Tuff Turf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tuff Turf Reviews

May 26, 2018
Great cast, great movie all round, one of the best all time for me! :)
March 13, 2017
James Spader x Robert Downey Jr.
February 1, 2017
New kid in school refuses to back down against the most notorious crowd in school and ends up in a fight for his life after he moves in on the leader's main squeeze. You can see the MTV influence, some parts play like music videos of the time. One can't help but think of Meatballs II when seeing Kim Richards.
November 26, 2015
Hey, it's another 80s teen movie with a confusing non-message about class struggle and stuff. In a cockroach and crime-ridden LA neighborhood (a.k.a. Tuff Turf), James Spader and a Robert Downey Jr. sidekick fight for the right to be cool. What's not to love? Spader wins over the hottest girl in school in the process. We learn that the heroes of this movie want nothing more than to have really, really long hair, dance, and party with creepy white lounge singers who thrust vigorously into their saxophones. We also learn that there's a fine line between fighting and dancing--especially when new wave meets white trash meets a Hollywood teenage gang.

Tagline: Spray can vs. knife vs. car vs. bike vs. gun vs. Spader kick vs. dance!
½ April 29, 2015
Cheesy yet watchable.
February 2, 2015
I enjoyed Tuff Turf for what it was, but it is a rather cliche film that goes everywhere you expect it to go the moment you see the first 10 minutes. It's Rebel Without A Cause, somewhat the Karate Kid -- basically you've seen this all before. A rebellious boy Morgan who just moved to L.A. has interest in a girl who belongs to a gang leader (of course a bunch of guys who look much too old for high school), and though he supposedly has this charm of never giving up on her, this path he chooses gets him into a bunch of shit. We never really figure why Morgan is particularly interested in her, maybe because he knows she could do better? I could say that about every prostitute on the streets, but I'm not gonna put my life on the line to help each one out, am I? I know, it's just a flippin' movie, and yes you get a happy ending (not a spoiler) so it seems to pay off, but here's a kid who just wouldn't quit, and you wonder if it really was worth all the shit he went through? For that, the movie's pretty darn stupid. Though I'll let it pass because its the 80's, there's cool music in it, and Robert Downey's gotta small role. ILike I said if you like 80's films, you may enjoy it for what it is, but you've seen this sort of movie many times before.
September 25, 2014
interesting teen movie darker than normal,James Spader has a death wish and keeps flirting with the school psychopaths girlfriend, Robert Downey plays his gay best friend
August 18, 2014
Spader and Downey are I e of the greatest on screen duo I've ever seen. The way they bounce off of each other is phenomenal.
½ June 23, 2014
I love this movie. James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. in the same movie best thing ever.
June 15, 2014
An experience that's easily forgotten.

15.6.14
March 30, 2014
From the director of "Gor" and "Children of the Corn" comes this tale of teen outsider, James Spader, trying to fit in at his new gang ridden high school. He falls in love with Kim Richards, who's best know as Tia from "Escape to Witch Mountain," who also happens to be the girlfriend of the neighborhood gang leader, which doesn't go over too well. However, Spaders new best friend is a quirky kid played by Robert Downey Jr., so that's a good thing for Spader and the audience. Overall, this is a pretty silly "Class of 1984" type of urban nightmare film, but the action is good and seeing Spader and Downey Jr. in early roles goes a long way.
½ February 2, 2014
Good. Kim Richards was so pretty back then, and I liked Robert Downey Jr. in this.
½ May 10, 2013
I think I liked this movie. I was young. There was one scene I remember, when James Spader plays the piano in a posh restaurant to pick up a high society girl.
December 22, 2012
Seen it as a kid but can't remember much of it going to watch it again though
December 2, 2012
should at least see a trailer
½ November 29, 2012
79%

-We Walk The Night-

Not your average, 80's pussy flick. Kim Richards is all grown up. In the end, Hauser was only a 5%. Check out CLASS OF 80.
½ April 4, 2012
This film is most often overlooked as just another teen drama. Before I say anything more I'll acknowledge that is exactly what it is. I would however point out that it set itself far apart from the herd in that only being released halfway through the decade Tuff Turf plays out more like a parody or homage to the 1980s filmed a decade or more later. In fact very few films I have ever seen have ever basted in their own decade-ness as this film does. It rivals other 80s standouts like Weird Science and films from other decades like Hackers, Superbad and Saturday Night Fever in this respect. As far as casting goes for teen dramas in the 80s you can't get better than James Spader and Robert Downey Jr..
April 2, 2012
Great cast, decent film.
March 12, 2012
Great film, brings back many childhood memories. It's cheesy in parts of course (teen 80's) but that's only part of it's charm. I'll never get tired of this film. It's a fun and entertaining viewing experience. Great soundtrack as well.
January 28, 2012
This movie was better than I thought it would be, plus one of my favourite bands played in a scene too! Spader's character is cool, and the story is good, even if it is sorta like Rebel Without a Cause.