Trust the Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trust the Man Reviews

January 10, 2012
Dumb story line, sub par acting. Best part was Maggie Gyllenhaal.
½ October 28, 2011
Hmph. Playing six degrees of separation on films this weekend. First connection Maggie Gyllenhaal from Mona Lisa Smile to this. Let's see where this takes me....
October 9, 2011
Maggie Gyllenhaal is amazing as always. She's too good for this movie.
August 16, 2011
What a waste of an indie dream cast (the leads are David Duchovny, Julianne Moore, Billy Crudup, and Maggie Gyllenhaal, with people like Bob Balaban and Eva Mendes in supporting roles). The unfocused plot jumps around way too much between semi-related events. Sadly, an ensemble of characters with romantic problems in New York City does not by itself guarantee an interesting or coherent story.
½ August 13, 2011
good actors trapped in a terrible film
½ July 27, 2011
Finally, a movie about great women settling for douchey dudes who don't deserve them! Almost but not quite worth it for the fun of spotting real New York locations. In light of later revelations, the storyline about David Duchovny's character's sex addiction is hard to watch. And Billy Crudup looks just awful with that goatee.
July 14, 2011
Two couples encounter various difficulties with commitment and fidelity.
It takes an awful long time for this film to get started; it should be used in film classes to show how not to do exposition. During the first act of the film, I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel about these characters -- whether they were to be taken seriously or merely seen as farcical caricatures. But once the film establishes the various problems affecting these relationships, I think it's fairly entertaining. Even Julianne Moore, whom I hate, is tolerable. I especially liked the scene in which dinner guests overhear Elaine bragging about her new beau's manhood to her old beau. And there's a great two-shot in the third act of David Duchovny and Billy Crudup in tuxedos looking as though they're ready for anything but nonetheless clueless.
The ending is, of course, cliche, and some of the supporting characters are too over-the-top to be believed (I'm looking at you Goren [Glenn Fitzgerald] and Dante [James LeGros]), but overall, though I have no idea why it's called Trust the Man, Trust the Man delivers a few laughs for the light-hearted fare it eventually attempts to be.
June 4, 2011
har den här i dvdhyllan
½ April 21, 2011
bun drama con tintes de comedia de las relacioens de 2 parejas y de las pobres decisiones que toman con respecto a su pareja y sus consecuencias... pero hey, es hollywood y nos gustan los happy endings, ademas que los personajes te provocan mucha empatia en algun momento de la pelicula hehe

esta bien, para verla con la pareja y asi
½ April 9, 2011
I was dissappointed. This movie looked like it would tick all boxes with some better than average actors - Julianna Moore is always good and Maggie Gyllanhall (!!) shows some promise. This was gonna be a good little really should have been but it just wasn't. The first 40mins went quite well but the final hour - the final hour was just dull and predictable, not a problem for some movies but this movie had such promise it just failed and almost felt disappointed with itself.
½ April 4, 2011
I found Billy Crudup the best thing in this film. I'm becoming more of a fan
½ February 25, 2011
as much as i love Julianne moore
January 25, 2011
This film made such a deep impression the first time round that we started watching it again having forgotten we'd already seen it. The plot outline should be fine, if a bit fairy tale. The script is awful though, as the characters aren't given actions that bear out their positions. A great cast is wasted here. Some laughs, often about stuff that isn't really funny, and an unrealistic portrayal of the urban NY lifestyle. A bit of a waste of time, sadly.
½ January 24, 2011
Really, this had some good actors and some funny scenes. Not bad at all
½ January 23, 2011
There everything funny about seeing David Duchovny being hit in the side of the head with a ball. Truly the highlight of a chronically upbeat film.
January 23, 2011
Nothing surprise but ok to watch for an evening
January 22, 2011
This film was DIRE. Don't be fooled by the impressive cast list! Pointless meandering plot, unlikeable characters and implausible situations. I fast-forwarded to the clichà (C)d end, laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of it all, and pressed delete. You have been warned ;)