Turok: Son of Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Turok: Son of Stone Reviews

½ April 26, 2016
very violent , okay story line ...
½ September 21, 2015
I did read some of the Turok comics back in the day and I liked them. They were basic stuff. Violence was the plot. The stories were always a little more in-depth, fortunately. I'm not politically incorrect and I do like violent films, comics, etc.

This is not a terrible film. It did provide me with the minimum decency of nostalgia. Still, since I never read the original comic upon which this film is based...I can't help but wonder if the comic has as many holes in the story as this film. Such as...it was never explained how Chichak, or his tribe, acquired firearms, the ammunition to operate them...or the horses. American Indians did not acquire them until after Europeans arrived in `the New World`, i.e., the Americas. And since they did not arrive until the late 1400's and since it would be a good two hundred years or so before the two cultures trusted each other enough to legitimately trade things with one another of such importance, i.e., weapons & transportation, this film certainly seems to be more about catering to some demographic that doesn't care or doesn't know enough to care. Perhaps there is room for all three possibilities...

(And perhaps for multiple reasons. I detest conspiracy theories; but, if I was a conspiracy theorist I might conclude that this film mongers about the influence of technology... That the only good ppl are those that don't sellout for what is bigger, better, more powerful, etc. That it even hates white ppl.

Glenn Beck I am not.)

Why Turok actually told Chichak where they could, honestly, find the `Cliff Ppl` is a mystery that I don't care to solve or have solved. I do understand why Turok told Chichak 'something'... Doing so bought them time, for Chichak to get complacent, so that Turok & Andar could escape, so that Turok could devise a plan to kill Chichak, preferably before he tracks down the Cliff Ppl, & for Turok & Andar to stay alive; but, telling Chichak where to actually, & honestly, find the Cliff Ppl only made those things harder & less likely to be achieved. How Turok could be so courageous & brave one moment & then a moment later be so weak, thoughtless & cowardly is pathetic.

Perhaps the plot wasn't the worst possible plot. It was tired, old, predictable & rather corny; but, I am confident that it could have been worse. The story was the worst part. It was bad.

By no means was this the worst film that I've ever seen; but, still. This sucked.
½ April 13, 2015
One of these movies that finally bubbled to the top of my queue, and I am wondering what possessed me to put it there in the first place -- ah well, don't watch this one. Story is incoherent, animation is nothing to write home about.
June 24, 2014
boring and seems to have been made 20 years before it was. I am not a Turok fan but even fans could not be happy with this cheaply made and instantly forgotten animated snorefest
½ August 30, 2013
While it doesn't do full justice to the Turok legacy, it's still a decent enough film that captures the overall feeling. While there's more blood then there should be, and a fairly cliche plot, there's plenty of action and emotion. The dinosaur scenes are great, while they're not exactly the main focus of the story. Overall, it's better than what I was expecting, though not as good as it could be. Truth be told, Turok is tough to turn into a film.
July 26, 2013
Well-animated and enjoyable. A bit violent, but well worth a watch.
January 10, 2013
I would like to see the full movie.
April 22, 2012
was ok for animation
½ June 19, 2011
Creative. I enjoyed it.
½ January 17, 2011
Coming from it's roots and video game history, I was still quite surprised at the amount of blood in this film, which puts Akira and Ninja Scroll to shame. The story starts off as one thing, switches to another, then again. The end does not feel like a complete finish and leaves tons of questions unanswered and experiance lacking.
xtremeandy
½ February 27, 2010
I have to say that overall we have no-holds bar action and violence. There are severed heads, blood splattering, and Turok delivering good old fashion beat-downs on enemy warriors and dinosaurs alike. Turok's design is good and stays true to his comic origins. His sidekick from the comics, Andar, is there too. And the designs for the Lost Land and the dinosaurs within are all very well done. On the other hand, the animation reminds me of some of the recent Marvel and DC animated projects. And while I think that style is good, it just didn't seem to fit with all the violence. Overall, the voice cast is just OK. No one, not even Turok, seems to stand out. The musical score is great at times- very orchestral and moving. But other times, it's almost synthesized and doesn't fit with the movie. It's an origin story for Turok and covers all the basics while adding new reasons for him to venture into the lost land. I just think this more mature movie would have benefited from more mature animation.

The story is really quite simple - one day Turok and his brother encounter warriors from an enemy tribe, and defending a girl from their village (Turok's brother future wife) they get into a fight. Turok goes berserker mode and slashes through the enemies... and his brother. In his rage Turok almost kills his brother and the shaman of their tribe sends him into exile. Some 16 years later Turok is asked for help by his brother's son. Turok seems grumpy for being casted away and refuses to take part in the action. But later the boy returns and brings news that his tribe is almost wiped out. Turok takes his tomahawk and goes to help his bro, only to find him almost dead... and he eventually dies after he asks Turok to swear that he will take care for the boy and his mother. Back to the village the leader of the aggressors recognizes Turok's tomahawk - it was his father's and Turok took it years before at that battle in the beginning of the movie. The bad guy wants to avenge his father's death and goes on a rampage, trying to kill Turok. Going through a cave the Indians find themselves in The Lost Land (quite like Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World) - where dinosaurs and prehistoric mammal beasts coexist with savage hordes of "The Missing Link" or something (you know, some huge ugly hard-to-kill humanoid hulks) and Indian tribes. The battle continues...

There is not much of a dialog. No memorable quotes, no one-liners. I feel that the characters are somehow flat, they lack emotional depth and motivation. No inner struggle, no inside conflict. And no comic relief.

The quality of the animation is above average, but far from great. Nothing you haven't seen - no innovative style or some recognizable character design. It's not bad, it's OK. And there are some nice looking Indian chicks :) The backgrounds are not really detailed, but on the other hand - what's there to be detailed? Rocks and cliffs? The dinosaurs are OK, but they lack color nuance and shading. And so do the characters in some scenes. And I forgot to mention - there is not a trace of some fancy 3D CGI cell-shading stuff, which I find good - old fashioned 2d works just fine for me. The only thing that seemed crappy were the computer generated flames for the fire effects in some scenes.

There's plenty of action, gallons of animated blood and even some cut-off limbs. But that will only shock you if you've been watching Bambie all your life. The blood and the battles are no match for a good anime style fight, where everything is presented with some wicked camera angles, fast movements and dramatic pauses. There's an attempt for a showdown at the end of the movie, but it doesn't really work out like in the spaghetti westerns.

All in all - the movie is worth watching, it has its moments, but it could have been much more. I enjoyed it because we rarely have the chance to see something more mature oriented and not-anime.

The character designs look like a watered down version of Mulan and Pocahontas, spliced with the more modern stylized aesthetics of the Legion of Superheroes cartoon series. The art is FLAT. Clothing detail and shadowing are kept to a bare minimum with almost no shading other than a flat color fill for many of the action scenes. The backgrounds are OK, standard animation backgrounds. More lush than those in TV series but not as detailed as those in movies.

The animation for the most part is stiff and choppy. It is about as good as Superman: the Animated series or Gargoyles. This is a 2008 animated movie that has the animation quality of 1990s TV series.

It not only looks bad, but sounds bad. The sound effects come across as a little fake and the mixing is all over the place. Punches sound the same as tree branches cracking, arrows hitting a stone wall sound the same as axes hitting a wooden shield. Whats more, the dinosaur sounds are very obviously lion roars, maybe taken off national geographic or animal planet. No attempt whatsoever was made to give the dinosaurs unique sounds.

The story and characterization are also nothing to speak of. It is a straight forward adventure story with little twists and no surprises. A exiled warrior has to save his old friend and her son from a twisted warlord from a rival tribe. Through some mishap, they land up in a lost world of Dinosaurs and cavemen from which they must now fight for their very survival and hopefully make it back out alive. The characters all lack depth and never in the whole movie does one get to emotionally relate to any of them. They are just "there" to move the story along to the next fight scene.

A few good pointers to this otherwise dismal film. The fight scenes are awesome. When the action starts, suddenly the level of animation jumps to new heights. Utilizing some of the smoothest slow motion seen in animation, some of the fight scenes seem visibly influenced by films like "300". (I think they blew most of the budget on these superbly animated fights). Bloodletting is at an all time high with severed limbs, torn flesh and broken bones in rich gory detail. Also, though the dinosaurs don't sound cool,they look cool. The lack of proper shadowing and shading make some dino scenes look flat but their designs and movement animation seem spot on when compared to other dinosaur films like Jurassic park.

During 20 years in exile, Turok has become a powerful and feared warrior. He now returns home to find his village destroyed and his family slaughtered at the hands of the ruthless tyrant Chichak. On a mission of vengeance, Turok must journey to the Lost Land, a savage place forgotten by time, where primeval beasts hunt all who enter. Turok will face his greatest battle as he fights man-eating dinosaurs, merciless cave dwellers, and the darkness inside himself to take revenge on his sworn enemy. In this epic journey, Turok will find his destiny. In this Lost Land A legend is born.
½ February 24, 2010
I will never look at a stone in the same way again.

If you grew up learning predominately from your Nintendo 64 like me, you'll be going to the pictures to see this one with high expectations, and it doesn't disappoint.

We all know Turok as an ice cool dinosaur destroyer of a man, complimented with a lean sunkissed body to be envied. Consequently the casting of Tariq Ijandi raised some eyebrows. With a complexion to match Turok's attitude rather than his skin, and a body more suited towards playing the role of a turtle, Ijandi was definitely not the obvious choice.

Set in prehistoric times when dinosaurs were up and about, Turok sets off on a quest to discover more about himself; slowly realising that he will have to explore all the depths and cervices of his worst enemies to do so.

Although our version of Turok doesn't have the tan the ladies wanted to see, or the veins popping out of his biceps to appease our male fanatics, but instead a scattering of veins concentrated around his eye sockets, don't leave this one early and give Tariq a chance.

Once you get round to the fact that he doesn't really fit the bill, Tariq's tenacity, almost wolfish body language and volatile personality may catch you off guard in this depiction of the video game classic. He squares up to some quite frightening beasts, and I've never seen a rock thrown with such commitment; particularly when it pierces through one eye and unexplainably explodes out the other.

Whilst we are on the topic of stones, I can't say im not disappointed by the lack of futuristic and unavoidably devastating weapons. Sure the film is about stones, but we must not forget the film is based on a video game, and not the other way around. I would have much preferred hearing the sound of spike coated winged grenade exploding amongst a heard of raptors; opposed to the somewhat dismal pre pubescent excuse of a roar leaving Turok's lips.

Sure this wasn't the Turok of Nintendo 64, with the volcanic texture of his prominent nose matching the terrain of the locale set in Pompeii more than the actor matching the actual character, but you have to say he tries hard.
January 30, 2010
I remember having a couple of Turok comics as a kid, and then when Valiant Comics reintroduced the character in the late 90's, so it was nice to see that they did a movie. While not the best animated movie that I have seen in the last while, it was a very solid movie that has some great action, although very bloody, so if you have trouble with the sight of blood, even animated blood, then this is not the film for you. Afterall, Blood follows blood.
November 22, 2009
Vionlent, relentless fun.
July 23, 2009
Very good animation based more on the original comic than the video game. Make sure you watch the extras to learn more about the history and how the character has evolved over time. I found it interesting that Turok was one of the first comics to combine Indians and Dinosaurs, two things that all little boys love to learn about.
April 6, 2009
was ok for animation
March 21, 2009
interesting very interesting
March 8, 2009
It was okay. I watched it because nothing else was on
½ December 13, 2008
Demasiada violencia y sangre como para ser para niƱos. Y me parece que la animacion es muy simple y la historia no tiene demasiado interes como para ser para adultos.
½ December 11, 2008
Big monsters and cavemen and injuns and dinosaurs and loads of violence and blood. This has absolutely nothing to do with the video games, skeptics. It's a comic.