Tully - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tully Reviews

½ April 10, 2008
5.5

Nothing new and not done well. Good actors and good directors (Hilary Birminghm) can take an old repackaged story and make for a pleasant and enjoyable film, a nice way to pass the time. But mediocre acting and uninspired directing of an unoriginal story just makes for relatively boring two hours. Julianne Nicholson does the best job.
March 29, 2008
Films like this with the lack of budget and first time filmmaker can often seem so amateur but this completely transcends this with charm and obvious talent. Hilary Birmingham has cast a dedicated bunch of performers and has handled the material gracefully to create a piece of work that really affects. Reminisant, in hindsight, of David Gordon Green.
March 19, 2008
I have been immersed, somewhat, in the "farm-life scene", so I feel slightly credited with identifying the perfect atmosphere displayed here. Country life, although it is certainly not for me, does have an undeniable simplicity to it and "Tully" gets everything, in that respect, just right.
This film tackles some tough issues that allow the characters to become rich and emotionally challenged against the rural Nebraska background. The title character is shallow and detached, but desperately looking for something more. He is naturally attractive, which allows for excessive female attention, but deep down he knows that will never make him happy.
Tully and his younger brother, Earl, have assumed their mother died in a car accident when they were little when, in all actuality, she just abandoned the family. Now that she is dying of cancer, with her medical bills in the family farm's name, is forcing them to foreclose. This is the basic line of the plot and I explain it specifically because it strongly contrasts with the simplicity of these people's natural lives.
The way these characters deal with the tragedies and hardships dealt to them is the heart of this film's success. Nothing in this movie feels "like a movie" and the gap between cinematic objective viewing and reality is bridged, thus opening the flood gate of respect for characters as rich and alive as anyone we know.
That's the beauty of the movies.
½ January 29, 2008
realistic dialogues and well developed characters are so rare to find in movies these days, this movie is a great example of both..
January 29, 2008
yesterday i watched and really one of my fav. now
January 28, 2008
bu filmde herkesin gozleri dehset guzel yahu.. glenn ve anson.. siz insanmisiniz ya?! Gercekten insanustu guzellikteler.. Analar ne evlatlar doguruyo be..
January 19, 2008
What a joy to find a movie that allows all the Characters to grow, this script and acting are great, its a pity more Directors make movies like this.
½ January 14, 2008
w/ wonderful character development and compelling story line makes this movie a wonderful treat. Don't be fooled by the cast, it's well scripted flick.
January 8, 2008
These are the characters I aspire to write one day. Each is richly and infinitely embodied, and, adapted from a story, the film has even the quality of a brilliant short. Furthermore, its depiction of mid-western life is horribly and, I imagine, startlingly accurate, but I'd totally watch it again if only for the wonderfully written characters.
½ January 1, 2008
1111111111111111111111111111
½ November 8, 2007
In its strongest moments, Tully has the quality of a good short story, in the way it details the underlying affection and resentment that creeps into the lives of its four main characters, played with great sensitivity by a cast of mostly unknowns.
½ November 4, 2007
a heartwarming tale of family, love and loss. a keeper.
October 17, 2007
very different and quite sad but good all the same.
October 5, 2007
I watched this last night - really good but a slow-burner. Need to be in the right mood, which luckily I was
½ October 5, 2007
Wow, was this ever not what I thought. From the cover, which shows two characters looking out of a car, almost a bit stressed in my opinion, I was expecting, I don't know, a foreign film about something urban. Of course, one of the make-or-break inclusions was Glenn Fitzgerald, who was a cancer patient when I last saw him. Actually, he was a cancer patient BOTH times I saw him, but nevermind that. That at least told me, though, that this was not in a language other than English--at least, more than likely.

Instead, it turned out to be a slow-moving drama set on a farm. Ok, slight change from expectation, but as I've said, I'm ok with that, and like being surprised. It did take a bit to get used to, though it did open immediately on Anson Mount (the titular Tully, in this case a "Jr.") having a fight around a dirt mound on said farm with Glenn Fitzgerald (as his brother Earl). They were laughing and throwing handfuls of dirt back and forth as their father (Tully Coates Sr, of course, played by Bob Burrus) looked on with some level of disapproval. As these things are wont to do, one of Tully's handfuls goes awry and hits Earl in the eye. As always happens, Early immediately forgets the light-hearted nature of the fight and begins yelling profanities at his brother. At this point, Tully Sr. decides to step in and admonish the two of them for screwing around.

Soon we see Earl in a theatre enjoying a movie with one eye covered in gauze, and Tully comes in to pester him to go out looking for women with him. Now, I'm set dead against Tully at this point, for being a jerk to his brother and for committing the cardinal sin of talking in a movie theatre, loudly, obnoxiously and with no regard for those asking him to shut the hell up. Oops, it's going to be an uphill battle for my sympathies now.

We see Tully at work now in a bar, sitting with a few friends when he's informed that April Reece, local "hottie" is staring at him. He eventually works his way over there and has a conversation with her. The next day, the two of them go out for the hour she has before work and have sex in the back of his car. She leaves him to walk home from there--not because she's hurt, but because she doesn't really care.

As seems to be inevitable in most films set on a farm, yes, a nervous and unhappy man appears with a letter which Tully and Earl's father reads privately, and yes, there's that word--foreclosure. It's not addressed as melodrama, thankfully, since the concept itself is enough of a clichÚ. But it works just fine anyway. They are, as you might have gathered, a family of three alone, as their mother (Tully Sr's wife, naturally) died fifteen years earlier.

The only other primary character to really worry about is Ella, a neighbor and friend to Earl, who is not happy with Tully's irritatingly hedonistic womanizing and self-centered outlook--berating his father for letting him look "stupid" when he discovered the bank had frozen their assets after finding out about the foreclosure, instead of worrying in any way about the foreclosure itself. Ella ignores Tully for much of the movie, because she's a smart girl and is not going to fall for his usual charms and appearance, but we can see glimmers of something in her for him as a human being (wherever THAT is).

Honestly, though, we do start to see the cracks in the fašade that Tully maintains to have sex with a half dozen women around town--he feels alone and abandoned by his mother for her death, and is not willing to care much about anyone or anything else except himself to avoid that same feeling coming back to him.

For a cast of folks I knew absolutely nothing about, barring Glenn Fitzgerald (Earl, for the record, is a more compassionate if angsty son to Tully Sr.) and John Diehl, who plays a small role as a man who had an affair with the late Irene Coates, I was pretty impressed with the performances. A late night conversation between the two Tullys was especially of note. When they've both said everything they're willing to say--even if not everything they're thinking of saying--there's a pause, as Tully Jr. stares off, arms folded and leaned against a table, in that awkward way that fights end, before he finally walks out. It's very natural.

Apparently I was not as impressed as most people considering the ratings floating around the various sites I frequent and use to remind myself of actor names (or their previous experiences), but such is life. It was a pleasant enough movie, very well put together, but nothing terribly special in my opinion.
October 4, 2007
Masals─▒ bir anlat─▒m
September 18, 2007
Excellent movie... and oh so sad. So few good movies are made about the Midwest; this is one of them.
September 16, 2007
A great movie. They captured a real slice of life.
September 4, 2007
I thought it was excellent and refreshing. I loved the characters and I loved the 'realness' of the whole project. It is by no means a happy jaunt but it presents the levels a father will go to, to protect his children and what he has worked so hard for.
August 13, 2007
This has got to be one of my favorite movies. Thank you, Netflix!