Tuesday, After Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tuesday, After Christmas Reviews

½ December 24, 2016
An engaging drama that gives us the impression that the excellent actors are improvising in the many long takes, so natural and unaffected they seem in their roles. But this Romanian film could have opted for close-ups in its key scenes to enhance the dramatic intensity.
½ August 2, 2016
Not much happening but the actors are incredibly good. Really feel like spying on a break up slowly unraveling. Or is it a change of wife. It's a turtle changing house, for a smaller one, mind you. No blood, no murder suicide, just a change of house. Married people, I'm telling you...
½ August 2, 2016
November 9, 2015
Belongs to that rare crop of movies (Ponette, Mid-August Lunch, Before the Rain, Blame it on Fidel) that is more real than we imagine reality to be. Tuesday, after Christmas is sober, without the falsifications of a musical score. You may not know while you watch what this movie will eventually mean to you, but rest assured, whatever it is, it will be lasting.
May 6, 2014
Brilliant film with extremely believable & natural acting; with an unusual ending which offers an interesting quality to the entire film....a sort of what happens next approach to story telling!
September 2, 2013
"Tuesday, After Christmas" is to be admired for its totally un-showy long shots in which Radu Muntean's actors just talk to one another, and Muntean draws conflict from language and reaction. We don't even really see much of the girl Raluca (Maria Popistasu) with whom Paul (Mimi Branescu) is having an affair in comparison to his partner Adriana (Mirela Oprisor), especially once the eventual secret's out. In the first scene of "Tuesday" we see Paul and Raluca post-coitus in bed one either gloomy morning or gloomy afternoon, when she makes him promise to quit smoking after the holidays. But by the few weary final frames it's Paul who's left to his own devices, in a movie about consequences catching up with time, and vice versa. You'll for sure be thinking about "Tuesday, After Christmas" long after then.
Harlequin68
½ January 19, 2013
To start, "Tuesday, After Christmas" has certain things in common with other Romanian films that caused the Romanian New Wave to implode, taking half of Hungary with it, such as epic and talky static scenes. While this movie does not take care to accent the consequential scenes over the less so(yes, we get it already that the movie takes place near the Christmas holidays), it still does have a stunning opening of Paul(Mimi Branescu), a banker, and his younger mistress Raluca(Maria Popistasu), a dental hygienist, frolicking in bed together and eventually a devastating climactic scene. In between is a perceptive behavorial study into how people act when they are around different people. Paul is at his most relaxed when he is around Raluca, maybe because he realizes how lucky he is that a beautiful woman is paying attention to him, considering his being middle-aged and overweight. Otherwise, they have to be careful to not acknowledge each other when he and his wife Adriana(Mirela Oprisor) bring in their daughter to have braces installed. For the record, Adriana and Paul simply share that familiar manner of two people who have been together for a long time.
½ January 4, 2013
A very bourgeois Christmas! For example, I don't think I'd ever before seen such an accurate depiction, subtle, pervasive, and oppressive, of their consumption of commodities. "It's not Noah's ark! It's the Barbie Party Cruiser."
½ November 16, 2012
Here's another film that really benefitted from discussion. The director was methodical in his story telling, yet sneaky in his camera choices. People were deliberately left out of frames in several scenes, providing extra focus on one character while minimizing the other's impact in the scene. We've seen this same adulterous affair played out in countless movies, but this was one of the first I've seen where the script tried to humanize each player. No one wins in these situations, and he made it clear that, even after the end of the script, the characters had much more to overcome. I'd like to watch it again to pay more attention to the periphery and less to the subtitles.
October 22, 2012
En fait le roumain c'est pas super compliqué a comprendre.
½ August 31, 2012
A married man finds himself torn between his young lover and his wife of ten years and finds he must choose which direction he wants his life to proceed. Complicating matters is the child he and his wife are raising. The acting was quite good, the cinematography complemented the story, and the opening scene in particular was very, very sensual. The emotions were genuine and the motivations were fairly clear. But maybe it was the bleak nature of the story and that we pick up his affair in midstream and never get a clear picture of how it began that keeps this viewer from rating it higher. Good, solid film but one that proved lacking in some essential ingredient in the final analysis.
½ August 28, 2012
Realista y una visión bien precisa sobre la infidelidad.
½ July 15, 2012
Another beguiling example of Romanian realism, though without the sinister tonalities of Mr Lazarescu and 4, 3, 2. Definitely a highlight of 2011 films; Watch it on Netflix
June 27, 2012
This film basically just follows normal people, but it has a charm that made me really enjoy it. This movie probes the hardship of relationships and all that, but what interested me was the smart script and the great performances. While subtitled, I still could see the emotion, and unlike Meek's Cutoff, the characters were connectable and ultimately real. Thats all there really is to say about it, its a realistic account of people like Before Sunrise and I wasn't bored by it, which is a testament to the actors and screenwriters.
½ May 24, 2012
During the past decade Romania has become my 2nd favourite place in World Cinema.
½ May 5, 2012
Well acted but not very interesting plot.
April 27, 2012
The film succeeds in creating a totally believable dramatic world and characters. The execution of the long takes is wonderful. Maybe it's a bit too bourgeois and doesn't have a profound philosophical message, but it's still very impressive.
April 2, 2012
Very well-made Romanian drama about infidelity and the consequences that radiate out from it, small-scale though they are.
March 21, 2012