True Legend Reviews

• Feb 25, 2017

Some spectacular fight scenes are on display in a run-of-the-mill vengeance plot.

• Jan 22, 2016

Started out promising, but devolves into a mess, with terribly done CGI, some awkward wire-fu, and nonsensical plot. Just when you thought the movie should have ended, it goes on for another 40 minutes.

• Dec 08, 2015

LOve fOreign films with sO much actiOn!!

LOve fOreign films with sO much actiOn!!

• Nov 16, 2015

them guys got hands !

them guys got hands !

• Jul 23, 2015

Probably the best new martial arts film I've seen in some time. From Woo-Ping Yuen in his first solo directing effort since 1993's "Iron Monkey," he really knocks this one out of the park in terms of offering some amazing fight scenes. The film follows the story of Beggar Su, who is the creator of Drunken Boxing, before he became a beggar. Su retired from the arm to be a family man, only to have his family destroyed by an evil step brother, who is irresponsibly using the Five Venom Fists. Su's father killer the step brother's father for doing the same, so the step brother now want's revenge for his father's killing by destroying Su. When Su's life and family are torn apart he turns to booze and goes downhill, but redeems himself in the end, though not after some very odd multiple climaxes. The is badly structured and the melodramatics common to Chinese films are way over-the-top, but that's not why you watch a Yuen Woo-Ping film. You watch them for some amazing fights. I'd really thought I was done with martial arts wire work fights and bores with that style of fight films, but Woo-Ping made me realize that seeing it done well is all you need to make it exciting and fun to watch. This film is a must see for martial arts fan, but others should probably steer clear. And one interesting factoid, Woo-Ping directed an early hit of Jackie Chan's in 1978 about the same character in "Drunken Master" though Chan's film took a much more comic approach.

• Jan 26, 2015

My Rating: 4/5 stars; Grade: B+; Gesture: One Thumb Up; Status: Fairly Better (Fresh); Emoticon: :-).

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Nov 22, 2014

A good martial arts movie that peaks 75 minutes in. Which is unfortunate considering that there are close to 40 minutes left in the movie by this point. Martial arts movie have never really been about the story as much as they have been a showcase for some really badass action sequences and showcasing different fighting styles. This is no different. Of course that means that the story, understandably, takes a backseat. But I still stand behind what I said that the movie peaks about 75 minutes in and the rest didn't really need to go as long as it did. Essentially, Su gets his revenge, but at the same time he loses someone very close to him. After this, he lets himself go...he becomes a drunk and lives on the street with his son. He's lost his confidence even though we saw him go through that after his first battle with Yuan. I suppose the idea behind this being that he regained enough of his confidence back the first time, and it cost him the person he loved more than his son due to his own thirst for vengeance. But to repeat that again, Su regaining his confidence to save his son this time, just isn't as satisfying because you had literally just seen it less than an hour prior. The climactic action scene isn't particularly satisfying because, he's fighting some big muscular motherfuckers, so they clearly aren't as agile. So these scenes aren't particularly satisfying because these other guys can't really do much. There's a cool scene here where it's shown how Drunken Fist style, supposedly, originated. This is easily the best scene after the movie peaks. The fighting itself isn't particularly complex, we're not talking about The Raid type stuff here, but it is satisfying. Su and Yuan's final fight is really good and bloody. I'm really surprised I rated the movie as highly considering how truly uninspiring the last 40 minutes are. It's obvious that they were struggling and they felt the story was incomplete, even though it had reached its natural conclusion, so they stretched it out much longer than it honestly needed to go. I realize it would feel like there were some unresolved issues, but the movie would've been much better. It's still good though, but it should've been better. If you're going to watch the film, shut it off after Yuan and Su's final fight. You will thank me for it, the film doesn't fall apart, but it decreases in quality greatly. Might've given it a good score, but this was very disappointing.

• Jun 29, 2014

just like any other martial art revenge movie, but this is on Drunken Fist.

just like any other martial art revenge movie, but this is on Drunken Fist.

• Dec 16, 2013

Riveting martial arts action sequences (nothing less is expected from Yuen Woo ping) make this fantasy epic enjoyable , a highly fictionalised story of the life of Begger Su, the man who introduced drunken style kung fu.

• Nov 22, 2013