Tune in Tomorrow... (Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tune in Tomorrow... (Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter) Reviews

½ April 29, 2015
Even if it's sometimes too fast paced, and Keanu predictably stiff, 'Tune In Tomorrow' is still an enjoyably kooky look at love and radio dramas. Aside from Amiel's energetic direction and a chucklesome script, the film is mainly carried by a wonderfully offbeat Falk as the embodiment of the eccentric writing genius who sometimes go a little too far.
½ December 6, 2012
Keanu Reeves and Barbara Hershey are fun to look at, but their strange line readings are alienating. Peter Falk's character is supposed to draw everything together, but he only distracts by his odd outfits and blotchy face make up. Many other talented actors in minor parts. I've read the book the movie is based on, and one thing that I remember was that Pedro was anti-Argentine, I think. When this is transposed to Albanians, the racism is defused, since being against Argentines if you're Peruvian is more like being anti-Mexican or anti African American. The movie makes racism into an almost endearing trait, with the albanians being humorless for not being able to take a joke. The film did have a cheerful, sunny quality, and the music by Marsalis and the Neville brothers is beautiful.
½ July 31, 2012
I used to be a shameful drooling Keanu Reeves fan, I can't believe I've never heard of this one!

July 31st, MMXII: Aaaand there's a good reason for that. This movie tries too damn hard and just doesn't have what it takes. It's not funny. At best it's droll, but you can pick out the spots where you're supposed to laugh and just don't. I can think of only one gag that I found amusing. I spent most of the running time of this movie looking at my watch. Every character that was supposed to be endearing was wooden at best and irritating at worst. Peter Falk was the worst offender. I watched this movie all the way to the end before I realized that I had sat through this piece of crap once before. I just wish I had learned the first time.
March 31, 2012
This was surprisingly irrevrent and fun - not to mention hilarious. It's an interesting story with some great one-liners and just an overall fun atmosphere. It also has a sensational cast with Peter Falk, Hope Lange, Peter Gallagher, Elizabeth McGovern and Patricia Clarkson, all with great supporting parts. However, the only glaring flaw of the cast is actually its two leads: Keanu Reeves and Barbara Hershey. Keanu just feels like he doesn't belong in this movie and barely squeeks by with a lackluster performance while Barbara just doesn't seem all that into it. If these two parts had been cast with more appropriate actors, this could have been a real classic. I do think it's a sort of classic as is, but there's room for improvement. Overall, it's definitely enjoyable and should give you a few laughs.
December 21, 2011
I'm partial to this film due to the book it's based on, Vargas Llosa's Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, but as with the book the funness of it all gets old as the movie goes along. Three stars may be too generous, but it just does such a nice job of incorporating 1950s radio drama (and subtly bringing up soap opera/ mass media theory) that I feel stingy for giving it less.
November 13, 2011
Trite and unfunny..This would have been a lot better if the focus was on the radio dramas of the 50's instead of the stupid love story between a twice divorced older woman and her by marriage Nephew.
October 31, 2011
An incredible waste of time...
FilmFanatik
July 14, 2011
December 26, 2009
Cute, hilarious, funny performances by (a very young) Keanu Reeves, Barbara Hershey and especially Peter Falk, as the radio scriptwriter with a personal thing against Albanians. Spoiled only by Keanu's weak attempt at a southern accent, but I forgive that because, as usual, he's absolutely adorable.
April 26, 2009
Gosh, a terrible movie. One of the worst I've seen in times. The whole story is inconsistent, a little perverted and just stupid.. And beside that it's Keanu Reeves' worst performance ever.
You shouldn't watch this movie, it's a waste of time.
September 17, 2008
Love Keanu Reeves, but this one fell flat.......I thought it was boring
½ July 19, 2008
Be nice to the Albanions.
June 8, 2008
A pure guilty pleasure! Shameless fun! Even downright insulting to some! It might make you cringe but I promise you'll love it.
May 1, 2008
A sort of chaotic story and at one point you really want to kill the little meddler.
January 24, 2008
Je dois etre complement à coté de la plaque : j'ai adoré. Je ne l'ai pas revu - serais-je décue?
½ December 16, 2007
Pretty strange. The Albanians make the movie.
½ October 30, 2007
Okay, the original is not so funny, but the German version cracked me up. I couldnt stop laughing about the Albanians....
August 21, 2007
No, what if I don't wanna!
June 29, 2007
I don't even remember this movie coming out but I recall others that came from the same year this came out...hmm. It has Keanu Reeves sure I want to see it, plus it's before Speed...want to see his other less known or earlier work.