2015
Hey, it's the Duke! That remake was junk compared to the real thing! If you want to watch a cowboy movie, this better be on your list or you will miss out!
May 17, 2015
John Wayne's best movie ever!
½ May 13, 2015