The Tunnel of Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tunnel of Love Reviews

½ April 5, 2014
Gene Kelly directed this likable thought lightweight Doris Day comedy. Day and husband Richard Widmark are a couple wanting to adopt a child and have lost of misadventures as they try to cut through all the adoption red tape. Gig Young is Widmark's likable neighbor and Gia Scala is the attractive adoption caseworker. It's nothing wildly original, but the bright cast and the amiable script carry the day.
½ September 22, 2013
Offbeat comedy about a couple wanting to adopt a baby, but encountering obstacles along the way. Widmark is unusually cast in a comedic role, as a husband who is always on edge. Through a huge misunderstanding, he thinks he's been unfaithful with the investigator from the baby agency. This has been been done a billions times since the movie premiered in 1958, so it'll come as no shock to today's audiences. His best friend and married neighbor, played by Gig Young, is so openly free about his dalliances he's sort of hard to like. Doris Day plays the hopeful wife wanting to adopt the first baby that comes along, but Widmark's behavior leads to the possibility that the adopted baby may actually be his for real. The coincidences that would have to occur for this to happen make the story rather silly, but the cast tries hard to make it funny. Sometimes it is, but ultimately it's merely a curiosity from first-time solo-director Gene Kelly.
January 7, 2013
I actually liked most parts of this movie. It did have strange characters and a lousy script but it really does have funny parts and Doris Day makes this movie worth watching!
½ November 17, 2010
This movie is pretty hilarious for the most part, but it's sometimes kind of annoying and silly too. Overall it's a pretty good romantic comedy, it's fun.
½ July 27, 2010
just ok not my cup of tea but watchable
January 20, 2009
I didn't like the plot that much but the actors were good.
November 4, 2008
I LOVE ALL DORIS DAY MOVIES. THIS WAS A CUTE MOVIE, BUT NOT ONE OF MY FAVORITE.. I WOULD WATCH IT AGAIN AND AGAIN THO LOL IT STARTS OUT GOOD FOR ME, THEN GOES IN A DIRECTION THAT I DIDNT EXPECT.. BUT I LOVE THE SONG RUNAWAY SKIDDLE SKADOO THAT SHE SINGS IN THIS MOVIE..