Tupac: Resurrection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tupac: Resurrection Reviews

½ October 14, 2015
Good documentary narrated by Tupac himself
½ July 10, 2015
I'm not sure I love this director but Tupac's story and charisma are enough for any doc to look good.
February 12, 2015
Good movie about a guy
January 26, 2015
2pac the best documentary movie RIP 2pac makaveli the don
September 5, 2014
brilliant & moving. great music too.
August 7, 2014
Tupac 4.ever good bio
August 6, 2014
The best movie about tupac ever made
June 16, 2014
Although I didn't know all that much about Tupac himself, I was a fan of his music and knew of his legacy, so I felt that a documentary about him would be an interesting thing to check out.

Tupac Shakur is a man with a huge legacy as a rapper, and I always wondered why. Tupac: Resurrection revealed just why, because he changed the face of rap music forever and gave it a new face. The man was a very spiritual figure and had a lot of respect for his fellow human beings, so despite his ties into a world of crime he actually was a positive influence on people and you can tell that this is one of the things that director Lauren Lazin emphasises in Tupac: Resurrection.
It is difficult to create a documentary as deep and meaningful as Tupac: Resurrection is when the person of the subject matter being covered cannot be intereviewed due to having passed away, but Lauren Lazin manages to put a lot of depth into the life of Tupac Shakur by not adhering to the standard conventions of documentary filmmaking. The fact is that she gives viewers insight into the kind of person that Tupac Shakur was by showing many of the interviews he gave throughout his life and the news reports that plagued his existence gives us all a powerful look at the human being that he was and brings his spirit back for the film. Tupac: Resurrection really does Resurrect Tupac Shakur's legacy for the sake of the film, and it gives the film an awesome spirit which makes it constantly captivating.
The central flaw in Tupac: Resurrection is the fact that the film ends at his death. Although it is clearly intended to focus more on his life, once the story coverage gets to the point in which Tupac Shakur is murdered it doesn't expand upon the investigations about him, the later murder of Biggie Smalls or the way that his death affected society afterwards. It is clear that Tupac: Resurrection is more about Tupac's life than it is about his death and in that retrospect it did a great job, but there is a lot of relevance to Tupac Shakur that draws from his murder and the fact that Tupac: Resurrection decided simply to skip over that left me somewhat disappointed.
But aside from that issue, Tupac: Resurrection was still a terrific film. It follows Tupac Shakur from the beginning of his life as he started from the bottom and used his rap reputation to influence a lot of positivity in society and influenced many musicians, and yet the whole time he remained a peaceful and humble human being. One of the things about Tupac: Resurrection is that it breaks down the myth of rappers being violent people and depicts Tupac Shakur as an innocent man dragged into many criminal events through unfair forces. He admits to having sold drugs at one point for a brief period of time, but has audiences sympathising with him for it simply because he really needed the money. And a lot of the points he raises in the film are great, even while he is facing charges of criminal behaviour. It is hard to walk away from Tupac: Resurrection without sympathy for the man because he was such a good spirit even though he made some bad decisions, and a lot of the things he says have serious importance to him. For example, I had no idea that Tupac Shakur found society to be constantly exploiting women in an unfair sexual manner while talking about the double standard for them and asserting that it was not created solely by men. He even talks about how although there are women of a sexual nature in some of his music videos, it is simply for crowd appeal and he always asks a woman permission before he does something as far as touching her on the butt which you can seriously respect him for.
Tupac Shakur never seemed like such a deep man, but Tupac: Resurrection presents inconceivable depth to him which is thoroughly impressive, and it does so while constantly maintaining a gritty and lurid edge to remind viewers the kind of harsh life that he was forced to live. It emphasises how important he is as a cultural figure and as a human being, revealing the kind of genius in him as an artist and a person without every sticking to any single side. It shows him in flashbacks, news reports and interviews which have been assembled excellently and structured in a fine chronological order without forgetting to be insightful, and in doing that it compares the real man Tupac Shakur was to the figure he was portrayed as in the media and contrasts the two with simple honesty. There are still a lot of questions viewers are likely to have after seeing Tupac: Resurrection, but the fact is that it answers enough of them as well as inspiring them to go ahead and find out the answers to the rest themselves. And all the while, the film stays on subject matter about Tupac Shakur which is consistently entertaining without resorting to fictionalisation or dramatization of events, making a constant effort to ensure that everything relevant to the subject matter finds its way into the story. So Tupac: Resurrection constantly keeps a fine balance, and there was never a moment in the film that made me feel like it was lying.
And with an excellent soundtrack full of excellent rap beats, Tupac: Resurrection constantly has the right mood in play to project its story.

So although Tupac: Resurrection doesn't precisely touch upon his death all that much or the impact he had on society all that widely, the way that it looks deeply into the man of the title is just excellent and really gives Tupac Shakur precisely the kind of honour that he has grown to deserve in culture while introducing audiences to things they never would have known about him in the first place
½ March 23, 2013
An interesting look inside the life of the dangerous life of one of the world's greatest rappers.
February 25, 2013
A lot of things I didn't know that I know now ;)
January 7, 2013
Fascinating. I learned a lot. I want to see this Movie again.
No wonder He's such a star.
January 6, 2013
Runnin' (Dying to Live)!
toejambaseball24
½ January 3, 2013
This was a pretty amazing documentary. I was legitimately mesmerized by some of Tupac's interviews, which are very effectively used as narration for the entire film. He was a true poet, and I'm not sure that I've ever seen anybody express themselves so eloquently and with such persuasion as he did when he was talking about something he was passionate about. Great stuff.
December 31, 2012
best documentary i ve seen for a while
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 17, 2012
This is a one sided movie, but it is amazing. Entertainment Value:9/10 if you like Tupac, and 7.5-9/10 if you don't. Movie Quality:8/10. Could have expanded on certain parts of his life but this movie made me have so many nerdgasms that I was hooked.
8/10
November 16, 2012
A great documentary/film of rap legend Tupac Shakur. Absolutely loved it. Pac was and still is the best rapper of all time period!!
November 13, 2012
Grande documentário sobre um gênio da música norte-americana.
August 14, 2012
tupac ixs the greatest rapper to ever live