Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters (The Era of Vampires) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters (The Era of Vampires) Reviews

November 22, 2013
AKA "The Hopping Dead". Fans of vampires and zombies should check out this story about jiangshi (stiff corpse), Asia's supernatural hybrid. Nice martial arts too. "The film's action sequences have been staged with a dazzling finesse."
½ July 22, 2013
Most people simply did not get this one. A clever blend of horror, wu xia, and even comedy that has something for everyone. It's a breather from the western vampire tale with it's suave, clean cut bloodsuckers and replaces them with violent, merciless undead horrors and pits them against Taoist martial artists in a film that does not fail to entertain.
½ February 3, 2013
The high-flying action of Hong Kong Horror cinema returns with Tsui Hark's VAMPIRE HUNTERS! Four warriors set out on an epic quest to destroy the powerful vampire lord that has taken up residence in the Jiang household, but it will take all of their strength to defeat him and the legions of the undead that he has cast under his spell. VAMPIRE HUNTERS flows from the same vein of martial arts mayhem, humor, and horror that gave us MR. VAMPIRE in 1985. Director Wellson Chin breathes plenty of spooky atmosphere into the misty 17th century setting and moonlit battles, adding a frightening group of wax-covered corpses and rotting vampires to the mix. While the fast-paced fight choreography and wire work cannot compare to Hark's other pictures, they are very ambitious and extremely effective for the budget. VAMPIRE HUNTER's greatest fault lies in its characters, who each fall into one-dimensional stereotypes that lack definition. Regardless, MR. VAMPIRE fans will find this to be a worthy homage to the 1980's that provides plenty of action, excitement, and entertainment!

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
WrenchLT
October 22, 2011
Another asian action-horror that really needed more story and character development to give it more depth. It's so full of plot holes and characters randomly appear from nowhere without any info on their backstory. It's as if the film starts at halfway through a story. Action-wise it is pretty entertaining and adds a bit of martial arts to the Vampire-slaying mix. It is very much an asian inspired take on the Vampiric genre but is actually more of a Zombie film. Decent entertainment overall, never boring or dull, but could have been better.
September 23, 2011
Flixster friends,if you want to look for Vampires genre combine with martial arts genre,I would urge you go watch Lam Chi Ying's Mr.Vampire trilogies.This one is really poorly made,really.Yes,there is some good fight sequence and good direction but just a few only and bad CGS.While,the Vampire king's make-up does look scary,however seems like they copy the idea from Aliens and Predators.What a waste of great tittle,Vampire Hunters.
½ June 19, 2011
I was both bored and confused.
June 10, 2011
The dubbing takes an already corny film and grinds it into "weak sauce".
The Chinese DON'T HAVE VAMPIRES in their mythology. The ghoulish undead are REALLY CALLED "KYONSHI".
The dubbers try to westernize the Kyonshi and all of it's unique traits by saying "OUR VAMPIRES ARE VERY DIFFERENT."

I find that rot...hard to swallow.
May 26, 2011
just ok melage of kung fu actioner combined with vamp/horror flick
May 25, 2011
Tsui Hark produced this mess of a movie. Not sure if US Version is edited. But this is really hard to watch and keep track of. The movie is all over the place. Most bad Hong Kong movies have decent action. Vampires did not even do that. Do not rent this. Hark what happen to you. Your better than this.
May 4, 2011
Shaolin Ghostbuster vs jiangshi in a Chinese Goth Story. It's a B-flick, but what a lot of fun, fighting against hopping undead: far from the artsy evolutions of wuxia, it's a genre piece to the bone, baroque and popular: a quality in my list. Jump!
March 11, 2011
To be honest, I've been behind on my little list of watched film that need to be rated, so I only recall that this one meanders around way too much for its own good and never really grabbed my attention with either the martial arts nor the horror elements on display.

Give it a look if you're feeling brave, but this one just didn't grab me.
½ November 5, 2010
:) lol hopping zombies and zombies become vampires if the eat someone... a bit of fun but not great.
June 10, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

Entertaining even if it did drag at times.
½ November 4, 2009
Caught this on Hulu--first heard of it on "The Incredibly Strange Film Show". Movie is very strange, granted, but lots of fun Martial Arts fighting the undead to balance it.

BTW, hopping zombies is really funny. Really.
bbcfloridabound
½ October 3, 2009
Master Mao Shan and his four best students?Wind, Thunder, Rain, and Lightning, are searching the countryside for Vampires. No one does Vampire films like this. Plenty of sword play. While searching they stumble on the lair of King Vampire and this dude can fight.. The film is full of great stunts and opens a new look at the vampires and zombies. 4 1/2 stars, get this one you will be blown away.
June 9, 2009
This is one film that really takes the biscuit...and then proceeds to cram it up your arse (pardon my french).

The fight sequences were brilliant, although almost too ostentatious to be taken seriously. In terms of a plot, this was incredibly bad. The fact of the matter is that this is way too silly to be considered a horror, but it misses the mark on comedy. I'm not actually sure how to describe it. A cult classic wannabe.
April 24, 2009
Story was kind of weak. Fighting sequences were great. The vampires were scary floating around and even upside down. The zombie were weird and not really scary when they hop around a lot, but when they fight they were cool.
½ December 5, 2008
underrated action horror
October 31, 2008
This movie is like taking a whole mess of onions and crumpling them up in your bed. Then, getting a bucket of water, one dumps said container on the onions on the bed. Finally, you bed down in the watery concoction.
September 21, 2008
Navet intersidéral à voir absolument ^^