Tunes of Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tunes of Glory Reviews

½ September 12, 2015
A clever little gem, bolstered by two commanding performances. The results are unexpected yet awe-inspiring.
June 21, 2015
The breakdown of military discipline and order. Guinness is powerful with a Scottish accent and commanding presence.
½ December 13, 2014
this movie really taste like "twelve O'clock hight"
½ July 18, 2013
It sets up a few conflicts that never got fully explored or resolved. Never knew what was going to happen (in a bad way) but you forget Alec Guiness is not scottish. Nice to view but easily forgettable
May 7, 2013
Alec Guinness In A Magnificent Unparalleled Acting--A Shattering Dissection of a Scottish Regiment!!
½ January 12, 2013
Always love it when a film turns out different than I predict. Amazing performances, gorgeous production.
½ July 6, 2012
It seems that I'm in a minority of one with this film, but I don't care. From the very outset, this film bored me rigid. Everything about it from the pantomime over-Scottishness of it all, the silly military regimentality, the lack of anything happening, the 'comedy', just everything. I fought on despite myself but by halfway, I had to give in. 5/10 if I'm being generous.
May 15, 2012
Guinness steals every scene, but every scene feels like a scene in a play.
May 4, 2012
Alec Guinness eats scenery left and right and John Mills seeths on the sideline as two Scottish officers clash in a bloody war of the wills. At stake is an idea: what kind of Army, and by implication, what kind of civilisation do we have? One run by thugs acting like gentlemen, or one where gentlemen act like thugs? (Decide for yourself where you fit in the scheme of things while you watch) By no means just a two man show a regiment of supporting cast hold the flanks of this excellent, if old school, production. A must see if you've an interest in things military washed clean of propagandist rhetoric.
March 29, 2012
This can be viewed as a psychological battle of wills, but its message is quite subtle and has good impact. Alec Guinness is passable as a Scot and rarely lapses into the Englishness he plays on in so many other of his classics.
½ March 16, 2012
Directed by Ronald Neame (Gambit (1966), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) and The Poseidon Adventure (1972)), based on a novel by James Kennaway, (who did the screenplay here), this is a powerful, dramatic play on film, with some good performances to it's name, with it's lead playing against type, but absolutely perfect in the role. Set in Edinburgh at a Military Academy of a Highland Regiment, it has Colonel Jock Sinclair (Alec Guinness) is celebrating his last day as Commanding Officer of the Battalion, and he is to be replaced by Lieutenant Colonel Basil Barrow (John Mills), who is a much more restrained and formal Colonel compared to the tempered and opinionated Sinclair, and Sinclair dismisses Barrow as a "stupid wee man". But, things come to a head when Sinclair discovers that his daughter Morag has been secretly dating Pipe Major Maclean (Duncan MacRae), and he finds the two of them in a pub, and Sinclair assaults Maclean, which is an illegal offence which will lead to a court-martial, but this raises tensions further between Sinclair and Barrow, as well as the rest of the men in the Battalion. It's a power character piece, a successful film upon release, but almost forgotten now. Guinness is an absolute force of nature in the film, not a man to mince his words, while Mills plays it quietly subdued, hiding a tortured past, with support from Gordon Jackson and Dennis Price, this is one of British Cinema's best kept secrets.
March 12, 2011
I really enjoyed watching two titans of British cinema acting together but the story as a whole was much less rewarding than I had hoped. Still, it is an interesting character study.
September 13, 2010
sir alec guiness proves himself once again. a british military story. anything but a war story. john mills also plays very well across from guiness. its a veiled look at class divisions and the prejudices that lie within them. what an ending.
½ August 2, 2010
Neame knew how to stay out of the way.
May 25, 2010
A battle for leadership of a Scottish battalion after World War II, Alec Guinness and John Mills played the main roles in this very surprising film.
½ March 8, 2010
Alec Guinness is brilliant here. This movie sticks with you. Fantastic
½ February 6, 2010
Timeless tale of a Scots regiment. Classic.
February 4, 2010
Alec Guinness is simply unstoppable as Col. Jock Sinclair.....just watch it for the final "Tunes Of Glory" monologue at the end....
½ September 21, 2009
Much deeper than it appears. Two very different Colonels are at odds, and yet perhaps not...Alec Guinness is so very brilliant...John Mills is wonderful...this is a must-see.
July 6, 2009
One of the best army movies ever made.